Holden sees red over changing lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2002, 19:15   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Holden sees red over changing lights

Holden Commodore drivers are joining the Monaro craze by dressing up their sedans with parts designed exclusively for the two-door – but Holden would rather they didn't.
Holden's head of design and father of the Monaro, Michael Simcoe, says enthusiast owners who fit the Monaro's unique headlights and tail-lights to their sedans are "watering down the image" of the $60,000 coupe.

"The more Commodores there are out there, the more people want to make them unique," he said.

To rein in production costs, Holden designed the Monaro lights to fit in the same apertures as those on the Commodore sedan. Savvy owners have wasted no time replacing their original lights with those from the flagship model.

"I'm disappointed it's happening so quickly after the Monaro went on sale but we can't stop people from doing it," Simcoe said. "Ultimately, the car owner has the final say on how the car looks."

Holden says it has distributed spare Monaro headlights, tail-lights and bumpers to its dealers but does not know how many have been sold to non-Monaro owners.

A Monaro headlight is $295 compared with $187 for the base Commodore but that is still relatively cheap for a headlight. The Monaro's front bumper is $90 dearer and the tail-light is $5 cheaper.

"We're not going to charge artificially more for Monaro parts because that's not fair on our Monaro customers," said Holden's marketing manager for large cars, John Elsworth. "It's not feasible to get proof of ownership of every request for a Monaro part."

Justin Thompson, the 26-year-old designer who spent a year working on the Monaro's intricately detailed lights, said: "I guess it's a compliment to the design, but as a designer you prefer to see things how you designed them originally, rather than mixed and matched between different models."
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2002, 19:22   #2 (permalink)

confused

Now that is funny! Never seemed to bother them when people dressed up an exec to look like an SS. I guess that is only a $50000 car
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 19:23   #3 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Serves them right! With Ford the AUIII clear side indicators with the orange bulb don't fit into the AUI/AUII hole. Clever sods - had to get AUII Fairmont ones.
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 19:27   #4 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

Maybe they would prefer it if people were not buying their cars at all, yeah I think not.
Anyway whats the problem, people change their wheels all the time, I've seen plenty of non GTS commodes with GTS wheels.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 19:28   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

How long until holden bring out the 4 door monaro and they did in the 1970's ? And now gm own part of Subaru who else can imagine a WRX rebadged as a GTR Torana ? Man ,i hope not !!!
Old 03-14-2002, 19:31   #6 (permalink)
Cheerful Idiot

Hang on, wouldn't a 4 door Monaro look exactly the same as a Commodore?

Hehehehe... Commodore need more imagination/take more risks - just look at the new one!
Ford Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 19:42   #7 (permalink)
I want a turtle!

Do you see ford or tickford releasing press statements saying they dont want people to put XR fronts on non XR's ???

thats sad... they should have better things to do with there time and money (like fixing the MANY faults with the LS1's)
Old 03-14-2002, 19:43   #8 (permalink)

Just on the monaro, there seems to be plenty of them sitting in dealerships around the state. I thought there was a waiting list on these cars!
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 19:46   #9 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

Heres an interesting fact on the Monaro.
Out of the first batch of 300 orders-
299 CV8
1 CV6

Wouldn't you feel like a loser if you were the lone CV6 person.
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 19:54   #10 (permalink)
Leafspring Owners Club

As we are on the topic of putting upmarket bits on base model cars, how much would the XR front lights and bumper cost?

I am thinking about buying a AU Ute and was thinking about putting an XR front on it.

I gather it could be a bit pricy but thought I would ask anyway.
cortinagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub