Ford + TAXIS = Marketing Failure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2002, 00:36   #1 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

frown Ford + TAXIS = Marketing Failure

Whats the worst real life advertisement for Ford?

The caning they are getting in the V8 Supercars? No! It's your humble taxi.

Not sure what Taxis are like in other states, but here in Sydney, they are so poorly maintained, that I seriously can't wait to get out of them. They smell, squeak, rattle, and make hideous noises from all the wrong areas. Their engines are rough, there is always the whine from the diff and transmission.

Holden were saying the other week, how they are glad that Commodores are not used as taxis. Although this was obviously a hit at Ford, it is true. Falcons *DO* make better taxis, but they definately put ALOT of prospective buyers off Falcons, thats for sure.

If I didnt know much about cars, and I was in the market for a new one, after one ride in a Sydney cab, I'd scrub the Falcon off the short list without hesitation.

I'm sure Taxis make a lot of $$$ for Ford, but they are doing Ford some serious image damage.
FFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2002, 02:29   #2 (permalink)

I don't see it that way myself - when I get in a car, regardless of what make it is, and it is a piece of shit, I don't blame the car but the owner. I understand what you are saying though as probably many other (not so weel-informed) ppl would simply judge the car.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 02:30   #3 (permalink)

Do you work for Holden?

What makes you all of a sudden a authority on the taxi industry?
Go back to the little hole where you belong or I'll hunt you down and give you a bloody nose. My EL taxi would probably smoke your S*&^ty VL Commidorre at the lights, handle better drive better and go long after your Commidorre falls apart. I should ignore you but I had a bad day at work today so now when I see a guy who goes in my cab with a Holden t-shirt or cap I'll beat the shit out of him/her and cable tie their arms and legs and dump your fat ass in a potato bag in the local national park. Sorry FordForumers he messed with the cabbies and he should get all he/she/it deserves.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 02:45   #4 (permalink)
goooone

I've always thought it showed that Falcons are the most durable reliable cars available anyone who has an issue with them being used as a taxi is a pretentious prat IMO
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 02:47   #5 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by T3man
I don't see it that way myself - when I get in a car, regardless of what make it is, and it is a piece of shit, I don't blame the car but the owner. I understand what you are saying though as probably many other (not so weel-informed) ppl would simply judge the car.
Like I said, although the Falc makes the best cab, I still think their overall condition reflects poorly on Ford. I'm sure a Camry/Magna/Commo would fall apart too, but the fact remains that 99% of all cabs are Falcons.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:53   #6 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by The Fonz
Do you work for Holden?

What makes you all of a sudden a authority on the taxi industry?
Unfortunately, I have to ride in them all too often. Most of the cabbies I know are good decent blokes, but the state of the vehicles makes me cringe.

Was in a cab last week, travelling down Monavale Rd. The poor cabbie had to keep it under 60, otherwise the frontend would shudder as he applied the brakes. Just made you want to stop the cab and walk.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:56   #7 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Jucy
I've always thought it showed that Falcons are the most durable reliable cars available anyone who has an issue with them being used as a taxi is a pretentious prat IMO
Durable? They certainly are considering the punishment they get. All I'm saying, is that to Joe Blow out there, they don't exactly leave you wanting to buy one. I think they have the opposite effect.
Old 10-05-2002, 03:12   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

their overall condition refects badly on the taxi company.
Ford have no control over any vehcile once they sell it
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 03:29   #9 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by xa-coupe
their overall condition refects badly on the taxi company.
Ford have no control over any vehcile once they sell it
No, but still does Ford no favours for brand image.
Old 10-05-2002, 04:37   #10 (permalink)

This is a very good point and actually an extremely good post. It is something that has definitely been debated before, the trade off being a huge amount of sales against the poor brand image associating with taxis. Every one knows that the falcon is compared directly with a taxi. Although the strange thing in country's such as Germany they run around in Mercedes with no impact on the brands image. I have a feeling although I could be wrong that this is the underlying reason that Holden are not at all worried about not being huge in the taxi market. It may be because of other reasons lpg, reliability but I think that Holden are not going out of the way to get back into the market I actually think they would prefer to be out of it. Hell it hasnít effected there sales figures.

This is something that I will be interested to see the direction we go in the future. If the falcon brand image is going to come back into fold then I personally think it is one market we would prefer to see less of.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub