Holden will stop production of Monaro for 2 years - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2003, 00:30   #1 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Holden will stop production of Monaro for 2 years

Today i spoke to my mate from Holden regarding the latest rumour about Holden releasing an all-new Commodore in September '03 because of the BA and he said it was not true.

Anyway he said that Holden will stop production of the Monaro (He didn't tell me the reason why) at the end of this year and will resume in 2005/6 with an all new model including a Monaro Convertible.
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2003, 00:35   #2 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

I'm interested to know how they could stop production of the Monaro, but continue to supply GTO's to America....

Something about that doesn't add up..
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 00:41   #3 (permalink)
The Third Power

I think they always said it was going to be a limited run.

would be good in holding a little value in the car, thats the problem with cars coming out nearly every 12 months
strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 00:48   #4 (permalink)
aka "Mr BURNOUTworld"

I couldn't have asked for anything more The less of them I see on the road the better for my sanity (How could they hype something up that bad and succeed?) but yes, the better for their resale value - as I'm sure alot of them will be sold off with the XR6-T and XR8 out... But I agree with fordfan351, how are they going to be able to supply USA with Monaro's *cough* I mean Pontiacs, when they aren't making any? Or is it they are simply cutting of production for Australia - continuing to make them for overseas only.
Old 01-16-2003, 00:51   #5 (permalink)
Hawthorn Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by fordfan351
I'm interested to know how they could stop production of the Monaro, but continue to supply GTO's to America....
Maybe they are building cars for America only because they can't build enough cars?
Old 01-16-2003, 00:53   #6 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

There would be riots if they sold Monaro's in America but not Australia...

I mean I would be laughing...at Holden's stupidity, but I don't think the Holden fans out there would be overly impressed.

Not too mention, with the imminent arrival of the GT, Holden would lose it's rival in the rebirth of the muscle car wars.
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 00:53   #7 (permalink)
BSR Field Agent

Re: Holden will stop production of Monaro for 2 years

[QUOTE]Originally posted by #00 Lowndes
Anyway he said that Holden will stop production of the Monaro (He didn't tell me the reason why) at the end of this year and will resume in 2005/6 with an all new model including a Monaro Convertible. [/QUOTE

Very strange as the Monaro II CV8 and CV6 is due for release in March 03 and has had very few changes.(I have pictures of the new vehicles exterior and interior).

Also the production of Monaro vehicles for the US market, GTO Pontiac's will continue for some time yet.

Nipper....
Nipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:26   #8 (permalink)
BrightEyes

Makes sense - Holden is a full-on American company - they aren't interested in Australia in isolation. They are thinking global, and figure they can move more GTOs in the good ol' homeland at higher profits than selling Monaros in Oz. So it seems the entire Monaro production will be exported for a couple of years. This also gives them export credits to offset the costs of their crate engines bought in from overseas.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:34   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by BrightEyes
Makes sense - Holden is a full-on American company - This also gives them export credits to offset the costs of their crate engines bought in from overseas.
Makes you feel lucky that the BA has no componantry, design or styling elements borrowed from Ford's global partners, does it? LOL
Old 01-16-2003, 02:35   #10 (permalink)
disarm you with a smile

er.. i dont know why holden would be focusing on an american market when they're an australian company, and GM have numerous companies already running in the states.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub