Here we go again: P Plater curfew - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2004, 23:31   #1 (permalink)
.au member

Here we go again: P Plater curfew

In today's Daily Telegraph there is a lovely completely biased writeup about the P plater curfew. It's complete with a great little sob story about all the people whose lives it supposedly could have saved (ignoring the fact that they were inexperienced, speeding in some cases and in one the guy was riding in the boot of the car), and of course now it'll be brought back up again - i'm just waiting to see that moron Ross Turnbull on the news shouting high and wide about how it should be brought in immediately.

Honestly, some people are missing the big picture here and it's just getting beyond a joke. Its as if the lawmakers and political commentators of this country (as well as anyone else who has something to say on this issue) think that after 9pm, P platers throw their brains out the window and try to kill each other or something.

So once again we see the typical solution that this country seems to think is the answer to everything - ban it. Get rid of it and hope it doesnt rear its head again.

And then what happens when a P plater dies at 7pm? Oh well, we'll just whack the curfew down to 5pm. Stiff s**t to anyone who might need to drive home from work or anything like that.

Why is it so blatantly obvious to everyone EXCEPT the people in the position to make the laws that ALL of the deaths on this country's roads are caused through a lack of driver training? Honestly, thinking that after a certain time people's brains turn off is just clutching at straws hoping to find a solution, which wont work anyway cos P plates are quite easily removed from a car.

Anyway, my point is that this is getting way out of hand - its totally unfeasable and unbelievable that anyone thinks that changing the rules after a certain time of day is practical, fair or even going to make a difference.

I'd urge everyone who has similar thoughts to do what i'm going to do - get in contact with your local member and RTA etc, and tell them how you feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2004, 01:23   #2 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

Re: Here we go again: P Plater curfew

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
ALL of the deaths on this country's roads are caused through a lack of driver training?
So all these people drink driving and acting like total dickheads, racing people, doing stupid speeds and weaving in and out heavy traffic is all because a lack of driver taining, i certainly dont think so.

maby there might be a few lives saved from better training, but it will not change the attitude of drivers and that is what kills.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:14   #3 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Driver stupidity is what kills, although, driver training plays a major part in it, since they're not good enough drivers to drive stupidly. The Econovan Maxi I get to drive may be damn slow, but the thing I like about it is that if some idiot hits me, the odds are always against them for more damage etc. Maybe we should all drive tanks? That should safen things up... please
Old 07-12-2004, 03:15   #4 (permalink)
SBR Supporter

Police should focus on getting IDIOTS off the road, not EVERYONE
Old 07-12-2004, 04:21   #5 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

It's all a media beat up.

Read the article, the State Government have already said that it won't happen so I wouldn't worry about it.

They said exactly the same thing about 12 years ago.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

What do they hope to achieve by all this? I heard it will help cut back on street drags.

Woah, hold the phone, street drags are ILLEGAL, yes? So by making it illegal for P platers to be out after 9PM, you're making them break the law. If the're street racing the're already breaking the law, so what's been gained?
psycho chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:34   #7 (permalink)
true blue thru & thru

so what about those P Platers with Jobs??

some people have their head so far up their own arse, they forget about what REALLY is going on, im 20 and still on my Ps and i dont do stupid shit, especially at night.

what is this world coming to when you cant even drive your car!
Old 07-12-2004, 04:41   #8 (permalink)
E-series mutantette

thats a load of bullpoo, they cant do that, i know a few people that are on their P's that dont finish work until the late hrs like midnight and way into the early morning, if theres a curfue for 9pm, what time in the morning are we allowed to start driving again?? IMO i dont think driver training has much to do with it, they teach you how to drive even though they dont teach you not to drink drive or anything, its not there job too. its the responsibilty of the driver to think ahead, its mainly common sense, those bloody idiots that wanna drink drive or do illegal stuff should be banned from the road and get straightened up, everyone else who does the right thing shouldnt be penalised for what someone else does!
thats just my two bobs worth
Sub on the way!
Future mods: Speed Holes!
Pursuit_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:45   #9 (permalink)
E-series mutantette

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
so what about those P Platers with Jobs??

some people have their head so far up their own arse, they forget about what REALLY is going on, im 20 and still on my Ps and i dont do stupid shit, especially at night.

what is this world coming to when you cant even drive your car!
agree im 18 and on my P's i dont do stupid things, i havent had my P's very long, that really doesnt mean sh!t at all. i used to work late at night and didnt get out of work til 9:30~10 and i was only 17. i dont think at late of a night you can endanger anyone elses life more then what you can at peak hour traffic
Sub on the way!
Future mods: Speed Holes!
Pursuit_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:06   #10 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

I do stupid things, when i know that no-one else or anything else is not involved.. I can deal with what my decisions turn out like for ME, but if i ever en-dangered anyone else, i wouldn't be able to live with that..

A curfew is stupid, and will never happen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub