High spec XR8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2001, 15:27   #1 (permalink)

Question High spec XR8

This has come up again in the latest Motor Mag. Now I would like to see what the opinion is reguarding putting the T series stroker into an XR8. Now remember we don't know the numbers involved eg how many, special edition or even as an option. Also include in your answer the name this machine should be given.
What would you like to see happen and why!
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2001, 15:31   #2 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

If the T's are sitting around 260kw then the Hi spec XR8 should sit around 240kw. Sort of mid range between both. As for the name, XR8 Sprint has my 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th votes. Top name for a hi-po car IMHO.. :D
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 15:55   #3 (permalink)

Reading between the lines. What we may be talking about is a run out of excess motors??? But the way it comes across in motor mag they are talking about a limited number run of 260kw XR8s

My opinion is that it is a good thing and it should of happened a long time ago. However I do have some concerns. A while back there were rumours of a Craig Lowndes limited edition. Now I would not like to see this sort of thing happen so quick. There are other Ford racing drivers that deserve this in front of Craig.
Not sure you could go with the sprint name.
Then there is the question of "do you continue with the limited model or even introduce it as an option on future XR models"?
Old 06-07-2001, 16:31   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

If it's left like the ED, you could just do the limited run of 500-1000 cars or something and let folks who missed out drool like what happened with the ED Sprint.

I agree completly with what you're saying re lowndes falcon. He hasn't earned that privaledge with Ford yet. One option could be a Ford Racing XR8 Falcon and have all the Ford racers promote it. Makes everyone happy this way (I hope).. :D
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 16:48   #5 (permalink)
THE DOCTOR

HSE2 you have hit the nail on the head. there are and still is a lot of OEM stock still sitting on shelves, some 5.0s (165-175kw) dating back to 1995-6. I put a suggestion to Ford that these could be used as a base for strokers. If and when we get to Mel and get the op to have a look at the stores etc, you will see what I mean.

there is also a mountain of base models from 1999 (XR's) sitting in paddocks etc that resulted from dealers not meeting there sales quota's. this was also suggested as a use for perhaps a GT model. there is in my opinion enough stock on the shelves to build such a vehicle, even in limited production. maybe a run of a thousand. (GT only). this thing does'nt have to be flash, in terms of comfort, just a base model with grunt.
Old 06-07-2001, 17:06   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I'd like to know where Ford are storing 1999 Falcons???? I haven't seen any in my travels. Mid 2000 is the oldest I've seen.

The high level XR8 should be called Sprint. people already understand the name so it would make sense.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 17:42   #7 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

Smile

AS long as it goes hard and handles well Sprint sounds good to me. :D
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 18:05   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
I'd like to know where Ford are storing 1999 Falcons???? I haven't seen any in my travels. Mid 2000 is the oldest I've seen.

The high level XR8 should be called Sprint. people already understand the name so it would make sense.
The people that really know what the sprint is, know that the car is special because the motor is the GT motor with improvements.

To call an Au model sprint just doesn't have the same meaning to me. The motor is not from a GT rather just a T series. Shouldn't the sprint be put to rest and be remembered for what it was. You also have to remember that the GT will most likely return to be a full time model

I also don't think you can offer this motor as an option. For one reason HSV learnt this with the ss model. You end up eating into the top line performance models.
On the other hand I think there will always be people that don't want the T series type cars and want an XR that is special.
Personally even when the new V8 arrives and the old stock has gone, I would like to see a new tradition start and continue.
If the Xr is to continue as the public face of Ford Motor sport in Aust, then I would like to see it linked to the teams. I don't see a problem with each of the Ford teams having their name to a set limit of cars say 200 each. Each team, something a little different to the next. But I would only do it on the model runs, every two years
Old 06-07-2001, 18:21   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I didn't think the ED Sprint was THAT special. It had a similar engine to the GT but it was still only 192kW or something like that wasn't it? The model range now is substantially different and T-Series is now the next level above XR so that is where the engine should come from - not GT. The main reason is GT must be at least 300kW, no less! That's way too much for XR market level.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 18:33   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
I didn't think the ED Sprint was THAT special. It had a similar engine to the GT but it was still only 192kW or something like that wasn't it? The model range now is substantially different and T-Series is now the next level above XR so that is where the engine should come from - not GT. The main reason is GT must be at least 300kW, no less! That's way too much for XR market level.
You miss the point. The sprint special or not was the name given to a car back in the ED model range. Its claim to fame is the fact that it had a GT engine and was a limited edition. For the reasons you just stated, you couldn't call an AU model sprint because it has no meaning or relevance to the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub