Gen 4 V8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 02:12   #1 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Gen 4 V8

I was speaking to a gentleman today while i was getting some work done on my truck, i was at a tailshaft engineering workshop and he came in to pick some tailshafts up for some dyno machines, he happens to drive a s/c AU 1 ute that is very nice, any way we got talking on the GEN 4 that Holden is bringing out and he went to great lengths explaining that the new ecu's on these vehicles will be impossible to edit/tweak.
He said GMH has had enough of warranty claims in that some people edit their vehicles, then break something in the drive line etc... then return the vehicle back to standard tune and then try to claim warranty on it.
He went on to say that they have spent millions of $$$$$$ to make sure that this practise wont happen again, he said that the new Adventra is also greatly de-tuned to minimise the risk of damaging the 4wd system.

This particular gentleman probably knows more about dyno machines than any one in this country, as his company sells more dynos than anyone else in Australia. Very interesting chap indeed !!
BA Pursuit, Blueprint,Silver stripes, Prestige sound, Leather, Sports s/wheel
cams290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2004, 02:46   #2 (permalink)

Re: Gen 4 V8

No more Fooly shick mods for the next Commodore then!
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:13   #3 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

They'll just have to get Piggy backs like Unichip with a plug in loom, retune, more HP, brake something, unplug the unichip, make warrenty claim, get car back, plug unichip back in, more HP - off you go!

Makes no difference in the long run.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:21   #4 (permalink)
Movin!

lol

maybe rods signature (the toes that you step on today may be attached the the legs that hold up the a$$ that you may need to kiss tomorrow) will suit the guys that have been slagging off the unichip at every opportunity

They have LS1edit now which is a good choice and there is nothing wrong with that decision but if the Gen4 cant be edited for quite a while, it's back to piggyback they will go
Old 06-22-2004, 03:22   #5 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
They'll just have to get Piggy backs like Unichip with a plug in loom, retune, more HP, brake something, unplug the unichip, make warrenty claim, get car back, plug unichip back in, more HP - off you go!

Makes no difference in the long run.
The thing that will make the difference is that at this stage no one will be able to adjust shift points in the autos, remove abuse tags, allow for diff ratio changes, fuel changes from ulp to pulp etc... cat temp over rides etc... every thing that can be done with LS1 edit at this stage will not be able to be done to the GEN4, that will have a huge impact on the tunability in the after market scene for the edit guys, but may give some new work for the likes of APS etc...
Its a bit like some people trying to break into the Boss computers no one has yet but apparantley its not too far off.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:27   #6 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cams290
The thing that will make the difference is that at this stage no one will be able to adjust shift points in the autos, remove abuse tags, allow for diff ratio changes, fuel changes from ulp to pulp etc... cat temp over rides etc... every thing that can be done with LS1 edit at this stage will not be able to be done to the GEN4, that will have a huge impact on the tunability in the after market scene for the edit guys, but may give some new work for the likes of APS etc...
Its a bit like some people trying to break into the Boss computers no one has yet but apparantley its not too far off.
Yeah, LS1 edit is so comprehensive, its very impressive! Certainly much more powerful than any piggy back, unless they change that too!
Old 06-22-2004, 03:38   #7 (permalink)
In Pursuit of excellence

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Yeah, LS1 edit is so comprehensive, its very impressive! Certainly much more powerful than any piggy back, unless they change that too!

Thats what i have said from my first post on this subject.
GMH has spent millions of $$$$ so no one can break into this new ECU and edit it like the GEN3 ecu. It is sure to throw a spanner in the works for the current crop of tuners that specialize in LS1 EDIT. I wonder how lomg it will take someone to break the codes in this new one ?? But the guy i spoke to today was very adamant that GMH has most definately made it unbreakable.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:51   #8 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Hmmm very interesting. Waiting very patiently for the release of this genIV. Eventually though I would imagine it would be cracked?
Old 06-22-2004, 04:12   #9 (permalink)
XR82GO

No code is unbreakable. Just look at what hackers can do with computers hell they manage to hack into Military computers etc. I'm sure some one out there will be able to pop that one just a matter of time really.

At least the Holden guys trying to break the code in their ecu's. Still to this day no one has broken into the Au xr8s comp have they. And i sure havent heard of any Edit program for them. Dunno if it could even be done anyways

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:25   #10 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

We might see a few future GenIV owner's opting toward's the Boss if we can get our edit soon enough.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub