Got opportunity to try may car out tonite - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 06:41   #1 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Got opportunity to try my car out tonite

I live 23 km out of town along the highway (110kph zone) and tonight on the way home from work had this guy give me the opportunity to give my beast a decent run.

- Bugger! I just had to edit my story away because it occurred to me that there might be "implications" in declaring in writing the sort of speeds I did.

To cut a long story short I got to stretch my machine's legs and in the process may have proven to have a performance edge on a VT HSV.

Was fun!!
EDFUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2002, 17:05   #2 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

Good effort mate

Go the EF XR6 cam :s6:
Old 03-15-2002, 17:06   #3 (permalink)
Powered by HAD

ps. Racing is baaaaad
Old 03-16-2002, 16:54   #4 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Yeah, you're absolutely right - I don't think I'll do that sort of thing again - it was unusual - enough so for me to do a post here about it - and as much fun as it was, I don't know how I would have coped if either of us had pranged.

I do wish I'd had this cam in the engine instead of the Crow one when we drove to Qld last year!!

Also, we didn't see any other vehicles on that section of road during any of it - if other traffic had appeared anywhere in sight I would have just stopped immediately.

BTW, I've realised something - it's very doubtful he was a HSV because somehow I doubt they're limited to 180 - regardless tho, if it was a six then I can comfortably kill them at all speeds and if it was an 8 then even better.
Old 03-17-2002, 00:56   #5 (permalink)
gone

Re: Got opportunity to try may car out tonite

Quote:
Originally posted by EDFUTURA

- Bugger! I just had to edit my story away because it occurred to me that there might be "implications" in declaring in writing the sort of speeds I did.

A very wise move indeed!

Glad you "tested your car" but remember one thing., it only takes a split second for your molars to be implanted 6 feet into a tree!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 01:35   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by AusXH
ps. Racing is baaaaad
mkaaaaaaaaay.

EDFutura,
Sounds like your modified ED falcon is a pretty quick gear. Should put her on the dyno.
Hmmm seems an XR6 cam is a worthwhile upgrade,

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 02:23   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having it checked sometime - mind you, I'd prefer to get the manifold switching working first at least. Compared to when I started "modifying" the engine, it's changed from being "ok" but suffering on hot days and really benefitting from turning off the aircon for decent acceleration - to a situation now where it feels heaps better on the hottest most humid day with aircon running flat out than it ever did on the coolest day with aircon off. It now doesn't seem to notice load - it performs just about as well with the arse dragging on the stops as it does with just me and half tank of fuel.

I now don't even think about the aircon - it's permanently on - and I hardly ever use power mode. Around town it's effortless - fairly wild if you plant it (mind you, it won't just lite up the tyres in the dry - auto tranny thing?) - but being booked for 100+ in a 60 zone would be no fun so I don't do that much. Overtaking 5 trailer roadtrains is just too easy from any speed (although commencing at 160 is tricky because of the limiter - 20kph is slow overtake rate) and it accelerates solidly to the limiter - holding it flat when overtaking 3 or more cars or a roadtrain with 4 or more trailers will see it hitting the limiter while still in the other lane.

As far as putting an EFXR6 cam into your wagon, I think it would definitely improve over std, but keep in mind I'm running the EFXR6 head as well (with larger exhaust valves). To someone who's keen to "experiment" I'd say definitely go ahead and do it, but if you're pretty happy now I wouldn't unless you're prepared to cut your losses if it doesn't work and have the std cam put back in (ie. you'd need to be prepared to go thru the messing about and cost that it might entail).
Old 03-17-2002, 20:39   #8 (permalink)

Re: Got opportunity to try my car out tonite

Quote:

Was fun!!
Good move....

Quote:

BTW, I've realised something - it's very doubtful he was a HSV because somehow I doubt they're limited to 180 - regardless tho, if it was a six then I can comfortably kill them at all speeds and if it was an 8 then even better.
hmmmm....
Futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 21:08   #9 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

errr - I mean that it looked like HE only got to 180 and no higher, but it was admittedly difficult for me to tell from my point of view and much lower speed.
Old 03-19-2002, 15:50   #10 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

EDFutura,
Would you have any idea how much an EF XR6 cam from Ford trade price would cost?

Also would it run ok with a stock EF motor. I just have this idea that since the rocker cover and valvetrain is going to comeoff again, i might see if i can get a better cam.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub