Ford Wins Gold P76 Award - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2001, 19:45   #1 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

roll Ford Wins Gold P76 Award

What a load of crock from crock journos!

Gold P76 award
During 2001 one company racked up such an extensive litany of stuff-ups, its blooper reel could fill a whole month's prime-time programming. That company is none other than OK, you're way ahead of us. Yes, who else could it be but Ford?

Just a few of the lowlights have included:
. The axing of the axe-man, Jac Nasser.
. The exploding Explorer tyre debacle in the States, which could yet cost Ford and Firestone billions.
. The transformation of Australia's long-standing Commodore-versus-Falcon sales battle into Commodore-versus-Hello Is Anybody There? Falcon sales this year tumbled compared with last year, and last year was a disaster. Adding to Ford's woes, Commodore's sales this year have increased and the overall Holden-to-Ford ratio is accelerating towards two to one.
. The insertion of the fat, ugly and irrelevant Mustang into an Australian line-up screaming for such trim and taut Euro models as Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta.
. A third attempt to resuscitate the moribund Falcon, with Ford doing what it said it wouldn't giving us an AU Series III. And more rampant discounting, and factory shut-downs, and failure at Bathurst how many wished they'd never heard the initials AU?
. The misery of the latest attempt to take on Holden Special Vehicles. Ford's T-Series models proved only slightly more popular than scurvy, selling just 100 examples to HSV's 2500 in the same period.
. Even the Ford Escape, the Blue Oval-badged version of the (bland and cheaply built) Mazda Tribute 4WD, was massively outsold by the Japanese-badged alternative, even though they were essentially the same and the Ford was cheaper.
. And what about the disastrous joint venture dealership structure? Ford decided to form "a partnership to sell cars" with its Sydney and Perth dealers. It soon discovered it was in a partnership to not sell cars; dealers happily took the money and ran while yelling something like "now you people know what it's like to be a dealer, you grand prix".

And, oh, if these were the only problems at Ford! But no. We sincerely hope things improve during 2002. In the meantime, and with a tinge of sadness, we have to pick up the beautiful gold P76 trophy seen here and walk around Ford to see there's anyone still there to accept it.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2001, 19:49   #2 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

From which publication is this from? I'll be sure never to buy it.

This is the biggest crock of horse shit I have read in the last 2 days!
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 19:57   #3 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

Ford should tell these people to get stuffed and never deal with them again.
Oh what Ford Oz going through a tuff time, tell us something we don't know.
I have confidence they will pull through.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

www.drive.com.au which is Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 20:05   #5 (permalink)

I love the way they called it the P76, I wonder if these are the same journalists who praised the P76 when it was released, although I think it was Wheels that gave it COTY.
Old 12-06-2001, 20:10   #6 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

Re: Ford Wins Gold P76 Award

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
Just a few of the lowlights have included:
. The axing of the axe-man, Jac Nasser.
The yanks did that, not related to Ford Aus.

Quote:

. The exploding Explorer tyre debacle in the States, which could yet cost Ford and Firestone billions.
The yanks did that too, our new Explorer's run Bridgestones. Oh, and the new Explorer is selling more units in the US than ever before.

Quote:

. The transformation of Australia's long-standing Commodore-versus-Falcon sales battle into Commodore-versus-Hello Is Anybody There? Falcon sales this year tumbled compared with last year, and last year was a disaster. Adding to Ford's woes, Commodore's sales this year have increased and the overall Holden-to-Ford ratio is accelerating towards two to one.
How is this different from the Falcon-versus-Hello, do Commodore's actually exist? battle when XF Falcon *WERE* outselling Commodores 2:1 - never mind nearly. Commodore revived, what's stopping Falcon?

Quote:

. The insertion of the fat, ugly and irrelevant Mustang into an Australian line-up screaming for such trim and taut Euro models as Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta.
We want the Fiesta and Focus as well, but with the Mustang on sale, we had a modern coupe before Holden did!

Quote:

. A third attempt to resuscitate the moribund Falcon, with Ford doing what it said it wouldn't giving us an AU Series III. And more rampant discounting, and factory shut-downs, and failure at Bathurst how many wished they'd never heard the initials AU?
Are you upset because Geoff Polites didn't give your publication a scoop? Boo-hoo, ya whingy poof.

Quote:

. The misery of the latest attempt to take on Holden Special Vehicles. Ford's T-Series models proved only slightly more popular than scurvy, selling just 100 examples to HSV's 2500 in the same period.
So you've completely ignored T3 then? Tickford know the problem, they fixed it.

Quote:

. Even the Ford Escape, the Blue Oval-badged version of the (bland and cheaply built) Mazda Tribute 4WD, was massively outsold by the Japanese-badged alternative, even though they were essentially the same and the Ford was cheaper.
Zoom zoom zoom. Proof advertising sells. Last time I checked, Mazda didn't have an equivalent Explorer or F-Series range. Massively outsold? Please keep your MASSIVE exaggerations in check.

Quote:

. And what about the disastrous joint venture dealership structure? Ford decided to form "a partnership to sell cars" with its Sydney and Perth dealers. It soon discovered it was in a partnership to not sell cars; dealers happily took the money and ran while yelling something like "now you people know what it's like to be a dealer, you grand prix".
The concept was great, it was implemented less successfully.

Quote:

And, oh, if these were the only problems at Ford! But no. We sincerely hope things improve during 2002. In the meantime, and with a tinge of sadness, we have to pick up the beautiful gold P76 trophy seen here and walk around Ford to see there's anyone still there to accept it.
A journalist who obviously displays the foamy-mouthed attributes of various ff.com and ls1.com members, with the obvious Holden bent.

Once again, this post was brought to you by the letters B, HP and 4.
Old 12-06-2001, 20:13   #7 (permalink)
Tickford Ruled; FPV Rocks

Excellent response Venom XR!
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 20:17   #8 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

As much as I hate to say it, there are some valid points there. Some of the proverbial socks need to be pulled up.

From my point of view,
- the T3 better come up with the goods vs it's HSV equivilent in performance or there are going to be some unhappy Ford campers (me included),
- the AV better be all that WE the potential future customers want it to be,
- Ford better start leading the way instead of always (and I mean ALWAYS) following in others footsteps (AU looks excluded, I think that was a gutsy move that unfortunately didn't work out),
- The "raptor" better be released before the GM version (and again I've heard that GM are a llloooonnnggg ways advanced in thier development).
- Ford better change advertising agents and get a mob that's more aggressive, current and in your face than some of the locally produced "Built Ford Tough" crap that's been coming out over the last year. It reflects VERY badly on all Ford products.

I also have another question. How do the Ford developers decide what we, the consumer, actually want in a car. I'm talking about the whole package, looks, comfort, performance, the whole shabang. It seems to me, as an outsider, that manufacturers tend to have tell us what we want, instead of finding out what we want in a particualr type of car.

EDIT: I should add that I'm more specifically talking of the Falcon/Commodore range than anything else.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 20:20   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by HP Dude
Excellent response Venom XR!
Nicely done.

They really like to sink the boots in when someone's down don't they. I'm sure Geoff Polites will have the last laugh.
Old 12-06-2001, 20:35   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grunter
- The "raptor" better be released before the GM version (and again I've heard that GM are a llloooonnnggg ways advanced in thier development).
That might be true but Fords 4WD vehicle is going to be basically a totally different car (although Falcon based), Holdens is pretty much going to be the same in terms of looks, they aren't going as far as Ford are to differentiate.
Ford spending in the vicinity of something like 500-600 million whilst Holdens is around 150 million.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub