Ford Taxi's - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2002, 07:10   #1 (permalink)
OLD SKOOL

Ford Taxi's

In Victoria all the taxi's, well like 95% of the Taxi's are Ford. Why is it all Ford but no other cars like Commodore, Magna or Camry. Is it becuase they dont last as long as Ford?
PERVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2002, 13:48   #2 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Ford Help out the Taxi companies by making Taxi Pack's stripped down versions of the car. Ford also have the biggest success in making LPG cars that don't blow up and still last as long as a petrol car. (Also the only ones untill recently that would still honour new car warrenty if LPG was fitted.
+ There big, cheap to insure, parts are everywhere and there renown for there motor reliablity since the old XD days.
Old 12-25-2002, 22:31   #3 (permalink)

Re: Ford Taxi's

Quote:
Originally posted by PERVERT
In Victoria all the taxi's, well like 95% of the Taxi's are Ford. Why is it all Ford but no other cars like Commodore, Magna or Camry. Is it becuase they dont last as long as Ford?
I asked a cabbie this once, and he said Commodores dotn have the reliability of a Ford. After a matter of two years, the engine is dead (or almost there). After a few weeks, there are door squeaks and stuff. Also, he said that there is less room in the Commodore for passengers.

And another point he added, was that the Mechanics that he gets his taxi serviced at (probably the company itself, which was Swan Taxi's) wont go near a Commodore cab, saying its "a waste of tiem fixing it".

Not my opinion, told straight from a cabbie..
Barra_4_Eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 23:24   #4 (permalink)
EA Falcon owner

my dad runs the workshop at yellow cabs here in brissie and he say's they have some falcons that have over a million km on them
and they are still in fairly good nick. annother thing is that the parts for a falcon are cheaper than other make's, approx 95% of all of the company cars at yellow cabs are falcons. the commodores are not as reliable some have their engines rebuilt more than once before 200 000 k's.

DAG-Nabit.com
FordLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:58   #5 (permalink)
goooone

From what I have heard it is mainly reliabilty but I think it started when Holden axed the Kingswood for the much smaller Commodore
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 16:42   #6 (permalink)
BA:Now were in business!

I bought my EL after advice from MANY cabbie's regarding the Falcon, cabbies LOVE em!! Eventhough I am a "Fordfreak", I still research before buying a car otherwise I would be mindlessly following the crowds/media juggernaut and buying a dunnydore :o)
Old 12-27-2002, 00:16   #7 (permalink)

Yeah im involved with a Taxis company in Brisbane and we run all Falcons and Fairlanes now. Everything is AU2 or newer, we just sold our last Commy which was a VT. You cant beat the Falcons on their engines or their toughness.
BIGBADAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:27   #8 (permalink)
Yeah .... I am here

You cant go past quality, i talk to a few cabbies, one had a ED with almost 800 000 on the clock, only ever did services, nothing EVER went wrong , his cab mates had 2 commodores between them, and they didnt see their 250'000 km birthday
XR8fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 07:15   #9 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

I was speaking to a mate the other day who does cab servicing, heres what he had to say;

In the state of WA, taxis aren't allowed to be more than 8 years old. Usually the cab company will pick up second hand Falcons, convert them to LPG, and put them straight into service, after installing all the cabbie gear. Servicing intervals is at 15,000km, and that usually is met every 3 - 4 weeks. These cabs are run on two shifts a day (12 hours each), with the second shift sometimes getting skipped on a Sunday, due to lack of business. Basically 24 / 7 operation. The Falcons are put out to pasture at the end of their lives, usually at the 8-900,000km mark, usually on their second motor. Some Falcons dont need a second motor apparently, if its only had conservative drivers, etc. Gearboxes last Very Well, at least, they dont pack up as often as you'd think. G/B services are at 60,000km intervals, they dont need replacing when the engine does.

I'd like to see the Commodore 3.8 and T700R4 gearbox match the 250 Crossflow / 3.9/4.0 OHC / Barra 182 and a BTR 4 speed combo.. Perhaps the HFV6 will also focus on Reliability!
discokin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 01:04   #10 (permalink)
Australian XR8 Member

I am very involved in the Taxi industry and I can tell you the "usually have a motor replaced in it's life" is not true.
9/10 falcons live out there life with the same motor, gearbox's go around 400k, never last the million.
only time the motor needs replacing when some cabbie drives it and ignores low oil lights and temp lights,
beleive me it happens.
but 800-million kilometers out of one motor is good going.
secret is it is running warm always.
As Brockie says. 80-90% of engine wear is on start.. cold motor..
Benny ELXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub