Hi all, some advice please! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 04:38   #1 (permalink)

Hi all, some advice please!

Hello everyone on the forums! Im currently in australia and about to go on a road trip around the coast....... im very close to buying a Ford Econovan!

Now then, can you guys tell me if this van is suitable for long travels around aus? Are they reliable? Dont want to break down in the middle of nowhere! If it does break down are they easy/cheap to repair? Run ok on LPG? And how does it compare to the likes of a toyota hiace or a mitsubushi express?

Here is the spec of the van, its $5000 AUS dollars £3000!

Am i paying the right price? Im only 24 and dont know anything atall so any advice would be good, try not to worry me though!

Vehicle2001 FORD ECONOVAN JH
Transmission5 speed ManualBody4 door 3 seat VANDrive TypeRearEngine4 cylinder Unleaded Carburettor 2.0L (1998cc)

2 Speaker Stereo

Power SteeringAir ConditioningRadio CassetteAlloy WheelsRear Step BumperCargo BarrierRemote Fuel Lid ReleaseCargo MatRoof RacksCentral LockingTinted WindowsLpg (Dual Fuel)Tow Bar
argy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 05:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: Hi all, some advice please!

anybody? :D

cheers gary
Old 05-25-2010, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
canuck

If it's been maintained well (fluid colours shouldn't be BLACK, from engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid if equipped). If you can get previous maintenance records to be sure that the van has been well maintained that's a bonus. I'm not familiar with vehicles down under, but do a bit more research on it, check online reviews perhaps and most important - take it for a GOOD, as long as you can, test drive! Make sure it doesn't wallow over bad roads (sign it needs new shocks). A lot of creaking over bad roads can mean suspension bushings are worn (nothing to really worry about, it's just annoying to consistently hear them squeak). If it's a standard transmission try every gear, find a steep hill to climb and make sure there's no excessive vibrations felt and the stick feels secure when in gear. If automatic, similar things to try, make sure the shifter goes into each gear with a firm feel. Try the parking brake, check the tires for abnormal/uneven wear (could mean front end components are worn). Make sure all electronics work, from the exterior lights to anything power adjustable ... and so on.

Only you can decide if it's what you want and is a decent buy. I'm not familiar with down under prices either, so I can't compare value to know if it's good or bad. If you see any dents or dings you might be able to haggle the price a bit, or if anything seems out of place or doesn't operate as it should (power mirrors not working is a good example). If it suits what you need and you believe it to be a good price and the test drive shows nothing bad, then get it!

Cheers
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 23:26   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the in depth reply! I will certainly look out for these things when i go and see the van, hes taking it for its roadworthy check in the next day or so, and to pass it has to be half decent i guess!

Ummm just out of interest are ford econovan renowned to be a good reliable solid van?

thanks again, Gary
Old 05-26-2010, 01:12   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

The Ford econovan is a actually a rebadged Mazda Van..As it is a petrol model then yes they are quite reliable. Parts and servicing should be reasonable too. If it was a deisel then I would say be careful.
360ci has pointed out some things to look at. I'm afraid I can't say if that is a good price or not..though it does sound reasonable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub