Heading to Mallacoota... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2002, 19:29   #1 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Heading to Mallacoota...

Hey people...

Well i've planned some time away and heading to Mallacoota in early Jan. Just wondering if anybody has been there and can tell me about the place, things to do and most importantly some good fishing spots....

thanks.. and hope you all have a great xmas!

Chris
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2002, 20:24   #2 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

My folks went down there 18 months ago and there were no fish whatsoever, they didnt even get a bite, one of the lakes was unusable and they just generally had a crap time. Sorry for sounding so negative, but thats their impression of it.
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 21:39   #3 (permalink)

I've had some great times fishing for bream up the betka (sp?) river, just using prawns for bait. Fishing the lakes around there has been alright, but I've had better success along the shorelines. Not much of a night life up there. Are you staying at the caravan park? Best times I've had are walking / riding the bush around there, climbing sand dunes, and seeing the abundance of roos and other wild life.
I'll probably be up there myself around that time too...
Hampsteads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 03:30   #4 (permalink)
1000th post by 2014

went up there a couple of years ago now. The Betka is good for getting bait fish in the shallower areas. Dont remember catching anything decent but. Although at the pier, a kid fell in the drink when he hooked a sting ray , that was the highlight. The kid was alright btw
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 15:02   #5 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah i don't expect the nigh life to be great, i guess i'm really going there to get away from that to some degree. I guess my girlfriend will help me out there anyway

I really only organised this on such short notice so i couldn't get setup for camping so i luckily managed to get a room at the Mallacoota Motor Inn.

Can't wait to get out there and get some fish!
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 17:10   #6 (permalink)
Faster than Zyrtec

Quote:
Originally posted by JEM
I guess my girlfriend will help me out there anyway

you cheeky lucky bastard :s5:......
dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 21:57   #7 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Yeah the betka or the wallagarah river are good spots for bream. We use to go to mallacoota every year, but sadly dont anymore. We got a bait pump and found some pink nippers for bait, as well as small mullet (all live).

The first year we went me and 2 mates ended up with 50 odd leather jackets from the pier. The jetty is a good spot for night time fishing to, a fair variety there.

What ever you do dont ride around there on a push bike without a helmet...the locals are bored enough to call the police to report such instances. lol. Dont ask how i know.

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub