GM seeks to pass cost of ABS, side air bags on to consumers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2002, 19:24   #1 (permalink)

GM seeks to pass cost of ABS, side air bags on to consumers

From The Sydney Morning Herald

General Motors (GM) Corp would no longer offer anti-lock braking systems (ABS) and side air bags as standard features on a number of its 2003 model vehicles, the company said today.

Consumers would still be able to get the safety features on their vehicles, but they would be priced as optional extras above the vehicle sticker price, according to Jay Cooney, GM spokesman on safety issues.

The move will trim the number of GM vehicles where side air bags are a standard feature from 31 down to 10.

GM's luxury Cadillac and Saab brands, its premium Corvette and two midsize vehicles have survived the downgrade.

"We're just becoming more competitive in our offerings," said Cooney, adding that the company's own consumer research had shown that "the public doesn't know that they had ABS," in some cases.

The move is only the first - and arguably most controversial - of cost-cutting measures that will be achieved by paring back the content in vehicles, and selling that content as an upgrade at the dealership.

GM marketing spokeswoman Julie Hamp said there were more than 1,000 changes in the works, including the removal of badging on the vehicle's exterior and embroidery from floor mats.

Consumers would not save any money on the basic purchase price of a vehicle, but some of the cost savings would be channelled into improving the quality of materials used in GM vehicles, she said.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2002, 19:46   #2 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

That's been touted for a while - can't say I agree with it tho ...
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 19:50   #3 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Hmmm interesting definition of "competitive".

I guess they have so many customers that it doesn't matter if a few thousand die of avoidable injuries...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 19:56   #4 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_Travis
I guess they have so many customers that it doesn't matter if a few thousand die of avoidable injuries...
That's a silly comment - what about all the Falcon owners without side airbags ... is Ford responsible for never offering them?
Old 04-10-2002, 20:25   #5 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Sorry - but dont air bags cause a lot of injuries and deaths?

I personally have never owned a car with an airbag in it... and the only experience I have with them, is helping cutting them out after they had gone off.
Old 04-10-2002, 20:44   #6 (permalink)

In USA there have been instances of airbags killing people (don't know the full details of why and how) but I don't think there have been any instances of this happening in Australia. The sensor things that trigger them are set differently (higher tolerance) than in USA I believe.

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 21:12   #7 (permalink)
Classic Capri Member

i heard it was because a lot of Americans still do not wear seat belts there fore the air bag needs to go off quicker to stop them hitting sterring wheels
IRPACAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 21:44   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Fatalities with air bags were for several reasons:
- Not wearing a seatbelt, air bags are designed for seat belt use as well, if your not wearing a seatbelt I don't know what you think your airbag is going to do, you ever tried to stop a 100Kg person traveling at 70kmph with there forhead using a 100mm thick air pillow at a brick wall? Jump out of a 8 story window with a hemoroid cusion on your head and see what happens.
- Small children would get injured/killed in a low speed impact userally not wearing seatbelts. Small children should sit in the back.
-Some tried to get around the seatbelt thing by making them inflate faster.. Hence more forceful, hence people got injured..

Air bags are good, ABS is userally good. People don't understand them. When the abs system goes off the first reaction to the shuddering peddle is to release the brake becuase something is wrong.. Dumb move. People who don't wear seatbelts or have there head right next to the dash when airbags go off are asking for trouble anyway.

In the UK they are talking about making Airbags, ABS, daytime running light compulsory.. Good if people know what they do and don't do.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 21:54   #9 (permalink)

I drove a VT this morning with ABS. Gotta say the brakes where excellent except for when they locked up. A little strange that was. So I thought that maybe it doesn't have the ABS although I thought all VT's came standard with ABS.

How can GM ask ppl to pay for this??
Old 04-10-2002, 21:59   #10 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

ABS only became std across the range in VX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub