Holden adventra driveline revealed. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2003, 23:13   #1 (permalink)

Holden adventra driveline revealed.

as i posted at ls1, thought you guys might wont to know abou what goes up against the territory.

Holden Adventra cross-overís driveline secrets are revealed

By BRUCE NEWTON 3 September 2003

HOLDEN has revealed technical details of the electronic traction control-based all-wheel drive system that will underpin a swathe of new vehicles, starting with the Adventra cross-over wagon that goes on sale on October 17.

Called Cross Trac, the system has taken more than three years and $50 million to develop, while the total program cost of the Adventra and the Cross8 four-wheel drive Crewman that follows soon after it, is $125 million.

Adventra will beat Ford Australiaís first cross-over, the Territory, to market by around nine months. The $500 million project is tipped to have a mechanical AWD system.

Cross Trac has been designed to underpin performance-oriented road cars as well as cross-overs and commercial vehicles.

Some of the technology will also apply to locally-built rear-wheel drive Holdens.

Cross Trac software is based on a system developed for the General Motors Hummer H2 program and has been modified for use in Australia.

It is a permanent system which transfers torque 62 per cent to the rear wheels and 38 per cent to the front wheels. It does not include low range.

New hardware includes an adaptor housing, three-gear transfer case, front propshaft, front driveshafts and front and centre open diffs. Of these new bits, only the adaptor housing is not manufactured by Holden.

The engine cradle, beefier front suspension lower control arms, larger front brake rotors and new brake pads, oil pan and internal plumbing and rear propshaft are all new as well.

Modifications have been made to the steering rack with revised valving, while the rear axle crossmember has been substantially revised.

For the moment, Cross Trac is combined only with the 5.7-litre Gen III V8 engine and 460LE GM automatic transmission. It will be made available with the new HFV6 engine after it comes on line next year.

Cross Trac employs Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) software to control wheelspin under acceleration and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), that works in conjunction with the ABS and Cornering Braking Control (CBC) to provide maximum braking force.

Holden says it had the family driver in mind when it came to designing Adventra, eschewing true mountain goat ability so that it drove in a very similar fashion to the rear-wheel drive Commodore wagon it is based on.

"It was to be an integrated V8 vehicle that would operate seamlessly, as far as the driver was concerned, in a very predictable and controlled manner," said Cross Trac engineering program manager Grant Jamieson.

"The mechanical bias we therefore selected to produce the required definitive Holden vehicle character was rear-wheel drive, power oversteer."

Mr Jamieson revealed the Adventra has a minimum 205mm ground clearance and minimum 1940kg kerb weight. An extra 20mm suspension travel has been added at the front and 16mm at the rear compared to the standard wagon.

Local tuning 'an advantage'
ADVENTRA and the Cross Trac system were compared against a number of European all-wheel drive wagons, including the BMW X5 and Audi Allroad, and Holden argues that local software tuning gives its product a distinct advantage.

"The ingenuity of the Cross Trac system is in the detail, particularly in the way it has been calibrated to cope with deformable road surfaces, such as sand, gravel and loose dirt, that are typically encountered in Australia," Mr Jamieson said.

"Sixty-five per cent of our roads are unmade, whereas in Europe theyíre overwhelmingly bitumen and often wet and icy. Cars react very differently on dirt-based tracks than they do on hard, wet, surfaces."

Unlike most AWD systems, Cross Trac does not cut engine output when wheel slip is encountered, enabling it to run full engine torque when needed, such as in sand.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...256D96000BD2ED
corbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2003, 00:39   #2 (permalink)
Rail Rider

Re: Holden adventra driveline revealed.

I see. It's only a passive AWD.

Can't see it going off road much then.
Old 09-03-2003, 00:41   #3 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbz
Cross Trac is combined only with the 5.7-litre Gen III V8 engine and 460LE GM automatic transmission. [/url]
Is it just me or is Holden getting real boring? All they do is put a Gen III every car they release now days.....

Get some variety for christ's sake
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 00:55   #4 (permalink)

Re: Re: Holden adventra driveline revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
Is it just me or is Holden getting real boring? All they do is put a Gen III every car they release now days.....

Get some variety for christ's sake
very next sentence "It will be made available with the new HFV6 engine after it comes on line next year." there would be absolutly no point engineering the car to take the old v6 engine for one year.
corbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 00:55   #5 (permalink)

. To me it reads as if the system is the same (or similar) to the recently superseded Range Rover / Discovery 4wd technology , which Rover has once again upgraded by the inclusion of a centre diff lock and a more conventional 4wd system .
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 05:26   #6 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

OMG!! 1940kg!!! Minimum!!! You put one bloke in and some fuel and you got a 2 tonne beast!! The gen3 is gonna hate pulling that!!

I had a customer in work the other day with a VX2 with edit and zorst and he was complaining that out 8x5 box trailer was too heavy and he could feel its imense weight - all 370kgs of it

I don't like this cars chances of driving through sand or up a steep hill grade, and its an auto! This thing is going to be a pig....
Old 09-03-2003, 08:25   #7 (permalink)

Re: Re: Re: Holden adventra driveline revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbz
very next sentence "It will be made available with the new HFV6 engine after it comes on line next year." there would be absolutly no point engineering the car to take the old v6 engine for one year.
Plus your Granny in her motorised scooter would overtake you in your Ecotec 150+kW V6 AWD Adventra if they had of built the thing!
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 23:45   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94ED_Fairmont
I had a customer in work the other day with a VX2 with edit and zorst and he was complaining that out 8x5 box trailer was too heavy and he could feel its imense weight - all 370kgs of it
Was it an SS manual?
Old 09-04-2003, 00:46   #9 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

The weight is a bit of a draw back but I reckon a V8 AWD is very appealing and Holden is doing a good thing here.
I would be very keen to see Ford do an AWD V8 Falcon.The thought of all that power in a performance Falcon coupled with AWD grip and handling will be hard to beat.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:06   #10 (permalink)
Crazed Cone Chaser

Quote:
An extra 20mm suspension travel has been added at the front and 16mm at the rear compared to the standard wagon
Stop the press.

what an offroad vehicle!![/sarcasm]

Seriously though, reading the article it seems to me that they are saying a lot without really saying anything at all. A lot of hype words an techno jargon, to make themselves seem more special than they are

DILLIGAF: a subsiduary of the DGAF NOP group of companies.
BSR Member - 'Blanky' 'ConeKiller'

Go Here for My Garage Sale

Last edited by MADXF; 09-04-2003 at 01:08.
MADXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub