Given the choice, would you buy a new AWD Magna or a new S/SS? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ā» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: If you had to choose between these, which would it be? (no anti Holden bias please)
New Mitsubishi Magna AWD 15 24.19%
New Holden S/SS 47 75.81%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2004, 19:43   #1 (permalink)
FF Town Mayor

Given the choice, would you buy a new AWD Magna or a new S/SS?

RELATED TO THE OTHER THREAD, AND THE HIGHIGHTED PART BELOW...SEEMS WE ARE ALL A BIT BIASED TOWARDS FORDS, SO GIVEN THE CHOICES ABOVE, WHAT WOULD YOU PREFER....

INTERESTED IN RESULTS AS A MATE THINKS PEOPLE WOULD BUY MITS OVER HOLDEN OR FORD...

From GoAuto....

MITSUBISHI’S long-awaited Magna VR-X AWD will be Australia’s first fully fledged all-wheel drive sports car when it goes on sale August 1. Or will it?
Launched last week alongside the new Lancer Evo VIII rally rocket – another major plank in the quest by beleaguered Mitsubishi Australia to reform its brand image via its off-road success – VR-X AWD will be introduced as part of a reshuffle across the Magna “sports” range.

In simplest terms, VR-X replaces VR – formerly known as Sports – as the sportiest Magna AWD, and VR is deleted from the regular, front-drive Magna range. As the new “sports” flagship across both AWD and 2WD ranges, VR-X also scores a significant pricing shift and minor cosmetic upgrade. Good news is the price goes down, by some $3600 or eight per cent for the standard VR-X (now $37,990 manual, $39,990 auto), while the auto-only VR-X AWD is $42,490 – just $500 more than its VR AWD predecessor – which lacked its VR-X bodykit, six-stacker audio, revised trim and tail-lights and leather handbrake grip.

Mitsubishi believes the more brightly coloured, more boldly badged and body-kitted VR-X AWD concept will appeal to 35 to 64 year-old Falcon XR, Commodore S/SS and Camry Sportivo buyers who also want to go around corners.
But given Mitsubishi released Australia’s first locally built AWD passenger sedan range in January 2003 – yes, the Magna AWD has been with us that long – and there are few items that separate VR AWD from VR-X AWD in the final year of the current Magna’s life, we're hoping it's not too little too late.
Mitsubishi says 200 VR-X sales per month is “very achievable”, with AWD expected to account for 40 per cent of that, or just 80 a month. Mitsu Oz’s original Magna AWD sales forecast was 300/month – 40 per cent (120
units) of which would be VR-X AWD (nee Sports AWD). More than 18 months on, potential customers may be disappointed to find the much anticipated range-topper, which was expected – along with a Ralliart Magna AWD – to appear within months of the facelifted TL/KL Magna’s August 2003 launch,
lacks its front-drive sibling’s 17-inch wheels, manual transmission and full 163kW output.

Worse still, instead of being acclaimed as Australia’s first true all-wheel drive sports car, the lacklustre performance leader of Australia’s only all-wheel drive sedan line-up will be beaten to market by HSV’s (limited edition) 270kW Coupe 4. Which begs the questions: what constitutes a sports sedan and what has Mitsubishi been doing?

Mitsubishi says development of the sportiest AWD Magna’s ride/handling deliberatelyconcentrated on bumpy and slippery surfaces and that 16-inch wheels/tyres are better suited when road surfaces deteriorate. And granted, the cost of redesigning Magna AWD’s (more circuitous) exhaust just for VR-X was always going to limit engine performance to the 159kW peak of the other AWD variants.

Cost also prevented engineering a manual transmission for VR-X AWD. VR-X AWD does, however, get wider 7.0-inch rims (10-spoke with 215/60 R16 Bridgestone Grid II rubber) even if its misses out on the 2WD VR-X’s 17x7.0-inch five-spoke alloys with 225/50 R17 tyres.

But the cash strapped Adelaide company admits prohibitive costs also indirectly prevented VR-X AWD from wearing 17-inch boots, because of the Japanese company’s stringent 12-month durability testing policy, which would have put VR-X AWD over time and over budget. For the record, both 2WD and AWD MY2004 Magna VR-Xs are distinguished by body coloured headlight bezels, a platinum coloured rear bumper insert, extended chrome exhaust outlet and other VR-X bodykit changes, including badging. Finally, an “AWD” badge appears on the back-end of Magna AWD, along with “QuadTec” and a bright “VR-X” badge opposite. An AWD decal is also located on the lower rear doors, so now at least VR-X AWD will be a little less inconspicuous.

Magna VR-X gets a grip on AWD Magna VR-X gets a grip on AWD REVISED MAGNA VR-X PRICING Mitsubishi Magna range gets a sporing shake-up as all-paw VR-X finally appears in range.

VR-X 2WD five-speed manual: $37,990
VR-X 2WD five-speed auto: $39,990
VR-X AWD five-speed auto: $42,490

For the full report and drive impressions, go to ww.goauto.com.au from this Friday afternoon
Extractors
2.5 inch cat
2.5 inch exhaust
Air intake conversion/pod
Performance plugs
170.0rwkw
14.80 @ 95.33 mph

Founder MTAS (Manual Transmission Appreciation Society)
Founder Society Against Stupid SMS Language
O.F.R. # 138
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2004, 19:47   #2 (permalink)
Just give me an excuse...

Re: Given the choice, would you buy a new AWD Magna or a new S/SS?

Between the Holden and the Mitsu I would go the Holden SS. It's a V8 nuff said
Old 06-22-2004, 19:48   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

For me i'll definitely choose a Commodore over a Magna. Putty Ford's aside i would go for a VYII SS Red 6 speed + Leather option

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 20:16   #4 (permalink)
Beastmaster

First generation AWD, very brave.......
Look at the Laser 4WD etc....
I would wait a model but theoreticly, yeh they seem ok
Revelations 13:18
Here is wisdom.
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the BEAST:
for it is the number of a F6 Typhoon; and its number is 0217.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 20:33   #5 (permalink)
Mercury Cougar Cool

have owned both Holden V8 and Magna / Verada. The Magna is a lot easier to live with on a day to day basis and quality is far superior to Holdens (which is why after 30 years of Holden ownership I don't have them on my list anymore)

My Verada's have been great cars but they lack character. A black AWD VR-X would be my choice but be prepared for a huge drop in value (should be offset by big discount on sale). Avoid the sun-roof - make too much noise above 60km
Old 06-22-2004, 20:38   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I would go for the Holden if i had to choose between those two. I just dont like the Magna at all.
BlueAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 20:43   #7 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Holden VYII Commodore SS in black thanks. Don't ever want to set foot in another Mitsushitty Crapna unless I really truley have to.
Old 06-22-2004, 21:10   #8 (permalink)

i'd try a magna. my parents have owned a vp commodore since new.. the mass of oil across our driveway is more than enough of a reason for me to avoid holdens.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 21:36   #9 (permalink)
Mmm, high pressure wash.

I'd go the SS (though a CV8 would be nicer). V8, RWD and plenty of scope for power mods... But I'd probably go with the slusher option as I can't be stuffed shifting gears.
Off-white EL Series II Falcon GLi Sapphire (4.0L Slothmaticā„¢) with K&N Filtercharger, Tickford Sports Suspension, DBA Longlife Gold (front), DBA Longlife Slotted (rear) and Bendix Ultimates all round. Driven by The Slothmanā„¢.

Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, or the Ford Forums Food Bandits, where cruising, eating and talking shite is what it's all about. Click here to visit the official (albeit slightly outdated) website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team GT Media
We love having 3FB Inc guys around!
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 22:35   #10 (permalink)

If I got the Commodore I'd have to have a sticker saying "Wish it was a Ford" on it
Ambrose_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub