Fords (lack of) Engines - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2001, 04:46   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Fords (lack of) Engines

Flicking through fords engine info web pages.. Not much choice?

3.9 L V8 - Tiny capacity
4.0 L V8 - exclusive
4.6 L V8 - Small in capacity
5.4 L V8 - Long stroke

For the six cylinders Ford doesn't have any that popout, the 3.8 isn't well liked (even for a six), 4.0 V6 sounds like it would be a slightly bigger version of the 3.8. Hardy the stuff dreams are made of for replacing the taxi proven inline 4.0.

What happens if there is big overseas demand for the expected 5.4? What happens if its found not to be suitable? Or the currency goes through the floor again.

But how about this for a idea, make a 16 or 24 valve VCT V8 engine to eventually replace the "hot six". If we are getting just the 5.4's then, it shouldn't interfear too much with the 5.4's.

Does ford need new V8's? Do they need new 6's?
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2001, 05:30   #2 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Thats a good point there IPhido. I have been speaking with a guy who works at the Geelong engine plant. He basically says that our IL6 could be better engine than its replacement if they were given the same budget to spend on it. He support strongly FOR keeping the IL6, he believes there are more advantages (design) in keeping it, rather than changing to a V6, its proven and can be developed to be a great engine.

The V8 could be another matter.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 05:32   #3 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Re: Fords (lack of) Engines

Quote:
Originally posted by IPhido
Does ford need new V8's? Do they need new 6's?
You will see all new engines in the next few years. Both 6 and 8.. In both forms for the 6..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 05:43   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Personally, i say the 8's need to be all new, and we all know it's on it's way firstly stroker windsor then 5.4 DOHC, i reckon this engine should be increased in capacity to be on par with 5.7 5.8 or the 351 in old measure.

With the six's i say if it ain't broke, don't fix it, there as tough as nails, and given the right cyclinder head DOHC and turbo this engine has got serious power.

I mean even in stock form i can tell you it's got decent power from a basic 2v head.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 08:02   #5 (permalink)

eek

The 3.8L we are getting in 2005 or whenever is in no way related to the old OHV 3.8L V6 which is basically a 5.0L with 2 cyls missing (if im not mistaken the Commo/Buick V6 is the same)

Theres the possibility of the 4.6L being increased to 5.0L in the next Mustang.

As far as I know the AV XR8 is getting the DOHC 4.6L and the T-Series is getting the 5.4L
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 15:47   #6 (permalink)
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL

The current I6 needs something done to it, it is practically the same engine as the EA. thats nearly 10 years old.

Some parts even date back to the 60's...

But i agree it is a GOOD engine, and would prefer to see it developed rather than dropped i favour of the V6.
jaytyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 16:37   #7 (permalink)

The Au was my first Ford V8. My other Fords were six's. I agree with all the comments about the V6 situation and it does look as the only people wanting the V6 are the been counters. As a purist, things are going to get worse. Manufactures are going to rationalise models and as companies like Ford continue to buy others we will see a significate reduction in the numbers of engine variants available.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 08:23   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

The 3.8L we are getting in 2005 or whenever is in no way related to the old OHV 3.8L

3.8L you reffer to as a V6 from the states? Coz I can tell you now we aint getting no gay V6. Some journo made it up and I know that becasue my mate works at the Ford product Engineering plant in Geelong and he told me. To save anymore controversy, its a Ford employees Obligation not to leak any information to anyone concerning the product whichwill be obtained in the future but I don't know if the same rule applies to things we don't get...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 08:25   #9 (permalink)
Bring Back the 24hr!!!

Re: The 3.8L we are getting in 2005 or whenever is in no way related to the old OHV 3.8L

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
3.8L you reffer to as a V6 from the states? Coz I can tell you now we aint getting no gay V6. Some journo made it up and I know that becasue my mate works at the Ford product Engineering plant in Geelong and he told me. To save anymore controversy, its a Ford employees Obligation not to leak any information to anyone concerning the product whichwill be obtained in the future but I don't know if the same rule applies to things we don't get...
Heh, but telling people what we won't get can indirectly lead to people knowing what we <i>will</i> get :rolleyes:
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 15:17   #10 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Re: The 3.8L we are getting in 2005 or whenever is in no way related to the old OHV 3.8L

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra
I know that becasue my mate works at the Ford product Engineering plant in Geelong and he told me.
Like I've said before folks, lets keep this sort of thing to email please. Too many prying eyes for these pages... :thumbup:
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub