Help buying a 2nd hand car from a dealer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2003, 03:41   #1 (permalink)

Help buying a 2nd hand car from a dealer

Hi all,

I have never bought a car from a dealer and need some advice! Basically how much can I bargain the price down to? I know it varies but just say a average ball park figure on cars advertised at about $23000 and $26000. I have about $20 000 to spend you see.

Also what are some tactics that you all use? My dad always says to act uninterested in the car and say that you have been looking around at quite a few dealers in the last week or so. Any other tips that you can share with me would be appreciated.

All comments much appreciated as I am very inexperienced when it comes to dealers and dont want to get majorly ripped off.

Cheers

Tim
Tim_EF_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2003, 04:19   #2 (permalink)
Ford Member

Re: Help buying a 2nd hand car from a dealer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim_EF_5.0
Hi all,

I have never bought a car from a dealer and need some advice! Basically how much can I bargain the price down to? I know it varies but just say a average ball park figure on cars advertised at about $23000 and $26000. I have about $20 000 to spend you see.

Also what are some tactics that you all use? My dad always says to act uninterested in the car and say that you have been looking around at quite a few dealers in the last week or so. Any other tips that you can share with me would be appreciated.

All comments much appreciated as I am very inexperienced when it comes to dealers and dont want to get majorly ripped off.

Cheers

Tim
Depends if you have a trade or not, depends on whether you have cash or taking a loan (then it could depend on whether you want to do the loan through whoever they use). Depends on how long the car has been on the lot.

I was close to getting a V8 AUII Fairmont that had body kit and exhaust done at a Ford Dealer, had a CHP on a EF Ghia that I purchased from there 4 years before still owing $16k. Had to bargain my trade up because I had to cash the difference and couldn't bargain the car down. They wanted $35k.. couldn't meet a common ground on it but they ended up selling the car for $27k cash a few weeks later.

If a car dealer can't offer you a deal you think is fair then you just walk, normally if you're in the ballpark with what they'll accept they'll grab you back. You just need to believe that you're the one in control and you're the one with what THEY want... plenty of dealers out there with plenty of cars so if you can't get a fair deal on one yard, move to the next.

What you can bargain them down to generally depends on the price. I like to go for about 15% off at around the 26k mark. Keep an eye on the yards over a few weeks, if a car is still there then chances are it'll be costing them money to keep it and you can bargain them down more for it.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:17   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Tim, the dealership I work at has a 4-6k markup on the used stock. That is on the window price. Even when you see a car as an advertised special in most cases it is 1-2k off the window price depending on value off the car, they still have lots off room to play with. So dont be affraid to bargin, at the end of the day its their job thats on the line, they have to sell cars. Also you are more likely to get a better deal at the end of the month due to more pressure from management to meet monthly figures! Just remeber its your money and you are the boss! You will find that most salesman know f&*^ all about cars and can talk some serios s%$#. Hope that helps!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 12:46   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Exactly to above: I have had success by offering them a reasonable price leaving my mobile # and walking like I'm not too interested. If you require finance imo its better to organise that way before hand..Salespeople know plenty about the car [faults] when you are trading in but you'll find they know nothing about the car they'r selling unless its all the extra good point$ ...
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 13:50   #5 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

On luxury cars the mark up by dealers is almost always 5 figures. Like my Volvo 850R. Went looking to buy and best prices I could get were around $50k. So I borrowed another guy's identical (almost) car and went arounds seeing what I could get as a trade. $27k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 13:53   #6 (permalink)
RACE

I'm with XTRmn8 as well. Wait till the end of this month before buying but keep your eyes open before then. Narrow it down to 2 or 3 cars before you even start bargaining.

Good luck anyway.
Old 03-11-2003, 14:24   #7 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Don't haggle on price unless you are willing to take the car that day. The best way in my experience to get a deal is to say "Give me the car for $x & I'll sign the contract now". Of course that means that you have to do your homework before you walk into a dealer.
Old 03-11-2003, 17:04   #8 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Tim,

What i can say is that as a guide the dealers make about 25% profit on trade in cars, which that applys to your vehicle if your trading it in.

Another factor in regards to near new car prices is often dealers will be in a network so they know what other dealers around them have in stock.

Basically when it comes down to the crunch if your argueing with the dealer for around $1-3k your usually in a spot to buy the car and pretty much you got the car.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 06:23   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

also watch interest rates and shop around 7% i believe can be gotten, or so im told . also if you cant get the price down try to get your trade price way up.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 21:15   #10 (permalink)
Australian BA XR6 Falcon

Dealer don't all work on end of calander month cycles, so then end of month thing doesn't always work.

Look at cars for around the $23K mark, if you have the cash offer em $19K (assuming its not an overpriced dog) and say you will go and get the cheque right away. If they say no give us $20K, leave, go to the bank and have a bank cheque made out for $19K and go back and say i'll take it now.

Plenty of different ways to do it but they need to know you are serious, acting disinterested sometimes give the impression your a tyre kicker.

You can also agree on a price, then say how about chucking in a tow bar, tints etc - just depends on that fat in the car, some cars have been overtraded in the new car section and the 2nd hand guys are stuck with it.

Kieron
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub