Hawks appoint Alistair Clarkson - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 21:00   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Thumbs up Hawks appoint Alistair Clarkson

www.hawthornfc.com.au

The Hawthorn Football Club is pleased to announce that Alistair Clarkson has been appointed senior coach for the next two years.

Clarkson will start his tenure at Glenferrie Oval immediately.

The Club will hold a media conference in the Crimmins Room today with Clarkson, president Ian Dicker and interim CEO Jason Dunstall.

Clarkson, 36, has served an enduring coaching apprenticeship with VFL side Werribee, St Kilda, Central Districts in the SANFL and most recently two years at Port Adelaide, where he was responsible for the midfield in 2003 and the forwards in 2004.

Clarkson coached Central Districts in the SANFL from 2001-2002, taking them to a premiership in 2001 and finishing runner-up in 2002.

In 2000 he coached Werribee as well as being the clubs marketing manager.
He spent the 1999 season as an assistant coach at St Kilda.

A strong and aggressive half-forward, Clarkson played 93 games with North Melbourne from 1987-95 before being traded to Melbourne, where he added a further 41 games from 1996-97.

After retiring from AFL football, Clarkson stayed at Melbourne as conditioning coach and runner in 1998.

Clarkson has a Diploma of Education and a Graduate Diploma in Exercise and Sport Science from Deakin University and was a PE teacher at Wesley College from 1990-94.

He also has a Masters in Business Administration from Monash University.

Clarkson is married with two children and is expecting his third child any day.
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2004, 05:00   #2 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Re: Hawks appoint Alistair Clarkson

Well that came as a supprise. I would have put money on Gary Ayres.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 05:32   #3 (permalink)
V8 ute driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Well that came as a supprise. I would have put money on Gary Ayres.
Took the words right outa my mouth, but i'm glad they didn't. I don't think Ayresy has the ability to get the best outa a team.
Plus i reckon they expected to much of a backlash with people seeing it as a buddy deal with him being such good friends with dermie an dunstall.
Good on em, hope the hawks do alright next year. Don't mind them for a vic team.
Any offer considered.
Now driving a 04 BA XR8 Manual Envi ute. Mods to come...
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:05   #4 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

I don't like Ayresy full stop. I'm glad he wasn't appointes as that means I won't have to see his arrogant head on TV anymore. He made his senior Coaching debut at the club I barrack for.....
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 17:32   #5 (permalink)
I am The Brain

I'm glad we went for Clarkson. There was no way I wanted Ayres because there is way too much of an old boys club down there at Glenferrie with so many past players making decisions that are ruled by their heart not their head. McDonald would be my second choice after Clarkson.

Hopefully Clarkson has what it takes to get some respectability back into the team, after 1 season of being the laughing stock of the competition, I have had enough. Fair enough that we wont be winning many games for the next couple of years, that doesn't bother me as much as being mocked all the time. Changing the playing list to being something respectable is what Schwab failed to do, building up our stocks of weak Half back flankers and keeping so much dead wood around the club. It was time for someone without a conflict of interest to come and change the list, which will mean we wont be the most competitive side for a couple of years. Getting respect is what I think Clarkson will do and any Hawks supporter who wants immediate success after he cleans up the playing group is dreaming. First priority is to get some respect back into the way we go about footy, that is the quickest part to work on. Then the playing group will come around.

Good luck to Clarkson, I just hope he doesn't become the object of agression from the board or supporters when the team struggles for the first 2 years of his appointment.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub