HFV6 a DUD ! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2004, 08:01   #1 (permalink)

HFV6 a DUD !

For those of you worried about Holden's HFV6, take a look at this one:

http://pub73.ezboard.com/fholdenhsva...picID=16.topic

Any opinions ?
JamesA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2004, 13:39   #2 (permalink)

Re: HFV6 a DUD !

I also find it interesting about how much of the assembly and production is actually done at holden. They still have enough time to address the HFV6 issues. However, looks like holden will be fighting a uphill battle.

I don't think Ford has to be very scared of the new V6, the updated I6 donk should be able to match it easy. Updating the I6 was a good move and I haven't heard many bad comments or problems with it and the Turbo version just blew everything away. I don't think a Supercharged or Turbo charged HFV6 will worry the I6 turbo much..

The I6 has so much potential still to be tapped, by both Ford and aftermarket. I think we will see it at the top of the tree in australian local 6's for a long time.
Phido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 14:50   #3 (permalink)

Looks like a bit of bother for the new V6 but then again its a totally new engine designed from the ground up. They should have the problems solved before we get it. Even the new Falcon 6 has some problems with it but im not gonna write it off as a dud. :-p
Danv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 15:14   #4 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Wow, snapping valves is a pretty disastrous thing to be happening (even only twice) on a motor designed to compete with one that's been on the market now for some time. As an Australian I do find it a shame that the Mexicans are now looking to Canada for their engines rather than Melbourne. How weird would it be to see the area of the plant where the cam line was meant to be!

Quote:
We where meant to have a cam line in the new plant but we ran out of money. If you ever go to the plant, between the crank and head line is a huge gap. Thats where the cam line SHOULD be.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 16:59   #5 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

geez i think they said the HFV6 was gonna arrive with a bang..

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 17:52   #6 (permalink)
RACE

It's a shame there are problems with it but I'm sure it will be sorted.
Old 03-05-2004, 19:15   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Don't believe everything you read. We don't know who that HoldenHFV8 character is, he could be a Holden insider or some 14 YO with a good imagination.
The Boss motors had issues too but they are hardly a dud.
From what I have heard, the HFV6 is quite a motor and will be good competition for the DOHC Barra.
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 19:45   #8 (permalink)

The export engines for the HFV6 are a different capacity to the 3.8L version for Australia ( it will be in 2.8, 3.6 and 3.8 capacities )

There will be a turbo version of the HFV6 ( not sure if it is single or twin ) to compete with the XR6T, no word on whether HSV will have a version but you'd expect them to. The turbo technology has been borrowed from sister company SAAB who they worked closely with, and I believe are taking the 2.8L for the Euro market. The 3.6L is for the NorAm market.
From my understanding, the blocks are being made in Mexico, as the new block plant that ION automotive are making is not even started construction ( Altona Melbourne ) and I think they made a few blocks at their established plant to ensure their casting process is ok as it is quite revolutionary. I believe they are all being imported to the new machining plant here at Fishermans bend until ION start production. So I am not sure where this guy gets his info??
It is also my understanding that they are all variable valve timing etc to keep pace with the barra182. The base power will be 190kW at this stage, but where the Holden will probably excel is the less weight it is likely to lug in comparison ( BAII will raise to the 190ish mark ).
But I can neither confirm or deny the engine failures, although I will be going to Holden soon so I will see if I can find out about it, and anything else, without being too nosy!!
Old 03-05-2004, 21:43   #9 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

I think you'll find the all new commodore will be as heavy as the BA if it is to have all the improvements they claim it to have. That is ofcourse provided they don't start making narrow bodied commodores again
Old 03-06-2004, 02:51   #10 (permalink)

Maybe the VE with the new platform, but I cant see the VZ gaining any substantial weight utilising the old platform, plus the block is alloy..
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub