FTR Canberra update - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2001, 03:08   #1 (permalink)

FTR Canberra update

Ford Tickford Racing Latest News

RICHARDS AFTER BACK TO BACK CANBERRA TRIUMPHS
01 Jun, 2001

Ford Tickford Racing’s (FTR) Steve Richards heads to the GMC 400 in Canberra between June 7-10, with an eye on making a small piece of history and in the process taking his first win since joining the team at the start of the season.
Ford Tickford Racing’s (FTR) Steve Richards heads to the GMC 400 in Canberra between June 7-10, with an eye on making a small piece of history and in the process taking his first win since joining the team at the start of the season.

Richards took the inaugural GMC 400 on the Canberra streets last year, and with the ever-improving form of the FTR team Richards is confident of a repeat success.

"Both myself and team is very confident going into Canberra," said Richards.

"We have showed that our car speed is very good and following a recent test at Phillip Island we have been able to make improvements on the racecar.

"I like all race circuits, but when you have had success at one place it definitely provides a lift the next time you visit.

"As part of my role as a GMC 400 Ambassador I have been to Canberra a number of times since last year, and I’ve gained some very strong support.

"It would be a very special feeling not only for me, but indeed the entire FTR team if we can win at Canberra.

Canberra offers one of the toughest challenges on the V8 Supercar circuit. Tricky and very narrow, the circuit leaves no room for mistakes.

The format features three races; all of which are different from the other.

Race one will be over 25-laps with a compulsory tyre stop; the starting grid will be reversed for race two; while the third race will be over fifty laps and will include two compulsory pitstops, one for tyres and another for fuel.

The starting positions for the final race will be determined from the combined results of the first two races.

The grid for the first race will be decided after a top-15 shootout following qualifying.

For team mate Glenn Seton, Canberra also offers a great opportunity to go for victory and in the process collect a large amount of valuable championship points.

Canberra carries a large points spread; 18 points for pole position, with the twin 25-lap races set to give the winner 90 points each, while the final 50-lap race set to see the winner net 180 points.

"It does bring a lot of championship points, but with 32 other guys just as determined to get them you have to be at your best," said Seton.

"I’m after victory, but you have to be consistent; Steve showed that last year.

"The team is very strong and both Steve and I are very determined.

"The only extra ingredient is some luck which you do need on street circuits - staying clear of other people’s accidents will be a major key to success.

Canberra has one of the busiest schedules of the year with practice and qualifying on the Friday, top-15 shootout and race one on the Saturday, with the final two races on the Sunday.

Details for Round Five of the 2001 Shell Championship Series in Canberra:

Top-15 Shootout : Saturday 9 June - 11:10am

Race One (25 laps - 97.5 km) : Saturday 9 June - 2:30pm

Race Two (25 laps - 97.5 km) : Sunday 10 June - 10:30am

Race Three (50 laps - 195 km) : Sunday 10 June - 2.30pm

Circuit: Canberra Street - ACT

Length: 3.90 km

Lap Record: 1m.44.931s (qualifying) - Larkham (2000) - 1m.45.3569s (race) - Lowndes (2000)

Estimated top Speed: 260 km/h - State Circle
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub