FPV versus HSV.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2002, 20:14   #1 (permalink)
Wanting 5 Gears, Damnit!

FPV versus HSV....

With the highly anticipated release of the GT and new performance model GT-P, one has to wonder what HSV models will compete. (?)
The GT is said to have 320kw (or lets just say 300+ for the sake of the argument), which sounds about right considering Ford is pulling out 260kw ala XR8. Where does this leave HSV?
HSV said they were not going over the 300kw benchmark, so what exactly are they going to achieve? We most likely will be comparing the 'base model' FPV vehicle (the GT) and the king of the lions (not jungle) - the sv300/GTS.

Answer: Not much, until the bigger displacement engines arrive from Callaway.

What are your views? Will FPV really put HSV in its place? Where does this leave the under-achieveing HSV models? Which performance models are supposed to be against each other and with what outputs?

I need some FPV discussion to keep me sane.

--> FPV set to reveil exterior and specs of the new GT on the 17th (11 more days) at the Sydney Motor Show. Can you wait?

Old 10-05-2002, 20:26   #2 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

I think HSV are up shit creek actually. They are about to be beaten at their own game, and there only answer is to go out and get the bigger displacement motor. I mean, thats fair enough, but if ford stroke the 5.4 to say 5.8 then its just going to be own equal terms again. All this, and HSV are already complaining because holden gave them a shit design to work with.
Old 10-05-2002, 20:48   #3 (permalink)
one day.......maybe

the GT should not be compared with the sv300/GTS. i'm assuming the GT will be well under $70k and should not be compared with these more expensive cars. Yes, hopefully the GT will have 320kW and be able to blow these HSV's away but it should be compared against an equivalent priced HSV, no matter what output the GT has. it's only fair. remember when the T series only had 220kW and were being compared to the 250kW HSV, well not the tables have turned! Ha Ha Ha to you HSV.
This also means that the XR8 should not, i repeat not, be compared with HSV. even if they have equal power these cars are not meant to be compeditors. Take that SS!
i was just reading the FPV/GT section in wheels again and judging by GP's comments i wouldn't be surprised if the GT has "only" 280-300kW. yes i'm hoping for 320kW+ but the GT is a compeditor to the (i think) 260kW HSV cars so even 280kW should be enough.
now if HSV goes for the 6.2litre engine later on i think there will be a back lash from the 'GREEN' community. Ford is whipping the 5.7L with a 5.4L. Like XR6turbo said, bore this baby out to 5.8L or even supercharge it (GTHO?) and it will whip the 6.2L and won't look as bad environmentally or safety wise. i don't want a repeat of the early 70's. these cars have to stay so both ford and HSV should play it safe for now. Don't jump the gun or do too much. Hell, where will that leave them in 5 years time. the way things are going you'll be looking at 450-500kW which is just stupid for a road car not matter how good it sounds, and it does sound good. bit i don't want these cars to be killed off, especially before i can afford to buy one!
FordXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 21:18   #4 (permalink)
The Third Power

I think there is plenty of options for HSV they just have to choose a path.

Do you think they would stroke the 5.4 anymore given it is an already undersquare engine in its current configuration or would they look at a low boost fi route
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 21:23   #5 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

Good question there strife, i don't know what they would do. But with there expertise and prodrives expertise i would think they would have many options on what they could do. HSV have many options yes, but its whether or not they have as many as ford. It will be interesting, and i agree with ford XR8, at this rate, the cars are going to be more powerful than a V8supercar. I think its time that the power isn't concentrated on so much, but the over all package, which something Ford Performance vehicles has made very clear on what they are going to do. Interesting times ahead indeed.
Old 10-05-2002, 21:25   #6 (permalink)

u guys should thank HSV personally
without them ford would still be making tx3's and sposoiring yuppie tennis tournaments

if there is somehealthy competition thats great
dont forget HSV has a 15 year head start, and access to the GM empire
tat sort of marketing and brand recognition is hard to buy
Fankster_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 21:28   #7 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

HSV might have a 15 year head start, but it seems they haven't done much in that 15 years. HSV is going to learn fast u need more than straight line speed to get u over the line. But, having said that, the next HSV could have picked up in the handling stakes, and if it has, i will be the first to congradulate them.
Old 10-05-2002, 22:22   #8 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

I would like to see the BA's, both Ford and FPV vehicles, compared to something else as well as Holden and HSV. I remember reading a comparison with the AU Ghia and several higher priced European models. Can't remember the comments, but it was a good idea.

Lets see the BA take it to the higher priced Euros too!

:s5

(Mmm... GT vs M5...)
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 22:25   #9 (permalink)

they havent done much?

only an aspirational brand
thats done wonders for Holdens image

and recreated the ausie muscle car culture

Dunno why u think HSV's dont handle well
if they can beat WRX's in tests
and win performance car of the year , thay cant be that bad
Fankster_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 23:11   #10 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

They don't out handle a WRX for a start. They don't outhandle the TS50, not even the coupes out handle the TS50. The cars are good, don't get me wrong, but its time for them to move away from using holden components for their suspensions. Even as i remember the wheels magazine had a go at them recently, because they are unexciting, and don't do much better than a base sports commodore. They may have boosted holdens image, but they aren't anywhere near as good as CSV, who i might add do a fantastic job. My point is, they aren't all that they are cracked up to be, and even a HSV engineer will tell u that!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub