Ford Stories - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2001, 05:12   #1 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Ford Stories

I thought I'd start a thread on something different from the usual rumour mill/what mod? threads that are the staple diet of FF. So post any short/long stories as long as it involves a Ford!

Mine does, in fact, LOTS of Ford.

I had a two week trip to the USA, the primary purpose was to attend a giant metalfest in Milwaukee, Wisconsin that has been running for years and years. As a couple fo you know, I run my own record label, and I decided to meet up with a good mate of mine who also runs a label as well. He lives in San Luis Obispo, halfway between LA and San Fran. I arrived at LAX and was picked up in a Ford Excursion, which was a recent purchase of my mate's friend. His father has recently passed away, and this monstrous beast took an incredible chunk out of his inheritance! This thing was massive - V10, all leather interior, seated 8 people and still had more room in the back than your average aussie station wagon (F350 based). I'll skip the LA experience - it was brief, and despite the large amounts of alcohol was very memorable. :D

Anywayz, we drove this thing (near new, probably not the best way to run the engine in...) from Cali to Milwaukee, and back again - 5000 miles all up. That's close to 8000Ks, otherwise known as a bloody long way! We drove via Las Vegas/Denver to Milwaukee, and was probably the least exciting half of the journey. Milwaukee was great, but the metalfest was a bit of a let down for me. for a country with 250 million+ people, it wasn't what I expected. Still, met lots of people, guys in bands, etc so from that perspective it was loads of fun.

The trip home was heaps better - especially South Dakota (the state we stayed in the most during the trip, other than Cali/Wisconsin of course...). SD women are very wild - maybe not as glammy as the LA chicks but a lot more down to earth!

We stopped into the Ford dealer at Sturgis (South Dakota, home of the Sturgis rally - 1 million plus people on Harleys and other bikes - we were there one week before it started so it was bikes galore even then!) to give the Excursion a service. I was yakking to one of the sales guys at the Ford dealer, and when he asked what I drove (the EA S at the time), his jaw hit the floor. 'You guys still make Falcons??'. 'Yeah, and Fairmonts/Fairlanes too!' which made him spin out even more. I told him about our Ford range in general, which he seemed pretty impressed with! Just to ensure I didn't leave unsatisfied (after mentioning the XRs, he took me to the locked up showroom and let me sit in a brand new Saleen Mustang convertible that was very very awesome. I didn't want to get out of the thing!! They also had one of those Ford Explorer, ute based sport SUVs which was very cool as well.

I did actually drive the Excursion for a few stints. Driving on the wrong side of the road is definitely a weird experience. However, this thing drove itself! The engine has lots of power, but loads of torque too. Even with the mass of SUV's there (we dwarfed your average Explorer sized 4WD!) everyone seemed to move out of the way. Saw tonnes of Mustangs, but only one Viper.

Anywayz, that's my Ford-influenced pile of drivel...next!
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2001, 05:34   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

I'm hoping to get an overseas Ford experience when we hire a focus and a mondeo in the UK!!! The only other stories I've got are the one's I've already dribbled here... :o
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 05:43   #3 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford Man
I'm hoping to get an overseas Ford experience when we hire a focus and a mondeo in the UK!!! The only other stories I've got are the one's I've already dribbled here... :o
That's my other story, had a Mondeo in the UK as a hire car for work! :D

I must say, UK drivers RULE! Here I was, obeying speed limits (70mph) and everyone was doing 100mph, while still being totally courteous, keeping left, all that stuff. As you can imagine, I was soon doing 100mph on all the freeways, and the Mondeos hoon!
Old 06-21-2001, 05:57   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom S
and the Mondeos hoon!
That's what I wanna hear!!.. YEE HAAA!!!! Roll on September...
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 05:57   #5 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Sounds like an enjoyable adventure you had there Venom S

The metalfest you attended, what bands were there??
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2001, 18:22   #6 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Quote:
Originally posted by JEM
The metalfest you attended, what bands were there??
They had 4 stages over two days/nights, so it was close to a hundred bands. A lot of them were young, very underground bands who had to 'pay to play' - helps the promoters pay for the major acts. Some of the bigger bands were Mercyful Fate, Destruction (reformed), Opeth, Katatonia, Immolation, etc.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub