GenIII fuel consumption - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2003, 06:42   #1 (permalink)
SB3
E-Series Member

GenIII fuel consumption

Quote:
Autospeed:"But if there's one major downfall of the engine it's in its fuel consumption. Despite people telling us how - for a big V8 - the fuel economy of the Gen III is good, we just don't see it that way. On test the Ute achieved an average of 18 litres/100 km - which can only be described as dismal. Unlike many high performance cars, where you can get reasonable fuel economy if you give it an occasional squirt and then drive gently the rest of the time, the 5.7-litre requires incredibly gentle and consistent driving all of the time if it is to get acceptable fuel economy. As in, pull out of the petrol station, get on to the highway, select sixth gear, then not move the throttle more than a few millimetres. That way, yes the economy can be around 10 litres/100 km. But in normal performance car driving, it's simply atrocious. But unlike the Monaro we drove - which had a similar thirst - at least the Ute had excellent performance."
Just read the New Car Test on the Vy SS Ute on Autospeed. This above paragraph caught my attention about fuel consumption being 'average 18 litres/100km' as my next door neighbour who bought a black Vy SS Ute just recently, was telling me the other day that he was getting like 17 litres on average driving. That's like 4-5 litres more than Holdens claimed 13 litres/100km? I'm not flaming no1 here, I'd just like to know(as much as my cousin does who is looking at buying a VT II SS ) your thoughts on this, especially of those here on the forum who own 5.7lt Commodores.

Sam
SB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2003, 07:49   #2 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Well the Falcons economy isn't to good either but I don't think they lie about it like Holden do.
From memory the new Xr8 claimed around 16l/100km but the wheels test found it to be more like 20l/100km (with some obvious hard driving)
I don't really think fuel usage play that much a part of the total running cost of a car.
I was reading an artical in the Raa propaganda book saying that fuel cost was about 15% of the running cost of a car.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:06   #3 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

I have a VTII Auto - get around 15-16l/100km around town, 10l/100km highway.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 13:40   #4 (permalink)
The Third Power

When I brought my GTO it started around the 19s and drop to 15s after a few thousand kms
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 15:12   #5 (permalink)
CEO - The BSR Group

Quote:
Originally posted by strife
When I brought my GTO it started around the 19s and drop to 15s after a few thousand kms
What sort of figures did Grungy (R.I.P) get Cam?
Old 02-17-2003, 16:55   #6 (permalink)
The Third Power

they both started the same high consumption and than into that same range after a few thousand kms

I dont know how they test these figures. I think the fords would be the same (high initial consumption when you get the car because you change driving style work out the car a little more etc)

Even in my 6.2 I get 16l and 10 country if im not on the pedal all the gime
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 17:42   #7 (permalink)
DARK SIDE spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendan
I have a VTII Auto - get around 15-16l/100km around town, 10l/100km highway.

You been driving my car again???? That is what mine does as well!
Old 02-17-2003, 19:53   #8 (permalink)

Who #$%^^^ cares what economy it gets, my theories on this are: you only live once, enjoy it !,,, why save petrol for the Arabs???,,,,,,,,,when im at the lights surrounded by 4 cylinder vehicles, i say to them "thank you for saving petrol so i can burn it in my V8s"
Old 02-17-2003, 19:55   #9 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

Actually, Ford claim that the XR8 can get 12.5L/100km, and a recent test drive somewhere claimed that this was more like 16L/100km during their test (actually, 15.6L/100km now that I've found the link: http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/revie...ry.asp?ID=4680).

This 12.5L/100 that they plaster on the XR8 windscreen is bizarre, because the sticker plastered on an Auto V8 Fairmont windscreen is 14.0L/100km

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 21:37   #10 (permalink)

my economy is great, 10 kms to a litre on the hiway, and i get about 13 kms to a litre around town.

but my around town is not what you would call average city driving

jim
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub