Free Trade Agreement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2003, 15:58   #1 (permalink)
You can do eeeit!

Free Trade Agreement

No doubt the Free Trade Agreement between Australia and the US has received much media attention over the last week. Now, with regards to Australia's car industry, do you guys see this as a good thing for possible Falcon exports like was with the Monaro GTO, or are we likely to see American imports coming this way?

3FB - The Official Site for cruising, eating and talking shite click here.

Member of the FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

3FB Mesh Bandit #2: 2002 AUIII XR6 HP _Oo===oO_
Dark_Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2003, 16:26   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Free Trade Agreement

Well I would love to see the FPV range here.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 16:36   #3 (permalink)
Copyright �2003

I would love to see the F-150 Lightning here at a reasonable price.

I was keen on purchasing a coverted Lightning over here, did the research, looked at a lot of info on US sites, found info on the conversions and how well and original looking they are, worked out duties, shipping, etc. Searched the net and found out that to purchase a new "Aussie" Lightning from a conversion company, it would cost upwards of $100,000.

Works out about $48,000AUD to purchase one States-side.

the house of grunt
Click on the above link to go to a site about my cars, old and new.

Last edited by Grunter; 11-19-2003 at 18:13.
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 17:26   #4 (permalink)
ex-Ford owner

I don't think any free trade agreement will help Australian manufacturers in sending cars to the US. There is no way the US Govt will be able to bypass the restrictions placed on Aussie imports by the Unions.
XYFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 17:42   #5 (permalink)

Australia is the first ever English speaking, democratic country in the world that the USA is doing a free trade agreement with.

However, since EVERY state in the US is financially (openly) broke and the Federal Gov' isn't far behind, then I hardly see the positive side of any FTA... it's just J Howard and Co doing the political machinations for a bit of glory!

I just don't think people quite understand as to how badly the US is bleeding economically and what that means to future trade. Watch the falling US dollar for an obvious reason/indicator since US international debt is at a level where it can no longer ever be realistically paid back! Amongst many other problems they(US gov') have kept quiet about.

There will be no benefits for Oz because the Yanks are going the same way as Argentina thanks in part to the continual war chest the US has decided to fund all by itself for global terrorism. I give the US 12-18 months of normality or even less then the creditors will start calling in their lines of credit. So don't bother getting to excited over the FTA, it's a pipe dream for the masses and just 'glory grease' for the pollies in Canberra.

Anyway why do car exports help us when Holden for instance sell the Monaro in the US cheaper than what we pay here in Oz? Where's the benefits? It's more like we subsidise the export pricing for exporters to gain a foothold in a given market.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 17:47   #6 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonk
Australia is the first ever English speaking, democratic country in the world that the USA is doing a free trade agreement with.
What about Canada?
Quote:
However, since EVERY state in the US is financially (openly) broke and the Federal Gov' isn't far behind, then I hardly see the positive side of any FTA... it's just J Howard and Co doing the political machinations for a bit of glory!
Government Bonds, or budget defecits of states don't have too much to do directly with household spending. 80% of the US Economy is supported by household spending, not defence or war chests or preachings like that. That said and done, the US dollar is falling due to budget defecits, and their agressive interest rate may inversely affect the value of their dollar in buying exports to the US, but people have to spend don't they ?

Quote:
Anyway why do car exports help us when Holden for instance sell the Monaro in the US cheaper than what we pay here in Oz? Where's the benefits? It's more like we subsidise the export pricing for exporters to gain a foothold in a given market.
Well, so long as Holden can sell/transfer the car to Pontiac at a price greater than it costs to produce the car, Holden will be ahead. Remember the Ford Capri being 12,000 cheaper in the US than it was in Australia ? Its all got to do with supply and demand curves, as well as the average household income. Sometimes, it does better to sell more cars at a lower price than what the profit would be selling less cars for a higher profit. Trust me, it all makes sense.

Last edited by dave_au; 11-19-2003 at 18:08.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 00:55   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
or are we likely to see American imports coming this way?
OK, now stop and think about which american cars you would like to see here......... now think about the quality and if they would be acceptable to the aussie public? my guess is that there would be very few, and the ones that could be brought in wouldn't sell to well due to cost of importation, value etc. You have to remember in Australia we have one of the most diverse auto markets in the world and many US products wouldn't cut it here. I just hope their large trucks don't start being imported, they are just to ****ing big, especially around cities.

Quote:
I don't think any free trade agreement will help Australian manufacturers in sending cars to the US. There is no way the US Govt will be able to bypass the restrictions placed on Aussie imports by the Unions.
Holden require the tarrifs for imported trucks to be removed by a FTA so they can sell the Ute in the US. It is 25% currently. As soon as it is gone expect the Ute to be in the US ASAP.

Mods:
Fairmont dash, Pioneer DEH-P5550MP, Trip Computer, XH Snorkel, EL Thermo Fans
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:19   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:

I just don't think people quite understand as to how badly the US is bleeding economically and what that means to future trade. Watch the falling US dollar for an obvious reason/indicator since US international debt is at a level where it can no longer ever be realistically paid back! Amongst many other problems they(US gov') have kept quiet about.

There will be no benefits for Oz because the Yanks are going the same way as Argentina thanks in part to the continual war chest the US has decided to fund all by itself for global terrorism. I give the US 12-18 months of normality or even less then the creditors will start calling in their lines of credit. So don't bother getting to excited over the FTA, it's a pipe dream for the masses and just 'glory grease' for the pollies in Canberra.

And you also forgot to mention that when the terrorists flew the planes into the buildings the uncertainty it created with the biggest econimy mover {household spending} + hundreds of billions damages and billions spent on measures within the US to prevent another such indespicable act! War or no war that threw even the best economy into shock.

On the Monaro topic if it sells cheaper in the US then good for them. GM is a US company so if they want to they can tell Holden to do anything they want to.
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 02:27   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

Lower import tarrifs will encourage more cars from everywhere to be imported to Australia. From Jan 05 not only imports but Australian built cars like Falcon will drop in price due to the lowering of tarrifs. Our locals will drop prices to compete. Expect a 30,000 car to fall by about $1500 and a $60,000 car to drop by just over $3000. As with GST if there is a buyers strike nearly all manufacturers will start to implement the lower pricing as soon a the strike starts. Possibly as early as third quater next year. Lets hope Ford does'nt hold back on BA2 due to this!
DR XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub