High Mount Stop Light body removal - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2003, 22:57   #1 (permalink)
-= Member In Training =-

High Mount Stop Light body removal

Just wondering how to remove the High Mount (eye level?) stop light? You know, the one on the real parcel shelf, just inside the back window?

Whoever had my car before me must've replaced the globe once, and not screwed the bulb holder back into the light body correctly, as the heat of the bulb has over time melted it's way through the actual light body! And now, short of patching it up with duct tape, I've got no way of keeping the globe in there!

Obviously I need to take the carpet bit off of the parcel shelf. I've looked at the lamp housing from underneath, and it appears as though there are a couple of clips that need to be pushed together and then the housing should lift up and out, but I'll be stuffed if I can get it out. I even tried on a car at the wreckers, using signifigantly more that resonable force, and the thing still wouldn't budge. Please don't tell me I need to remove the back window to get it out?!!!

Has anyone been successful in removing this before? A lot of dirt seems to get stuck down in between the red lens and the rear window, so I'm sure someone has removed it to clean it?!

Cheers ....
ShaneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2003, 23:38   #2 (permalink)

My car came with the same problem. I am yet to fix it. The piece of tape the previous owner put there is doing its job.
PHoeNiX_EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 23:42   #3 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

two words Common Problem.

I often either make up a braket to hold it in, buy a spring type bulb holder or use blu tak. I then drill some vent holes and instead of putting 21w globes i use 5w globes. the bases are the same and you don't get that problem

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 21:33   #4 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Lightbulb

When I bought my car, its high-mount globe had melted, but the holder/thread was fine. I went to the trouble of pulling the carpet out as you are saying, and the carpet is an absolute BASTARD to try & put back in without any crinkles! Also, the woodchip/insulation stuff under the carpet had turned into flaky/caked dust, so it was time for Mr Vaccum again! When I pulled the box out after fiddling with the clips, I found that I couldn't get the box apart.

Instead of "removing" the bulb the easy way by half-screwing it out, smashing it by hitting its base with the back of my fist, & then vaccuming the bits out thru the screw-hole, I had pulled up the carpet & half-pulverised the decaying insulation before I found that it was a waste of time. I ended up smashing the bulb anyway!

It's amazing how even E-series Falcons can be maintained caveman style!

Oh, the carpet fitted fine back over the decimated insulation after several attempts to get rid of the creases/crinkles, but I burnt my @#%*ing knuckles on the back window SO many times it wasn't funny (hint: don't park the front half of your car in the shade if you're gonna work on the back half).

Gotta go to work now,

-Dave-

'91 EB Fairmont Ghia V8.
Pacemaker PH4000 extractors
Meaty semi-twin system
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 20:24   #5 (permalink)
-= Member In Training =-

Cheers, thanks' for the info all ... Hehehe, yeah, and I know all those burnt knuckles, Ghia_5L! That bloody hurts ....

Looks like it might be a duct tape (or similar) job. I was hoping for something neater, but it all sounds just too hard ... althought I like the idea of making up a bracket ... might have to put some thought into that ....

Cheers ...
ShaneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub