The 'hardcore' car enthusiasts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Who are the most enthusiastic about their cars?
Australians 23 53.49%
Americans 9 20.93%
Japanese (or the whole asian community) 7 16.28%
Europeans 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2002, 23:18   #1 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

The 'hardcore' car enthusiasts

Well, who do you guys think are the most passionate about their cars??
Is it us Aussies, the Yanks, Japanese or Europeans.
I think it is us Aussies, because when I was in Europe they pretty much usually did not campare to our enthusiasm on average.
What you reckon fellas?

Old 11-01-2002, 23:20   #2 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

To clarify, when I say "the whole asian community" I am talking about the Asian countries, ie China, Korea etc. I just used Japan since I think they are the most active in their 'car care'
Old 11-02-2002, 01:56   #3 (permalink)

I was going to say Americans because of all the classic cars from over there, but now days...I don't think so. Camrys, SUV's..and the Taurus...Mmmm.
A bigger % of Aussies are enthusiastic about their cars...why else are we near the only place that has rear wheel drives as the top sellers.
If enthusiastic means sporty versions of bread and butter cars, we're home and hosed.
Old 11-02-2002, 04:21   #4 (permalink)
Mustang Owner

Well the Yanks do love thier cars and they offer more to the consumer than our major brands. One thing I did notice when over in the USA was the quailty of cars. Sure there are some very fine examples of cult cars in the US, just like to Streetmachine magazine cars. Overall I would say there seems to be more work and effort that goes into street cars here in Australia than the USA.

Owns
66 Silver Frost Mustang 289 Windsor
71 XY GS Fairmont in Bronze Wine 302 Windsor
92 EB XR8 302 Windsor

Sure do love those Windsors
66_mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 14:02   #5 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

Quote:
Originally posted by Rastus
I was going to say Americans because of all the classic cars from over there, but now days...I don't think so. Camrys, SUV's..and the Taurus...Mmmm.
I think that Rastus has sumed it up nicely with that sentence.
And I think that If we're not careful, The Aussie market will end up with like the American one.
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 00:04   #6 (permalink)
A Fully Sick " Can't "

It's slowly heading that way, or atleast that's what it looks like.
Old 11-03-2002, 00:43   #7 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

If you had ever been to Thailand, you would say them as there is so many cars getting around!

As for car culture, I'd say the Americans, followed by us and the Jappanese.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:31   #8 (permalink)
Newest Member

Could one of the mods change my vote from Japs to Americans...

I have to say that the Americans are the hardcore car enthusiasts country followed by the Japs and then us Aussies...

Reason being: Americans and Japs seem to be able to extract huge powers out of almost any engine. The Americans have a stackload of 'car enthusiasts' including people who go for the 'all show no go'... that in my dictionary still qualifies as a car enthusiast. The Japs also have a lot of the 'all show no go' stuff over there... a lot more than Australia.... I mean like it's where the 'all show no go' guys get their stuff from right.
Tommy Boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 15:24   #9 (permalink)
removed as previously discussed!

definately the japs and americans.
getting parts in both of those countries for either a v8 or 4 cyl is a whole lot cheaper there then it is here since most of the manufacturers are over there.
Old 11-03-2002, 16:18   #10 (permalink)

Heres what i think,

Japan, Europe and the US all have massive populations compared to us, and they also have a lot of money. This means that even if a small % of the population gets into cars, they have enough market force to support a big after market industry.

Fuel, new car and emissions taxes also play a big part in it too. We have it fairly easy here compared to the other 3 choices. This gives us the freedom to run big capacity engines with much less impact on the purchase and running costs of our cars.

It also has a lot to do with geography. Here in aus, we have a huge country with a fairly spread out population, therefore we tend to spend a lot more time in our cars. This means that many more people take better care of their cars.

We (Aussies) are very lucky to have such a huge local car industry. I think this is purely due to geography. The distance that we have to transport any vehicles that we want to import, adds enough cost to the product to make a local industry viable. Just try and think of another country that has so few people and produces its own cars from the ground up.

I'll have to vote for us Aussies i think. Such a pissant little economy, and yet we can produce world class new cars and have produced some of the legends of motor sport (cars, drivers and tracks). Where else can you buy a family sedan for 40k with over 220 kw. I LOVE THIS PLACE!!
PURSUTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub