Going to Perth for a short Holiday! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2003, 22:54   #1 (permalink)
Soon to become: Jake_XR6

Going to Perth for a short Holiday!

I'll be going to Perth for four days / 3 nights from 23-26th May.

I've already booked a BA from Hertz with unlimmited mileage!

Can anyone who lives in Perth, or has been there give me some
tips on where to go. I have already been told to go to:

Cottesloe
Lancelin
Fremantle
Rottnest Island

I would like to go to the Pinnacles/Monkey Mia, but it may be to far for a day trip.

Thanks, Jake.
Air Intake: T-Series, K&N Filter.
Brakes: Calipers painted red, DBA slotted rotors & Lucas pads.
Windows: Tinted.
Gearstick: Shortened.
Fuel: Dual Fuel.
Dyno: 143 rwKw (Dynodynamics - shootout mode).
Heathcote: 15.87 @ 89.1 Mph.
BLACK XR6-VCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2003, 23:29   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

If you are looking for day trips these can be pretty limited unless you want something inside the metro area.

I would suggest trip south of perth - Margaret River, Dunsborough, Busselton, Yallingup - however this is best done with an overnighter as would be 2.5 hrs each way without seeing anything

All good if you like wine, the beaches might be a bit cool but if you want to snap a board or two the waves should be good..
Old 05-16-2003, 03:30   #3 (permalink)
DARK SIDE spy

Ah!! I was on my way there a week ago!
You should be able to get to the Pinnacles..Monkey Mia would take a day to drive too.
I think there is a "Monster Bus' up there somewhere that goes all over the Dunes!!!
Maybe go to York..That is 45-50 minutes to the East of Perth. It is an Old town, if you like that sort of stuff!! It does have quite a well known Car museum though!

motomk
Old 05-16-2003, 05:39   #4 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Monkey Mia a day drive?

From www.whereis.com.au: Total 860.25 km, Total 17 Hrs 56 Mins.

So, I guess technically you COULD do it in a day, but not in reality, or safely.

Gee, these Eastern Staters have no idea <only kidding>

I'd go with a previous poster and go for the Pinnacles (5+ hours according to whereis) or Margaret River (a 3 - 3.5 hour drive with no stops from regular experience), but I reckon Pemberton would be better. Margaret River is, IMHO, over-rated, but the region is what you should see.

Rottnest Island, haven't been since I was a kid, but people still like it. Depends on the weather, if like today, don't even consider it.

Make sure you catch the Perth metro beaches, Kings Park, the view from a tall building (unfortunately none have public viewing), if I was home when you were here, I'd off to take you up to L25 of where I work for a great view, but I'm in Brisbane.

Anyway, enjoy your trip!

Simon....
Old 05-16-2003, 06:50   #5 (permalink)
DARK SIDE spy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightning
Monkey Mia a day drive?

From www.whereis.com.au: Total 860.25 km, Total 17 Hrs 56 Mins.

So, I guess technically you COULD do it in a day, but not in reality, or safely.

Gee, these Eastern Staters have no idea <only kidding>

860km divided by 18hrs is a little over 45kmh. Lightning, let me lend you one of my Trabants, you might get there quicker!!!! Safer...maybe not!!!!
Ok so I haven't been there for 4 years! but I work there everyday!!!
My travel calculator of choice made it just over 9hours, however I would be adding a couple more for stops etc.

If you go down to Pemberton, you'd want to be overnighting as well. Valley of the Giants etc, You could even stop over in Albany! Remind you of Melbourne.

motomk
Old 05-16-2003, 08:17   #6 (permalink)
Dreamer

Yanchep is were the huge Bus climbs the dunes, i so want to go on it, but i think you need a group to be able to use it, cost of fuel etc etc would be to great for just one or two persons.

A day to drive to monkey mia, bah if your driving miss daisy maybe, it took me a day to drive to exmouth, which is 1200km north of Perth. You should make it to monkey mia in half a day, leave at 6am, get there around 3pm or earlier, depending on how slow you drive. But honestly theres not much up north to see, if you want to see it, take a big holiday and 4x4 it around th ekimberly region, thats awesome!

Go down south, this time of year its all nice and wet and colourful, cold it is, but very pretty. Real shit weather this week, if you were here right now, you'd be by the fire or gas heater drinking a hot chocolate on your holiday...
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 16:24   #7 (permalink)
Can't get enough of it!

Quote:
Originally posted by motomk
[B]860km divided by 18hrs is a little over 45kmh. Lightning, let me lend you one of my Trabants, you might get there quicker!!!! Safer...maybe not!!!!
Yeah, yeah, I didn't check the stupid things sums

I still reckon you wouldn't want to do it in one day, with a single driver. Kind of like, yes, you can drive from Melbourne to Sydney in one day, but would you? <now, that may have been a silly thing to say too, but we didn't>

Quote:
Originally posted by motomk
If you go down to Pemberton, you'd want to be overnighting as well. Valley of the Giants etc, You could even stop over in Albany! Remind you of Melbourne.
motomk
Totally agree there.

Simon....
Old 05-16-2003, 17:27   #8 (permalink)

haha if u guys could see me now! im sitting at work in my home town of albany - its about 10*C and its raining so hard I cant even see across the other side of the road - and u wanna drive 400km to see this?!?!? its a pity u were not heading down a week later as we will be having our annual 'round-the-houses' race through the centre of town..... better still u could start at 2am with me and help set up all the armco, sandbags etc.
XA_JG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 20:35   #9 (permalink)
DARK SIDE spy

Quote:
Originally posted by XA_JG66
haha if u guys could see me now! im sitting at work in my home town of albany - its about 10*C and its raining so hard I cant even see across the other side of the road - and u wanna drive 400km to see this?!?!? its a pity u were not heading down a week later as we will be having our annual 'round-the-houses' race through the centre of town..... better still u could start at 2am with me and help set up all the armco, sandbags etc.
There was a businessman who was sadly killed in a Helicopter crash who I think owned a lot of vintage cars and a flashy Hotel down there somewherel? He used to fly down there in his own private plane! I hope I am not getting Businessmen mixed up here. Is there still a collection of cars down there?

motomk
Old 05-16-2003, 20:48   #10 (permalink)

His name was Paul Terry and he owned a hotel on the main beach called the esplanade. We used to run legal drag meets on his private airstrip until the september 11 thing caused insurance woes. yes he had a fantastic collection of cars inclueding the delorean from back-to-the-future and the 'geniveive' (rumour had it that car cost him 5 mill$). he also had gt falcons and exotic cars like lambo's etc. sadly when he died his wife sold most of the cars and the hotel.
XA_JG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub