Hey strife, hobbes, brendan & co., another LS1 rebuild - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2002, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
MadMax

Hey strife, hobbes, brendan & co., another LS1 rebuild

My brother in law (the holden head he is, god luv him)has problems with his new VX ss LS1..........Guess what?

here's a clue : 35,000 kms, huuuge oil usage and a clattering on cold starting.....

Booked in next month for a rebuild....sh!t - you dont believe it until it happens to you/ family. At least suttons are co - operating.

This is starting to snowball, I thought that this hype about the LS1 was just that, but noo more.

and here I was thinking that I was just being one eyed......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2002, 02:12   #2 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Make sure he gets rid of it before the warranty ends.It should be ok now. It is under warranty right?
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 02:44   #3 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

Obviously with 35,000 on the clock it's not a series II??

I am of the understanding that the series II (VX) motors have LS6 pistons and rings in them - to try and alleviate the oil consumption and slapping issues.

There seems to be a common factor with the LS1's that use oil - most have not been caned from new. Most guys I have spoken to who have caned their cars from new have had no problems. Mine started it's life being thrashed (and I mean thrashed) around Barbagallo by the cops. It's OK at the moment.

But hey, warranty is a wonderful thing. I guess Holden has a 3 year warranty for a reason hey.
Old 04-06-2002, 20:57   #4 (permalink)
Interloper from LS1.com

Mine had the ass flogged off it and still does, often do big smokeys out of the car park to impress/scare the Flight Attendants :s6:

Doesn't use oil (not that I ever check it), rattles a bit but.
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 01:17   #5 (permalink)

Hey guys. you might be able to answer this one for me.

I was talking to a HSV owner today at the track. We are going to be doing some business over the coming weeks together. His VX R8 is for sale. It uses oil but it drops back to four cylinders and they don't seem to know why. He was talking to holdens local techs and they claim to be steering people away from LS1 holdens.

I didn't get the impression he was bitter or anything, just worried about what his car was doing. On investigation he was told of the problems on the mainland and the recommendation from Holdens own. It was a very interesting conversation to say the least
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 03:15   #6 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brendan
Mine had the ass flogged off it and still does, often do big smokeys out of the car park to impress/scare the Flight Attendants :s6:

Doesn't use oil (not that I ever check it), rattles a bit but.
Sounds like good fun your havin there mate.

I've recently had a chat to a guy with a VX SS commodore 6 speed and he says that his car is drinking oil and piston slap on startup. He does drive it hard and has got relately low km's.

He wants holden to replace the engine.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:08   #7 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

Brendan are you sure the smoke is coming from the wheels mate?:s6:
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:18   #8 (permalink)
The Third Power

Quote:
Originally posted by HSE2
Hey guys. you might be able to answer this one for me.

I was talking to a HSV owner today at the track. We are going to be doing some business over the coming weeks together. His VX R8 is for sale. It uses oil but it drops back to four cylinders and they don't seem to know why. He was talking to holdens local techs and they claim to be steering people away from LS1 holdens.

I didn't get the impression he was bitter or anything, just worried about what his car was doing. On investigation he was told of the problems on the mainland and the recommendation from Holdens own. It was a very interesting conversation to say the least
steering people away sounds like a bit of BS
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:26   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by strife

steering people away sounds like a bit of BS
I tend to agree. He is a stock broker and its not really in his nature. He doesn't stuff about and won't be stuffed about. I believe someone has told him this. I think it came about by looking at getting another car to replace this one. The comments from my understanding came from a mechanic so you can take that anyway you want.
Do you know of LS1 dropping cylinders and then coming right by themselves?

And does 16 litres combined cycle sound right for this car. I thought it sounded a bit high, just comparing it against friends of the families cars. Claims to be driving for economy. Its only done 17k and he wants 55 for it. Dealers are killing him so he is trying to sell it himself
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 16:07   #10 (permalink)
MadMax

Quote:
Originally posted by ayman
Make sure he gets rid of it before the warranty ends.It should be ok now. It is under warranty right?
It is and I think he will after it's fixed.

Im talking him into buying a 2.0 sigma, same clatter and oil consumption for far less money outlayed.......hehe

Seriously, he likes the idea of an AV GT though - (slowly slowly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub