Holden to release LS1 powered Jackeroo! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2002, 23:02   #1 (permalink)

eek Holden to release LS1 powered Jackeroo!

Article from drive.com.au

Holden will unveil a new off-road concept car based on its ageing Jackaroo four-wheel-drive at this week's National 4X4 Show, which runs from today until Sunday evening at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre.
Called the Jack 8, the tough-looking 4WD substitutes the Jackaroo's usual V6 and diesel powerplants for a breathed-on 255kW version of the 5.7-litre "Gen III" V8 that normally sees service in the company's Commodore line-up.

But that's just the start. The roof has been given the flick to make way for an enveloping roll cage, and the back doors have been removed and the fronts stretched 200mm to compensate. The body has also been raised 50mm above the chassis in order to fit the 16-inch wheels and their giant "Baja Claw" tyres.

Inside, the Jack 8 has seats from the Monaro, a Momo steering wheel, a powerful MP3-compatible stereo and a multi-function GPS system.

Holden has no plans to build the Jack 8 in production form. Instead, it will appear at off-road shows around Australia to keep potential buyers aware that the company is expanding its frontiers in the lucrative 4WD market – a process that started with the launch of the tiny Cruze this year and will build pace with the release of the Commodore-based Cross 8 ute, as well as a "crossover" 4WD wagon built from the same platform, next year.

Edit: More info and pics at http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...&threadid=4966

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2002, 00:30   #2 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

i highly doubt there will be a gen III powered jackeroo in the near future....ford did the same kinda thing with that jacked up yellow AU ute (cant remember what it was called) Bugger or something liek that..ive only ever seen 1 one the road.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 00:52   #3 (permalink)
Territory TS - AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by FoMoCo4eva
....ford did the same kinda thing with that jacked up yellow AU ute (cant remember what it was called) Bugger or something .....
That would be the Mongrel™.

Check out the Uteman site; www.uteman.com.au

This shot taken before the suspension was lifted.
Old 10-03-2002, 03:40   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

The articles say that there are no plans to put the Jackeroo in production.

Silly Holden, they should have done this years ago when they were building their own 5.0 V8. Would have done wonders for the car's image.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 06:17   #5 (permalink)

Just bring the Tahoe or Suburban back in to Australia...oh well read my oppinion on Holden dealers, they would have to change b4 i gave them money for anything!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 08:17   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated M. Wilson Hater

Becuase the Suburban was a huge hit. I have seen more 'Hummers' than those oversized brutes. Waste of time. Silly Holden people thought it would be a hit.....pffffft!!

Jeff Grech: "Don't worry about it Mark. We'll get 'em next year."

You can count on it.
MaverickLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 16:13   #7 (permalink)

I can't see the purpose of creating one-off 'concept cars' like this Jack 8 and the Mongrel and the R5 if the relevant manufacturers have no intention of ever putting them into production. It would seem like a waste of money and resources that would be better of being used for R&D on production vehicles. Can anybody please explain the reasoning behind it?

____o00o_=^..^=_o00o____
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 17:44   #8 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

I believe it's to get peoples reaction to not only the whole car, but to parts of it to. For example while touring the FDC during the raid, we saw the Sandfire Ute which had yellow inserts in the steering wheel, and Flicky explained that this was the first time it had been done. The reaction must have been positive, look at how many falcon models have optional colour keyed steering wheels.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 17:47   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by MaverickLS1
Becuase the Suburban was a huge hit. I have seen more 'Hummers' than those oversized brutes. Waste of time. Silly Holden people thought it would be a hit.....pffffft!!
Yes it didn't help when they tried to bring in a 10 yr old model that was just about to be replaced by an all-new model in the States. Dodge, are you listening too? (Viper) Also, two dealerships per state isn't asking for success.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 20:36   #10 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Quote:
Originally posted by Falchoon
I can't see the purpose of creating one-off 'concept cars' like this Jack 8 and the Mongrel and the R5 if the relevant manufacturers have no intention of ever putting them into production. It would seem like a waste of money and resources that would be better of being used for R&D on production vehicles. Can anybody please explain the reasoning behind it?
In addition to gaguing reaction, these models act as 'hero' cars. Even if the 350 kW HSV Maloo HTRE never went into production, it would certainly have renewed interest in HSV's production models. The show cars can build up street cred.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub