Ford Reveals Next Falcon To Steal Commodore Thunder - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2004, 17:19   #1 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Ford Reveals Next Falcon To Steal Commodore Thunder

Found this at carpoint might find it interesting nothing realy new.
FORD REVEALS NEXT FALCON TO STEAL COMMODORE THUNDER
Ford has attempted to rain on arch rival Holden's parade by revealing details of the MKII Falcon in the same week as Holden's significantly improved VZ Commodore goes on sale. More a light sprinkling than a thunderstorm, Ford's modifications pale in comparison to Holden's major mechanical changes.

The Blue Oval boys have been content to shuffle equipment between the models at a time when Holden is revealing an entirely new six-cylinder engine and transmission range. Ford's biggest change is the addition of a six-speed manual transmission to XR models -- interestingly, the same Tremec 'box found in Holden Commodores for the last five years.

The rest of the changes are purely spec related with the base XT model gaining cruise control and automatic headlights -- now standard across the entire range -- and the availability of traction control as an option on manual sedans. Futura now includes side airbags and power adjustable pedals as standard and Fairmont gains parking sensors.

Across the road at Ford's performance arm, FPV, the GT, GT-P and Pursuit Ute all get the new six-speed manual gearbox as standard as will the forthcoming XR6 Turbo-based F6 Typhoon. FPV may have some other minor changes in line but it is keeping quiet until the BA II range is launched at the Australian international motor show in October.

Ford spokesperson Sinead McAlary denied that announcement was timed to spoil the Holden launch. "We had to inform dealers so they could start pre-ordering [the new gearbox]. We decided that once you tell your dealers it may as well be public information so that is why we made the announcement," she says.

One thing Ford is not talking about is price. For that it will definitely let Holden go first.

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2004, 17:36   #2 (permalink)
a.k.a Superoo on IRC

Re: Ford Reveals Next Falcon To Steal Commodore Thunder

skore
Old 08-08-2004, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

does it really matter if its released at the same time or not?

I think motoring jornalist think the public are a bunch of nuff nuffs (yeah ok majority are). But if I was going to buy a new car, I would check all my options. If that meant waiting a couple of weeks, or months for a release of a rival then so be it.

this will only affect those twats that buy a new car just to be the first on the block to own one.

On a side note, the gearing would want to be better than the commy version, I have never heard a good thing about its 6th gear and tallness in general.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 18:22   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

It might have worked if Ford actually had something to say.. MkII press release was toilet paper.

If your going to do ambush marketing, do it right, don't jump out in front of a tank with a fluro green water pistol singing Mary had a little lamb. Mk II press is going to be a side note on page 43 in motor with some comments like its not enough and the only fix was for the XR6T which should have never left broad medows with that origional clunker.

Meanwhile VZ will get the cover, first 10 pages, a lift out and and 15 page test drive. They will talk about the new V6, the more powerful V8's, the new auto, the new manual, the retuning of the old auto, the suspension upgrades, the equipment upgrade, brake upgrade, monaro upgrades, the exterior and interior revisions. How theres something for everyone, and it makes it a far better car.

Ford meanwhile claims autohead lights are going to blow your mind, and stay tuned for 2 or 3 months time when journos might get a drive in the MkII which is exactly the same as MkI except with auto head lights and a gumby badge. MkI was better actually because you could strike a good deal on a run out and didn't have the silly badge sticking out like a wart on its arse. Any added value from new equipment achives nothing.

Yeh, good work Ford, that will ged'em. I'm sure Holden is driving around to the mitsubishi plant right now trying to figure out if its economical to make another 7,000 commodores a month there.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 18:38   #5 (permalink)
.au member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPhido
If your going to do ambush marketing, do it right, don't jump out in front of a tank with a fluro green water pistol singing Mary had a little lamb.

Old 08-08-2004, 18:59   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPhido
Ford meanwhile claims autohead lights are going to blow your mind, and stay tuned for 2 or 3 months time when journos might get a drive in the MkII which is exactly the same as MkI except with auto head lights and a gumby badge. MkI was better actually because you could strike a good deal on a run out and didn't have the silly badge sticking out like a wart on its arse. Any added value from new equipment achives nothing.

Couldn't agree more. If you are a private buyer and not buying a Manual XR then youd be nuts to pay the extra $ for series 2!!
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 19:03   #7 (permalink)
Ford Member

The best thing that can happen is that Gen 4 gets here ASAP so Ford might be forced to do more. If it were not for Holden we would still be driving 185 Windsors.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 19:09   #8 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR XR
The best thing that can happen is that Gen 4 gets here ASAP so Ford might be forced to do more. If it were not for Holden we would still be driving 185 Windsors.
yeah but that works the other way around aswell.

I dont think ford has done a bad job with Mk11. What is wrong with the BA? It was gearing mainly and weight. Gearing, as they have done is an easy fix, but weight will cost $$$ and I dont expect a falcon to have a "good" weight factor untill the next falcon. Im sure it would cost less to make the next falc wiegh less than it does to change the BA. Could be wrong though.

Fords mistake was not changing the visual aspect of the car. Even if the bumpers and headlights were a little different. That would have been enough IMO.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 19:37   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I guess the sales figures will tell whether Ford have got it right or not. No doubt after the big spend on Territory there wasn't a lot left in the bikkie barrel for a BA upgrade - might have been better to say nothing than to offer the little crumbs that have been tossed in.

I get headaches trying to figure out what they are up to in the glass house - presumably someone (hopefully) has a master plan that they are working to beside the one that appears to be selling the Falcon down the toilet. Or maybe I've missed the plot and the great Australian car in the years ahead will be the great Australian Crossover. Certainly that category of vehicle is taking an increasing slice of the market pie but it still doesn't sell in Commodore or even Falcon numbers and volume must still count for something.

I must attend my local dealership soon so that they can explain to me why auto headlights are a much better thing than a decent 5 or 6 speed auto to replace the aged nail of a thing we have now. In the meantime we can be prepared to have the tables turned on us as the Falcon autos and manuals will be the ones in for criticism rather than the COmmy ones as has been the case for several years now.

I'm sure that we'll get one in the not too distant future but it would be nice (even once) to actually be supporting the innovative company rather than the imitating one.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 19:42   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

It really was a brillant move by Ford.. Snatching defeat from the Jaws of victory. You can just imagine what the decision was like for Mk II falcon..

"Hello Gentelmen, this person is Tom Gorman the new CEO of Ford australia. Hes going to strengthen FoMoCo oz's position and retain its technical superiority over our enemy and hard hitting adversting, marketing, reducing costs, improving quality and quantity and superior product development. So Tom, Holdens just about to launch a entire new range of cars, with brand new engines with even more power than ours, transmissions, improvements in handling, loads of new electronic driving aids, various internal/external changes, revisions across the board and they already regularly out sell us and have a lighter and more economical car which is a worry the way fuel prices are going these days we could loose a lot of fleet customers looking a reducing costs. So whats the big plan for the BA series update?"

"I know I have some big shoes to fill, Geoff was a amazing man, no need to worry however,we have it in the bag. Cancel all current development programs immediately, right now, there will be no time after I finish speaking... (everyone gabs their mobile and calls their department) We will make only the bare minium in the way of changes, almost none, we won't need any really, not with our secret weapon. Its really going to blow them away, I know Holden wasn't expecting this, how could they, its pure genius. I've been awake for the past week perfecting it, nobody has seen anything like it in Australia for 30 years. I needed something like this to show Holden who is boss, and to show my strength as the new CEO. Gentelmen this is what we have all been hoping, no, demanding, we've always thought someone would stop us so we have held back. Here it is.."

The lights dim, the music starts, the projector screen rolls down. Everyone goes silent in antipation, quickly dreaming what fantastic thing is going to happen to make this historic moment. What amazing thing has he bought from america. What have they developed in secret! Is it a 6 speed auto and new V8's? Is it a entire new platform? Is it the GTHO? Automatic driving? No it must be bigger than that.. You can hear everyone grab the armrests, eyes fixed on the big empty screen.

Then it appears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mkii.JPG (7.4 KB, 177 views)
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub