Gen III LS1 Engine Reliability - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2001, 17:41   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Question Gen III LS1 Engine Reliability

Yeah just wondering after reading a number of LS1 members complaints about there engines, i'm wondering is there anyone who owns an LS1 powered car thats done 150,000km+ with no dramas and running stronge like a traditional V8.

Seems all the guys are getting piston slap, smoke, oil drinking at like under 50k.

Some of you LS1 guys may be able to shed some light.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2001, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

My brother has a VX SS and to my knowledge I don't think he has had any problems (although he hasn't done 150,000).
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 18:14   #3 (permalink)

I occasionally see posts on LS1.Com where they do a 'milage check' Theres usually a few people on their with 150-200k Miles....

Maybe Hobbes could start another 'milage check' thread over there
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 18:45   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin
I occasionally see posts on LS1.Com where they do a 'milage check' Theres usually a few people on their with 150-200k Miles....

Maybe Hobbes could start another 'milage check' thread over there
hehehe yeah cars done 100km and still running strong.

Seriously, though i'd be a pretty bad engine especially for a V8 if it doesn't last. If Inline 6's can go up to 700k, then V8's should last longer.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
Old 12-18-2001, 18:55   #5 (permalink)

I dont think its fair comparing an engine like the LS1 which in alot of cases is modified and driven HARD to a Falcon Taxi cab...

Im sure an LS1 taxi would last just as long as a 4.0L Falcon engine, if not longer.
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 19:50   #6 (permalink)
BOF

I think it's unfair to compare anything to a Taxi, even an identical car, being a Taxi is a lifestyle for a car and because they are not warming up all the time like all of our cars each day is the simple reason they last. The gen 3 is an engine everyone flogs, you simply can't drive a Commy with a Gen3 and not give it a hard time, unlike most people who buy your 3.8lt and 4.0lt sixes. The Gen3 is a damn good engine no doubt about it but like most engines (Ford included) sometimes quality is not 100% and it Kicks the bucket or drinks oil like a 2 stroke. I know the Ford dealer in this town has replaced 5 AU engines this year due to excessive oil consumption (brand new). Those living in glass houses...........
BOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 20:50   #7 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Yeah i agree can't compare a taxi with a regular car, just that i'm curious to know if there are any GenIII owners who have driven long km's with no troubles.

Old 12-18-2001, 22:42   #8 (permalink)

My mates cousin has his VT SS for 3 weeks and had to take it back to the dealer because it just didn't want to start one morning. Can't remember what was wrong with it but about 6 weeks later he blew the engine. I think it had something to do with high oil pressure and he hasn't had any problems since.
Space Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 23:44   #9 (permalink)
goooone

I fleet at work is all Commodores (except for 1 XR8 Pursuit Ute Hee Hee) & I can tell you they the worst built cars ever in the last year we've had 5 have major faliures in the first week alone they are an absolute joke & for one not to have major problems some time in the 12 months we keep them is an exception rather then the norm.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 01:31   #10 (permalink)

An acquaintance of mine has put a deposit on a new SS. He asked the dealer about the apparent oil troubles with the Gen3 and was assured that they have now introduced bigger journals to stop the problem.
Guess what.....he still put a deposit down. Dickhead. Didn't want to wait for the 250 Pursuit. Said that the XR8 didn't match the SS's level of fit and finish.
Best of all he is a Ford man!!!
Dickhead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub