home-grown Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2001, 18:47   #1 (permalink)

home-grown Falcon

From the letters section of the herald sun (10-8-2001):

Quote:

Falcon is true-blueHANK Tarrant (Cars Guide, August 3) says Holden is the only true-blue company.

I would define an Australian car as one whose body shell, motor engine and parts are fully designed, tested, engineered and constructed within the Australian industry.

The only car in Australia that comes close to that criteria is the Ford Falcon, which has been designed, tested, and fully manufactured here.

Its 4.0-litre in-line overhead camshaft motor was developed in Geelong and renowned overseas companies such as Mercedes Benz and BMW have adopted the design.

In Australia, Holden makes the Commodore, Berlina, Calais and Statesman/ Caprice, which are all variants of one platform base, Opel Omega, derived in Germany.

The engines that drive these vehicles -- 3.8-litre V6 Ecotec Standard/ Supercharged and the 5.7-litre Gen III V8 -- engine management system and their clunky four-speed automatic transmission are designed, tested, and manufactured in the US. They are assembled in Fishermens Bend and attached to vehicles in Elizabeth, South Australia.

While it does export vehicles (about 30,000 a year), Holden also has one of the largest ranges of imported vehicles.

Holden is a fully owned subsidiary of General Motors Corporation (GMC) in Michigan, and has a German, Peter Hanenberger, as chairman and MD heading its Australian operations. Ford Australia is fully owned subsidiary of Ford Motor Company in Michigan and has an Australian managing director, Geoff Polites. Australian Jac Nasser, the former head of Ford Australia, is head of global operations.

It's sad that Ford Australia is heading down the same path as Holden, where it has begun to import favourites such as the Mustang.

Let's hope the home-grown Falcon remains truly Australian, and not a " rebadged" fake like the Commodore. And why not manufacture and build the Mustang locally? They would be a lot cheaper, and a winner on the Australian market.

James Andis

Templestowe, Victoria
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2001, 19:25   #2 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Good article there Chris. Good to see people backing the local designs and the Falcon. All i hope is they see the light of not globalising models.
Thats why i put that Inline 6 poll/petition a while back on ford forums, clearly we don't need a V6 from else where.
Ford are you reading my signiture. Don't get axe the 4.0 Inline 6. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 19:47   #3 (permalink)
Rail Rider

I know why Holden proclaims they are the only all Australian car. Because Holden know that the other car companies are not going to waste time in an advertising war. So they say what ever they want and get away with it. The sad part is people actually fall for this crap.

I hope the NEW Falcon line up come in next year and blows Holden some where near siberia!
Old 08-09-2001, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Nothing like the truth is there.. Like you guys, I hope the Falcon stays as Australian as it is now.
Imagine rebadging a Taurus hybrid for local sales. I reckon you'd only have three players in the market instead of four. Ford could kiss Oz goodbye if they stopped production of the Falcon I reckon..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 20:29   #5 (permalink)
Shhh, we're hunting Lions

It comes down to sales, if the Australian people aren't buying a certain car then in my opinion they can't whinge if the car is discontinued.
In the words of a pollie "So my fellow Australians get off your bums and go and buy a Falcon NOW!".
Adam W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2001, 23:19   #6 (permalink)
GTHO4

I hope we have an Aussie built Falcon for a long time it will keep a lot of people employed and will probably be cheaper than having one imported since the Aussie dollar is weak.
Besides the yanks can't build a decent car. :D
Old 08-13-2001, 06:08   #7 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

howcome your in Sydney and got the article Aussie Falcon? I ddint think that the Herald sun went to sydney becasue last time I was there they had a paper called the sun-herald.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 06:33   #8 (permalink)
Australian Torana Member

Sorry champ, but if my memory serves me correctly (although it often doesn't :D ) the only part that the Commodore has in common with the Opel is the door handles. To call the car a "fake" is unjust. The car is far from being a "rebadged" Opel as you suggest. Holden (although a GM owned company) was born in Australia and will always be Australian at heart, and are (as you aknowledge) exporting many thousands of Aussie built cars to the rest of the world. The Yanks nearly creamed themselves when they saw the Commodore, and there's petitions being started left right and centre to convince GM to import them rebadged as Chevs.
LC GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 07:56   #9 (permalink)
Ford Member

The current commodore as well as previous models, all off them infact have a whole lot in common with the Opel Omegas of the same model!!

I was in europe on holiday for 5 weeks last month and i saw the last model omega, one of my uncles has a 2000 model. All the doors and glass are identical to vt/vx appart from rear window, door shape is identical. Only thing that sets them appart are the different 1/4 panels front and back, together with the different lights and bumpers! Inside there are a lot of bits that are the same. Also to mention the Omega has the same saggy ass IRS as commodore!

IMO the commodore looks better then current omega, from the outside but i think both have s*** interiors!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 14:34   #10 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

You're right XTRMN8, except that the Omega (and so too the same car in the US, the Cadillac Catera) are a fair whack smaller than a Commodore.

The whole car from the outside looks dimensionally identical to the Commdore. However, put the two side by side and you'll notice the main difference - the size. In particular, that panel up above the rear wheel on the Commodore looks particularly 'slab sided', and the wheelbase makes the commodore look like a cat ready to pounce.

Both the Omega and the Catera don't have that wide-footed stance. So it's more than a cut-and-shut job. The doors, for instance, on the Omega/Catera don't sag and bounce around like the Commodore, a result of the resizing. And there's no way you'd fit the 3.8 in there, let alone an LS1. The biggest engine in the Omeag/Catera is a 3.0L V6.

Having said all that, on that recent test-drive that Skaife did with an HSV, a BMW and a Merc at Nurburgring, all the Germans thought they were dealing with a protoype Omega for the DTM.

The design of the car has been copied, the design of the suspension has been copied. All the engines are imported.

But from that point on, much of the rest of the car is Australian Made. And even as a Ford fan, when you go overseas as an Aussie, suddenly you become proud of the Commodore too.

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub