Fuel Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2002, 16:56   #1 (permalink)
GTHO4

Fuel Question

A late model car that is tuned to run on ULP , would its performance be better if you filled it up with PULP?
I was speaking to this guy who reckons it would, but I don't believe it would make any difference on it's performance and could make it worse unless the EEC is tweaked to use PULP.
Anyone else agree or disagree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2002, 17:03   #2 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I've tried to get a definitive answer on this area and there doesn't seem to be a unanimous opinion.

PULP is denser, i.e. more molecules of fuel than ULP in the same volume, so theoretically you get more bang and more power.

But I spoke to Shell technical people about Optimax and they say it doesn't really produce more power (so much for the advertising) but just makes the car more responsive on the throttle, but it doesn't really go any harder.

I am totally confused.
EA S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 17:06   #3 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

When my car was stock I always got a lot more km's out of PULP, than I did with ULP.
Old 02-28-2002, 17:18   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Ok for cars that have a knock sensor as in EF's onwards running the car on PULP or 98 RON fuel will give the car abit more power as timing will advance as a result of increased RON.

IF however you own a car with no-knock sensor say an XF it would run abit smoother but won't really benefit much.

Have noticed it with my EF, you feel the difference running on PULP compared to normal, whilst in our TBi EB it didn't really feel any different.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

I was reading an article from an old street machine mag where they were saying that higher octane actually gives less power cause it burns slower.
But this is contrary to everything I have ever heard.

[edit] my XF has a knock sensor...i think it was only for ULP efi engines.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 17:34   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by (\/)ADXF
my XF has a knock sensor...i think it was only for ULP efi engines.
from late 86 the efi engines had a knock sensor.
Futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 18:29   #7 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

yeah when they went to ULP.
The first XF's to use ULP were made in jun 86

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 21:38   #8 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by (\/)ADXF
I was reading an article from an old street machine mag where they were saying that higher octane actually gives less power cause it burns slower.
But this is contrary to everything I have ever heard.

[edit] my XF has a knock sensor...i think it was only for ULP efi engines.
In my case it was true. I had a Mustang, rebuild the donk (302W) and it pinged on Super under load due to high compression, ran it on PULP for a test, slightly less pinging, so tried Avgas - ran like shit, is was hard to start and clearly lost power - stopped pinging completely though !!

I ended up running it on roughly 50% Avgas 50% Super and it ran sweet.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 21:48   #9 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Quote:
Originally posted by EF_Falcon_GuY
Ok for cars that have a knock sensor as in EF's onwards running the car on PULP or 98 RON fuel will give the car abit more power as timing will advance as a result of increased RON.

IF however you own a car with no-knock sensor say an XF it would run abit smoother but won't really benefit much.

Have noticed it with my EF, you feel the difference running on PULP compared to normal, whilst in our TBi EB it didn't really feel any different.
I get slight pinging under load/hot days from the EF XR6 using ULP, I have now been running it on PULP (BP Ultimate) for about a month and have not noticed any performance or economy gain, it does run smoother, especially at idle and it pulls away smoother + pinging has gone.

Higher octane of course has a higher flash point (ie harder to set fire to), which allows you to advance the timing and it allows you to run higher compression, this is where the slight power gains can be made. So if you run a standard donk, it can potentially reduce power - see the post in this thread about my 'Stang.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 22:45   #10 (permalink)
goooone

some cars won't gain squat because of the computers & stuff but some will.
Yeah your car works best just before detonation but if it actually reaches detonation it is very bad
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub