Genuine Ford Spare Parts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2003, 19:05   #1 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

Question Genuine Ford Spare Parts

In my quest to buy some assorted spare parts for my XD ute, I am finding that they are pretty well no longer available from Ford, well my local dealer anyway.

I know you can get reproduction parts from Rare Spares amongst other retailers and wreckers etc, but I've found most to be very dodgy replicas of the real thing.
They fail to meet Australian standards in some cases as well....
What can we do to find the remaining parts left for sale?

Would it be a good idea of some of the Ford Dealers that (hopefully!) get on the forums be able to let people know of whats left around the place?
Should there, or would it be worth it to be able to let people advertise their original spares for sale in the market place forum?
Does this problem exist for Ford fans outside of Australia?
I'm sure there are many of us searching for items just like myself.

In my efforts to find a pair of new old stock XD headlights, I've learnt that you can't even buy a new genuine headlight for a VN Commodore!

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......

Last edited by XD 351 Ute; 11-11-2003 at 19:07.
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2003, 19:19   #2 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Re: Genuine Ford Spare Parts

Which raises another question for me at least, what is the average shelf life of spare parts, how long are they avaliable for as a general rule after the car is no longer avaliable for sale ??

Rare spares I thought bought most of the moulds from ford, holden, etc, when the manufacturer was no longer making parts, so I would have thought the parts would have been of higher quality.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 23:47   #3 (permalink)

I worked at a Ford dealer until 2000, so this information was current then....

Different parts stay current for different times.
Some geniune parts for XY Falcons are still available through Ford Dealers, such as certain front suspension parts. At the other end of the spectrum, parts like seat trim is made obsolete within a year or so.

XD's arn't too bad because of the XH etc, can still buy door skins, doors and certain panels and a lot of engine/cooling parts. XE hoods were even still available in 2000!
As for your Ford dealer not being able to track parts down, all the dealers are linked to the Ford computer system - any dealer can check stock of any part at any dealer in Australia, and the Ford warehouse, at any time. But of course dealers sell parts to each other at dealer price (just above cost) so if a dealer has an enquiry from another dealer on an old part they know someone will pay top dollar for, they might just say "sorry its not on the shelf - stock must be out"

Then you get stuff just appearing, like when the dealer I worked at were cleaning out their old storage shed to make way for a new workshop, (this was around 1999) they found a whole pallet load of genuine XA Falcon grille assemblys. I found about 10 XD grilles one day. With management like we had then parts like these quickly and mysteriously dissapear. Another thing I found once during stocktake was a genuine EB GT bonnet scoop - the big centre one. It wasn't even showing on the system - could have just taken it, no one would have known!
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 00:30   #4 (permalink)

as tranquilized said it depends on the part some spoilers on AU falcons(the lip type from factory on classics i think) are now obsolete! suspension,brake and most panel parts last for a while.
ford did drop priced in a effot to clean out a lot of XD-XE parts a year or two ago i stocked up then .
try asking your dealer to do a I50 seach of other dealers around australia.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 19:42   #5 (permalink)

u chould still get brand new xf tail lights in 2000
jvc head unit
infinity amps and speakers
factory sat nav and colour icc
momo wheel and sports shift
ss inductions cold air intake
k&n air filter
xr seats and door trims
xr dash face
18" xr8 alloy wheels

comeing soon

xr body kit and spoiler
(already have just need to get repainted and fitted)

xr head lights

sliver gt stripes
jeffrey2184au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 21:37   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

As of the last time I looked there were still nearly 750 XA-XC (with some carried over from earlier models) parts available (in theory anyway) but they are all sorts of odds and ends.

I have those in a spreadsheet and I will discuss with LSVT how we can make this information easily available.

The statement by tranquilized is quite correct - soft items like trim disappear very quickly while panels are usually held in greater numbers - although LH side bits tend tro run out quicker for obvious reasons.

There are always odd, silly things left over e.g:

you can still get most of the XF S Pack stripe kit in Orange but only odd panels in black.

If it's practical we'll find a way of collating all the available data up to ED and publishing it here somewhere - it's a bit of a moving target of course but if we can do it then we can no doubt work out a way to update it 3 monthly or so.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 03:15   #7 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

Most Spares for my XF my local dealer has had in stock...

Ive bought:

- Door Locking Buttons
- Centre Wheel Trim
- Idle Soleniods
- Throttle Cable
- Distributor Caps/Rotors
- Coolant Outlets for the inlet manifold

And im sure a few other things ive missed...

As people have said interior parts are all obsolete now...they only stock things that wear out/have a high demand for...eg panels/grilles/gaskets and engine parts...hell they still have carby parts!

Regards
Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 04:51   #8 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

Thanks for the replies people.
Russ, that spreadsheet sounds like a good idea.
I can appreciate the work that would go into it, but it
would be a great help to a lot of people I reckon.
In the meantime, I am looking for a pair of new genuine XD headlights, and a rebuild kit for a thermoquad.

Thanks, Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 22:37   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Ok - here is an attempt at posting the spreadsheet discussed above for the XD/XE. I've divided the bits into logical sections to try and make navigation easier and this first one covers Brake & Clutch components. Some of the descriptions defy logic so if you aren't sure about something then PM me to ask. All of these bits were still available (in theory) as of 2 months ago but there is no way of ensuring they still are - if in doubt then call your local dealer.

Cheers
Russ
Attached Files
File Type: xls XD-XE B&C.xls (22.0 KB, 33 views)
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 04:06   #10 (permalink)
goooone

Cool thanks for that Russ If you can get any other XD parts up it would be greatly appreciated.
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub