Holden weight BS continues, worsens?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2003, 16:54   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Thumbs down Holden weight BS continues, worsens??

I was just flicking through the latest Motor mag, and noticed that the weight of a VYII calais V8 is 1666kg. But when I pull out an old Wheels mag, I see a VY calais V8 (albeit with small body kit and 18in mags) is 1710kg.

Now I thought Holden had been pulled up with with the VY for quoting 'dry" figures, against industry, and GMH tradition. But it seems nothing has changed, unless holden has managed to shave 44kg after adding about 5L of oil and half a tank of fuel. Smells fishy to me.

Or am I making a fuss over a typo, ie the correct weight is 1766kg?
HO HO HO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2003, 20:22   #2 (permalink)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Until the motoring magazines get off their backsides and properly test the weights(wet) of the Holden products then we will know for sure. And not just part of a road test but as a investigative article in it's own right.

I have my doubts that they are that much lighter than the Falcon's, certainly not what Holden make out the difference to be.

Have a look at the Grange weight, heavier than the Fairlane!
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 00:26   #3 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

Re: Holden weight BS continues, worsens??

Yes but you must ask yourself is this a Holden typo or motor mag typo mistake,motor journolist are known to be like politician's in my book.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 20:14   #4 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

I agree, let's see some cars on a weighbridge. End of argument that way. They have done it with dyno's, so why not? Would be cheaper & easier.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 22:28   #5 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

I can't name the person but my mate has informed me that when Holden supplies Motor or Wheels mag with their cars they hardly have any fuel in them and they dont have a spare tyre in the boot to reduce the wait .
Old 08-31-2003, 22:51   #6 (permalink)

I know I must have sounded cheesed off a bit before, but have a look at the Holden Commodore 0-100 km/h times; they never really seem to be that greater diff' compared to the Falcon's!

And the rumours about them lightening up the weights on the Commode's seem to be true, I mean they don't even have A/C standard and they were weighing the cars without it because it was an option, sort of got them out of having to add it in because A/C just gets optioned...but only in 94% of of all Commodores sold!

Ya gotta wonder about a company that does this, in regards to any credibility they thought they had with 'Joe Public', it's almost a corporate delusional way to carry on business wise.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 00:36   #7 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

Vehicle weight specs have a major impact on "assumed" fuel consumpton figures, ie a car weighing x kg uses 13lphk, while a car weighing y kg uses 14lphk.

What holden do is rate their cars as low as possible so as to have a lower fuel economy rating than the Falcon, when in reality their is little or no difference.

It's a great scam really, cause the public eat it up and beleive the Holden propaganda, then they purchase their super fuel efficient car and find it is not as they seem.

I feel it is only a matter of time before the public really lash out at Holden, and we see another financial debacle the likes of that seen in the 80"s

The question, how long can a company treat it's customers like morons before they ralise it's bad business, obviously Holden either dont care or don't beleive it to be a problem
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 01:20   #8 (permalink)

Re: Re: Holden weight BS continues, worsens??

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Yes but you must ask yourself is this a Holden typo or motor mag typo mistake,motor journolist are known to be like politician's in my book.

Probably the only sensible post here !! Listed weights are just that - listed weights . There is so much variation only *any* tested car and as Galaxy states journos are exactly world renowned for accuracy . Of all the cars i've owned over the years i don't think any have been the weight "listed " on my rego papers.
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:53   #9 (permalink)
3FB Food Press

Seems like a good marketing tool for Ford. Put the equivalent Commodore over a weighbridge.

"Falcon XT' major competitor in the local car industry is quoted as weighing ****. When tested on an independant weighbridge we found*****. This will in turn have a detrimental effect on their claimed fuel economy figures."

Or words to that effect.
Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 04:30   #10 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Holden are just getting arrogant and they think they can do what they want because they have sold so many cars the last few years, but it will bite them in the arse soon enough. Seems like people are turned off by the arrogance and are turning to the underdog (Ford). Saying stuff like the Adventra is the only Australian designed and built AWD is just stupid. Holden= Number 1 for BS.
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub