ho do i make Stock AU look better?not alot of$$$ - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2003, 23:49   #1 (permalink)

ho do i make Stock AU look better?not alot of$$$

hey, i was wondering anyone know any cheap and effective ways to make my stock AU look better..its got shitty hub caps on it..im saving for AUII XR8 rims!!im going to lower sometime soon..ohh anyone know.should i wait till i get wheels to i lower or doesnt matter..i will alsso be gettin exhaust and sound system soon..prob just muffler rather then full exhaust..!!! all these mods that why i dont have $$$ to spend..!!!
cheers!
AUGASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 00:25   #2 (permalink)
Oversized Ben

Re: ho do i make Stock AU look better?not alot of$$$

there are alot of things you can do to your car. take alook around the gallery and look at different cars. if you see something you like and think that it will look tasteful...do it. i think it is abit hard for me to tell you what to do cause everyone has different ideas on whats good and whats not.

most things you can do yourself or mostly yourself (depending on your tools and ability), making it that bit cheap plus you are always learning then aswell.

you have got a good list of things to start with there. not only will those things make the car look that bit better they will also change the way the car rides and behaves on the road.

doesn't really matter if you do rims first or later. but if you decide to go wide (wide rims) then it may pay so you can see just how low you can go before you hit problems.

hope that helps

ben
Old 10-05-2003, 00:46   #3 (permalink)

thanx for ur help
Old 10-05-2003, 02:46   #4 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

For look's,lower it and add the Tickford rim's like you have mentioned and spend a lot of time keeping it clean, the AU's allway's look good with Tickford rim's and lowered,what colour is your's.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 04:11   #5 (permalink)

mine is White! pretty boring but its ok!! im happy wit her!! wat suspention..again i want good but not want to spend alot of $$$ so FE2 is out of question..and is it worth spending more and getting shocks..or just springs?? like superlows?? anyone know wats a good price for second hand set of AU II Xr8 rims?? in good condition?!?
Old 10-05-2003, 04:20   #6 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Have you looked in the for sale section there were a couple set's of AU II XR rim's for sale.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 08:32   #7 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

FE2 is holden suspension - not Ford.

You get nothing for nothing, so if you want to lower your car and still reatin a good ride, then you will need springs and shocks (especially if you want superlows).

AU2 XR rims with good rubber should be around $1000+. No rubber and you're looking at around $800 (give or take).

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 16:30   #8 (permalink)

I assume your car is an AU Forte, here's my suggestions as you get the bucks together.

Before you do anything get your insurance company straighned out, make sure they'll cover these mods.

*If it's a series 1 Forte with the fan grille then get the grille painted the same colour as the body. It's a big improvement.
*Get an XR type spoiler for the back. AU sedans just have to have it, they look really poxy without it.
*Get it lowered. Ask the suspension joint to lower it to XR ride height. Any lower than that and you may run into problems with kerbs and tyres fouling on the guards.
*Get a set of XR 17" rims. Series 1 or 2 or even BA rims, they're all good. Please don't tightarse too much on the tyres and run remoulds!!!

Leave it at that. They go well enough standard and it'll be a decent looking car so just keep it maintained. Don't throw any more money at it or it'll just turn into a money pit. Besides, I'd imagine you'll be looking to upgrade in a few years and you'll never get the money back you spent.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 17:50   #9 (permalink)

DO NOT get an XR spoiler, or any spoiler for the back. AU sedans dont "just have" to have it, nor does any car.
AU XR's still sit like 4WD's, so if your only prepared to lower it this much dont even bother spending a cent on the car cause it will never look good.
IMO - at a standard ride height, AU's look terrible, but once dumped they're one of the most sleek, sporty looking 4 door sedans I've ever seen - provided you dont fit any spoilers.
Other things to think about if you have the cash is painting the body side moulds, and fitting clear side and read indicator lenses
And of course remove any unnecessary stuff like mudflaps or pinstripes.
Most importantly though - make sure it sits LOW!
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 20:13   #10 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

The AUI 17" XR rims look better on non XR's, especially if it's a Fairmont, or so I reckon And without a bodykit, XR ride height is still too high, so go another inch(just don't put anyone in the back), I've seen it done, even on an AUI Forte and you'd be surprised how good it looks!

There are heaps of other things, big and small that you can do but these two like everyone else has said will do the main job!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub