Herald-Sun BA verdicts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2002, 09:42   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Herald-Sun BA verdicts

Here are a few quotes from the Drive section of the Herald-Sun newspaper.

Verdicts:

Paul Gover - A

"First impression? The car looks tough in traffic, the cabin is much more luxurious, and the steering wheel is uncomfortable.

Next? The Turbo-charged six is hugely impressive with sensational acceleration - almost from idle, the suspension feels more compliant, and the headlights are great."

"But the most impressive thing about the BA was how the car shrank around me.
It felt far more nimble, precise and balanced than any previous Falcon and that's a feeling that carries through the whole BA range.
The steering has great feedback, the front-to-rear balance is better than before - without any of the sharpness or crashing in the nose and cornering grip is very impressive."

"The turbocharged engine is just plain brilliant. It doesn't have the tailpipe thunder of a V8, but it's more usable and promises to be lighter at the bowser. The five-speed gearbox, with a bold Momo alloy knob on top, felt just a little crisper."

"It wasn't down to the XR6 package, but the overall updating and upgrading . Ford has done a massive amount of work and the result is a car that's better in every area. It's going to make plenty of people take a fresh look at a Falcon"

Gavin McGrath - A+

"After driving an AUII Falcon as a starting point, the BA Falcon simply does everything better than the car it replaces"

"The biggest improvements occur in the base model XT, which has ditched the "poverty pack" feel once and for all. As a fleet model, the XT has an interior look and touch to a level you would find in some more expensive European cars."

"Overall the BA is an impressive car"

Graham Smith - B (Anti-Ford)

"It's a good car and a huge leap forward from the AU, but there were things - like shoddy build quality - that disappointed.
Bubbling crash pads, loose trim parts, poorly-fitting doors, clunking rear suspension and varying levels of wind noise suggesting that Ford hasn't pegged down the production bugs. Given that the cars were going to be driven by the media, it's disappointing the problems weren't fixed"

The risk in running a media campaign over such an extended period is that the car won't live up to expectations, and that's the way it was for me with the interior. While it is a huge advance over the very plastic AU interior, it falls well short of Euro look and feel that was promised.
The high-end home stereo look fell far short of Bose or B&Q.
It was rather bland, the finish was obviously plastic and the feel of the controls was sloppy.
Those criticisms aside, the six cylinder engine is superb, in both normally-aspirated and turbo form.
It is so good that it overshadows the new V8. Likewise, the Falcon's on-road feel is good.
The steering is progressive, the handling well-balanced with high level of grip, and the ride is well controlled and comfortable., although in my view the ride of the Fairmont Ghia is too firm for a car touted as the ultimate luxury model.

Graham Smith has a right to his own opinions but he is a complete idiot.
He doesn't deserve to drive a Ford.
FPRXR-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2002, 16:04   #2 (permalink)

I am no journo, but everything he said about the interior, what a load of BS, After sitting in a BA Futura yesterday, I was completely blown away by what I saw. BA ia almost too good to be a humble old Falcon!!! Graham Smith- PULL YOUR HEAD IN
Old 09-26-2002, 16:05   #3 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

yeah what a wanker but 2 out of 3 ain't bad!
Old 09-26-2002, 16:14   #4 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

I'm sure that loser didn't even drive the BA yet!
Old 09-26-2002, 16:16   #5 (permalink)

I think the most impressive part of the whole thing was Gover's comments!! Gover has almost always been really harsh on nearly all Ford products and if any of the three testers could be regarded as being in Holden's hip pocket it's him!! But he was ovewhelmingly positive!!!!!

If we have converted anti Ford sceptics such as him, and have them making glowing statements about BA, it must be a very, very impressive product indeed!!!!

As for Graham Smith........... "Graham, Graham, who the F$%# is Graham??"
Old 09-26-2002, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

I have absolutely no idea where Graham Smith is coming from with his comments. When I read the article this morning I thought, Has this guy actually driven the car or did they accidently give him an AU series 1 Forte?

What is his problem? If every other journo has written great things about the interior, how can this dickhead come up with this? I reckon to be fair they should also list what they currently drive. The guy must drive a 7 series or something cause he is just way off the mark.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Gover's comments. After reading his previous Ford bashing comments his views today are refreshing. Perhaps it was the first time he actually saw and driven one.

PS: Who the hell is B&Q in the Hi-Fi world?????
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 17:09   #7 (permalink)

B&O are Bang and Oulfson(?). They make top end home Hi-Fi. Didn't know that they did car stereo's though.

Ford Focus: The car that flies :s6:
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 17:27   #8 (permalink)
Kodak Moment

So Mr Graham smith; Holden would like to know, would you prefer it in a cheque or wired to you directly?????
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 18:32   #9 (permalink)
2nd car....XR6turbo

I hope holden payed him a lot of money to say those things, because their is no justice in what he had to say. I have now sat in a VY and BA (yesterday was a great day) and i can honestly say that the finish of the BA is awesome. The XT cabin is the best base model cabin ever. The holdens was just too plain, and nothing really grabbed your attention (apart from the shitty plastics used), but when u sit in the BA, everything grabs your attention, and the finish is simply awesome. Ford have done the job guys, and i am impressed.
Old 09-26-2002, 18:42   #10 (permalink)
Formerly lowercase :-)

Quote:
Originally posted by XR6turbo
I hope holden payed him a lot of money to say those things, because their is no justice in what he had to say. I have now sat in a VY and BA (yesterday was a great day) and i can honestly say that the finish of the BA is awesome. The XT cabin is the best base model cabin ever. The holdens was just too plain, and nothing really grabbed your attention (apart from the shitty plastics used), but when u sit in the BA, everything grabs your attention, and the finish is simply awesome. Ford have done the job guys, and i am impressed.
I agree with you there 100%, For the first 5 minutes sitting in one you are like a kid in a candy store. I couldnt believe just how nice the whole package was. And those seats!
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub