Had my first drive in a muscle car... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2002, 22:26   #1 (permalink)

Had my first drive in a muscle car...

I had a blast to the past last night, as i hoped in an XA GT coupe. I turned the key and the 351 jumped into life with a nice burble exiting the exhaust. What a note!!

Selected reverse, easily let the clutch out and I started moving. Man.... the steering was freaking heavy. Now into first, give it a little bit of revs, and away I went. Smacked the accelerator to the floor, and got pounded back into my seat. Clutch in, select second gear, clutch out and flat on the accelerator. What a rush... what a note!!!

Couldn't tell how fast I was going as there were no lights on the dash. But I know it was fast. Came to a stop, into first again, and it started all over again.

Damn, what a car!! Just a shame that I could'nt drive it any longer.

Two annoying things with it was I kept accidently putting high beam on, as the switch is where im use to the rest pedal. And reverse and first are so damn close together, that i kept choosing reverse. Lucky there where no cars behind.

I want to get one now.....
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2002, 22:37   #2 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

You have succumbed to the power of the leaf springs and dual zorsts mate.. not a bad thing really it was just a matter of time heh heh. Imagine driving one of those for work everyday
Old 11-21-2002, 23:02   #3 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Ahhhh, your story brings back the days of my worked 4V XBGT, worked 351 XD, worked 302 XR UTE, worked 351 XB Coupe, worked 351 XC Panel van, 351 XB with shaker scoop..etc etc.

The sound, the smell, the speed, the fuel and those F**kin squeaks in the front suspension..lol

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 00:38   #4 (permalink)
GTHO4

Re: Had my first drive in a muscle car...

Quote:
Originally posted by Futura97
Had my first drive in a muscle car...
Congrats!! you're a virgin no more. :s5
Old 11-22-2002, 01:02   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Reverse and first are so damn close together, that i kept choosing reverse. Lucky there where no cars behind.

You've been seduced by the evil side - no Air conditioning, no power steering, absolutly no pollution control and joy oh joy Carburation giving around 10MPG. There's no turning back now.

Just a niggly thing but if the car had a top loader (standard manual on XAGT) isn't reverse near second not first (I seem to remember, with a top loader you went left and back for reverse)

Sorry for being pedantic

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 11-22-2002, 04:46   #6 (permalink)

Re: Re: Had my first drive in a muscle car...

Quote:
Originally posted by xr6wgn
You've been seduced by the evil side - no Air conditioning, no power steering, absolutly no pollution control and joy oh joy Carburation giving around 10MPG.
And i loved it!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by xr6wgn
Just a niggly thing but if the car had a top loader (standard manual on XAGT) isn't reverse near second not first (I seem to remember, with a top loader you went left and back for reverse)

Sorry for being pedantic
Maybe it might have been one dressed up as a GT, but there where badges on the side and i also noticed one on the centre console near the dash.

Dunno....... But it was faaaasstttt!!!
Old 11-22-2002, 04:52   #7 (permalink)
BSR Twin System (tm)

Quote:
I had a blast to the past last night, as i hoped in an XA GT coupe. I turned the key and the 351 jumped into life with a nice burble exiting the exhaust. What a note!!

Selected reverse, easily let the clutch out and I started moving. Man.... the steering was freaking heavy. Now into first, give it a little bit of revs, and away I went. Smacked the accelerator to the floor, and got pounded back into my seat. Clutch in, select second gear, clutch out and flat on the accelerator. What a rush... what a note!!!

Couldn't tell how fast I was going as there were no lights on the dash. But I know it was fast. Came to a stop, into first again, and it started all over again.

Damn, what a car!! Just a shame that I could'nt drive it any longer.

Two annoying things with it was I kept accidently putting high beam on, as the switch is where im use to the rest pedal. And reverse and first are so damn close together, that i kept choosing reverse. Lucky there where no cars behind.

As XWJG34 said, welcome to the power of "LEAF SPRINGS (tm)" and "DUAL EXHAUSTS (tm)". From here, there is no turning back!

The problem with the shifter on the Top Loader selecting reverse when you try to pick second is more than likely a broken Detent Spring.

As for the high beam switch on the floor, later model XBs had a regular stalk mounted headlight dipper.
Official BSR Website - www.bsrcorp.com
Poster of the 150,000th post!
BSR "DARTH HELMET (tm)"
Marcos Ambrose & SBR, 2003 & 2004 V8SUPERCAR Champions

****ADSLSUPERFASTP0RNPIPE (tm)****
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 20:21   #8 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

You have now graduated into the 'old school' division
May your stay be loud and side ways hehe

Congrats man!
Old 11-23-2002, 04:22   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

my EA wuld whip it
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 15:20   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I am leaving the above post alone so it stands in complete absurdity..

Futura97 .. you have now been infected with the virus " It has power nothng but power to spare" virus!!
There is very little that is refined about the older cars but they have a charm of their own!! Being pre pollution allows a greater latitude for modification.. with no re******t EPA issues ... except noise.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub