History of the Windsor motor... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2001, 03:50   #1 (permalink)
Jaguar X-Type

History of the Windsor motor...

Being a relatively new Ford convert.... I'm wondering when I get my induction and information pack.... I keep checking the mail and it nothing has arrived ;p

Anyone got any nice links on the history of the Windsor motor ? With cut-aways... lots of tech talk about changes/improvements made over time, the evolution of the motor ?
SnaggS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2001, 06:37   #2 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

I dont know of any sites (thats not to say there isnt any) that has all of the Windsor history, but there is a book you can get from some Hi-Po shops called 'Rebuilding your Ford V8' or something like that. It is a yellow cover soft cover book. It lists the introduction dates for the various Windsor sizes and a few of the more unusual Ford V8s like the Mercury Maurauder engines, the MEL series and the old "Y" block motors. And of course it has info and rebuilding tips on most other OHV Iron block Ford V8s.

The Windsor sizes were as follows:

221 CI (early)
255 CI (not a production engine - sleeved down 260 for racing)
260CI
289CI
302CI - 4.9/5.0L
351CI

Im sure if you did a search you would come up with something.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:37   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

try one of the performance shops for books .. somewhere I have one with the history of them from day one..
found it.. Ford Performance by Pat Ganahl .. oneof the SA design books .. is only the US and doesnt get to the EFI motors.
Also has 335, 385 (cleveland and 429-460 BB ) series engines and the early big blocks
xacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 07:03   #4 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

Thumbs up

Thats the one. It has all of the wierd and wicked V8s in it, like the FE series (332,352,390 etc) and the 427 cammer. It was most valuable to me when I started screwing around rebuilding my Windy when I was on the dole and on my P's :D

I screwed up when I replaced the cam tho, coz I used a 351W cam instead of a 302 one, and the firing orders are different. When I fired it for the first time, you should have seen the fireworks that came out of the carby throats!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub