Future falcons - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 00:33   #1 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

roll Future falcons

OK so we know BA2 is due around September-ish and that its minor cosmetic and mechanical stuff.

I also read that the next ALL NEW Falcon is due around 08. So will there be anything between the 2? Im thinking a mid life upgrade of EF-EL or XA-B-C level sometime in 06?

Wonder what it will entail? Head/tail lights, indicators, grille, bumpers. Maybe minor fiddle to softpoints in body. Changes to dashboard?

Could this be the last of the traditional big falcons as we know it?

I cant help but think that if territory is as sucessful as everyone is hopeful, it could have major ramifications to falcon (both good and bad). I think it will eat into falcons sales from families etc (tho more into ssales of taragos, Carnivals, Prado Pajero etc), so we may never see Falcon outselling Commy again, but hopefully falcon plus territory will be way in front of Commodore.

If territory becomes Fords "family car of Choice" for mum dad and 3 (or more) kids then why do we need a big falcon? Could the next all new falcon become a smaller lighter more sophisticated car and be taken more upmarket or more sporty?

Aim territory at big families and people who want tough rugged towing etc (turbo please) and Falcon for company car, luxury car or GT car?

Just shooting the breeze? what do you think?
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2004, 01:50   #2 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Re: Future falcons

I believe the all new Falcon is due sometime in 2007 and there will be another upgrade before that will have cosmetic as well as mechanical upgrades. I think keeping weight down will be a key priority for the 2007 model. Depending on how Falcon wagons sell after Territory is launched Ford may not even bother spending development dollars on a wagon version and concentrate their efforts on the sedan.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

I won't be massively suprised if the All new falcon~ 08 is externally smaller than the current one. Territory is obviously going to take some of the need for the falcon to be extra huge. I would say that '08 maybe the end of the I6 too..

I would also not be suprised if the wagon model disapears. The fact its still bumbling around on leaf springs, with a skyhigh price for non fleet buyers and has been reduced to XT/Futura no V8 status I don't think it will live much past BAII.

Post BA I would imagine front and rear would cop a bit of a update to modern styles. Usual, new wheels, suspension, tweaks, drivetrain improvements, new dash.

I would imagine weight loss would be a big part of future updates. Maybe we will finally see some aluminium and magnesium end up in Falcon.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:31   #4 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

The fate of the straight six is up in the air at the moment but it seems highly likely the straight six will stay on. The current thinking is that the best 6 in the world is a straight 6 ( BMW ) and it would be too costly to convert the engine line to suit a V6.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:33   #5 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

Dump the wagon, base a ute (and van?) on Territory,
Falcon as sedan and a Coupe? or sedan and 5 door hatch?

The engines will have to be shared with territory so might not change much, the current I6 and small modular v10 ....oooops what did i just say?
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 16:07   #6 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Why does everyone on this forum seem to desire that Ford implement a V10 in its vehicles? V10 engines are structurally weaker then V8s, they're especially crap for people who want to do any decent modifications to a vehicle. V10s are fine in cars like the Lamborghini Gallardo which will remain stock and garaged most of their lives. Keep the Falcon a V8 please.
Old 05-18-2004, 16:16   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Not too mention that a V10 engine would probably cost a packet simply becaus eno-one else has them.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 18:54   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Ford US has secretly developed a small stroke V10 using the 4.6 sand casting and joining 2 cylinders onto the V8. However its very prototypey at this stage and a bit of a frankenstien. Ford OZ could try and source it, it will apparently be used on the new Cobra.

Read about the newer V10 HERE!!.

the V10 would be narrower than the 5.4, and shorter than the I6.

Good to hear they are keeping the 6's. Im not impressed with any of fords V6's so far... None are suitable for Territory or Falcon.

Instead of tooling the I6 line for V6's they would be better off making more I6 variants. Such as a alloy block, a shorter stroke varient (3.0-3.5L).. From this they could make a V12, (~7.0L would be nice. Use it in Lincon sedans, LTD, big american SUV's).. It would cost the same or less as turning it into a V6 plant and would add some niche engines for Ford.

So lets say the V8 and I6 stay. That means the front of the falcon can't change that much, those engines still have to fit.

looking at other automotive developments I guess we can expect:
-Better pedestrian safety
-Better crash safety
-LED lighting for indicators, brake etc lasts longer, looks modern, higher visability, faster, don't need fancy reflectors as much which means less cost when going to new model.
-HID lighting (I'm guessing eventually it will happen as a option, Ford loves options they make money).
-New gearboxes (yippy)
-Weight loss through stronger materials, lighter materials etc (I would say more thinner high strength steel materials than say alloys)
-Improved readability of instruments
-Improved economy (from weight, reduced drag and engine/gearbox improvements)
-Forced inducted V8 (where else is the power going to come from)
-Styling improvements (more aggressive?)
-New Colours (obvious, some old colours may resurface)
-New Wheel designs (obvious)
-Improved braking (ventilated rears? Bigger fronts?)
-Lower NVH through design and insulation (better tyres, using tarlike products)
ie the usual stuff.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 19:12   #9 (permalink)
Was Venom XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmex
OK so we know BA2 is due around September-ish and that its minor cosmetic and mechanical stuff.
Do we?

Silhouette AUII XR6 HP 5M - Herrod premium exhaust, Herrod/XR8/K&N intake, Herrod SureShift + BPT short shaft, King Springs Pro-Sport suspension kit, custom interior highlights, Momo crap. 15.14 @ 92.37mph.

White XF GL ute 3ontheTree.
Death Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 01:34   #10 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

ford V6s arent a whole lot better than holden V6s so id be buggered to know why they would want to drop the more reliable I6 for the V6. maybe its time for a whole new shell as well on the 07-08 model?? will be very interesting to see what they are going to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub

Related Reading: Future falcons