Home Theatre Gear - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 20:31   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Home Theatre Gear

I'm wanting to get some new Home Theatre equipment but I'm not 100% sure what to get just yet, i'm aiming for a setup around 10k or less if possible.

Any experts out there who can help me out with what brand components are the best to get?
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2004, 21:11   #2 (permalink)

Re: Home Theatre Gear

i have a phillips plasma and LG wireless surround sound setup ,its 150 amps of thumpn power. also have a high def set top box for the hi def plasma, best picture ever.
the lg amp has a dvd player in it so im complete now and like to sit back and watch top gun and gone in 60 sec over and over.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:39   #3 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

OK I Actually set up home cinema in my spare time for a bit of money on theside and as a bit of a hobby.

With a 10K Budget, you will be able to get yourself a very very decent home cinema set up, thats basically the same price range in which mine is (Consisting of Jensen SPX tall Speakers all round, and the top range SPX dual 10" cone 250W Sub run through a Onkyo Amplifier).

That is the sort of system you could easily look at with a 10 Grand budget. I chose Jensen speakers as their sound, looks, and general package were the best (they also come with a 10 year warranty, even against overpowering)

However in the same price range, the best speakers up there with Jensen would be a brand by the name of "Dali", they have great sound and bass response however they dont look as great as the jensen speakers (functionality over looks). JBL subs are also pretty good.

Looking at amplifiers, I'd Definitely reccommend an Onkyo or Marantz amp with power outputs matching that that the speakers can handle. They do a great job.

As far as DVD players go, The best ones out there are made by pioneer. Its a bit of personal preference and from what i've heard, they are a great DVD player and put out the crispest quality picture and sound.

Really, on the forums, its hard to scratch the surface when it comes to Home cinema, if you have any more queries, PM me, i'd be happy to help you out.

cheers
-Dan

You know who I am...
-Dan
XR6child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:13   #4 (permalink)
6 Speed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
I'm wanting to get some new Home Theatre equipment but I'm not 100% sure what to get just yet, i'm aiming for a setup around 10k or less if possible.

Any experts out there who can help me out with what brand components are the best to get?
Does the 10K include the TV...?

This is my system

Denon 3803 Amp
Energy Speakers
Toshiba DVD
LG 42" DLP TV
DGTEC HD Set Top Box...

All for around 10 large for cash..

Cheers

BRad

Morpowa Custom Cold Air / Mal Wood Clutch / Underdrives / Dual 3" DiFillipo Exhaust / Xtreme/Bluepower Custom Tune
XR8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 04:47   #5 (permalink)

I'm sure you've heard this heaps of times, but...
Remember to take into account:

What type of music do you listen to?
Room size and acoustics (proximity to your neighbours )
Do you mainly watch movies or listen to music (or combination)?
Strength of your foundations
etc

I like Boston Acoustics speakers, the VR-M/VR range are meant to be really good. I have some speakers in the CR range, but with your budget you should go to the top!

My advice would be to buy the Sound and Image Yearbook (and alike) - they put out as they have a 'BFYB' -type awards every year (##disclaimer:they are not gospel!!)

Other than that, just go out to HIFI shops and listen! Everyone can tell you what they like (and theres nothing wrong with that), but in the end it should be your taste that decides what you get.

Forgive me if you've heard it all before
EL FUTURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:10   #6 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

I've got a partial setup and haven't completed it yet.. that's what happens when you buy an apartment in south Yarra... i miss the burbs for this very reason.. anyhow.. so far,

Yamaha AMP
Yamaha DVD player
Jamo speakers all round

When the house comes, items to include will be sub sort of SUB and possibly a plasma TV.
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:07   #7 (permalink)
{';'}

Lucky buggers.

Put aside a bit for cabling too (5-10%?) - often overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
Eh Yagz, suck my left teste mate I'll have boost for $1k, even if it is only 1 pound.

Check my ride, HERE
XRated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 08:01   #8 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Thanks guys, went for a quick look today and saw some fairly decent equipment, although it's probably going to end up over budget...

Whatmough P32 main speakers
Whatmough P7 centre
Whatmough PFX rears
Whatmough Hurricane sub
Denon DVD-2910
Not sure what amp to get still, I've used Denon gear in the past but would like to see what else is on offer like the Onkyo or even Yamaha.

I'm generally happy with the sound quality of the Whatmough although i'm not that set on the Hurricane sub unit so I might look around a bit more and see what else is on offer.

So much for budgets :S
Old 11-20-2004, 15:42   #9 (permalink)
351 - What a magic number

I've had all my gear for over 10 years, so it's probably somewhat outdated.
But to go with XR6child, I have Jensen (and Jamo) speakers, and a Marantz Amplifier as the heart of my system.

I'm yet to get into the digital visual side of things, but as far as my audio side is concerned, I'm very happy with what I have, and it has never failed me after this long.
Very good quality equipment that has stood the test of time.

Mind you, I'd love to go berserk and update to the new stuff.
I'd be quite happy to stick with the same to be honest.

The best part is the test-driving!!

Ed :)

HSV - I just don't want one....EVER!

My XF 3 on the tree ute is ALWAYS stuck in third......
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 16:10   #10 (permalink)

Onkyo vs Denon vs Yamaha vs Marantz..... Definately go Marantz, but wait for the new 500 series (SR 7500, SR 8500, SR 9500) because not only do they upscan all video signals to component (so you only have to use 1 input on your display), it will also have DVI switching too. All switching is broadcast quality too, so you don't loose as much in quality as compared to other receivers. They have great power and fantastic audio quality
These will be out early in the new year.

DVD player? I would wait for a Marantz Blu-Ray to get a really good one...

But they currently make a DVD/SACD/DVD Audio with PAL/NTSC Progressive Scan, and plays just about everything, also has DVI output.

Speakers? Go Dynaudio if you can www.dynaudio.com
If not Jamos or Jensens are good (so are many European brands)

Display? NEC PlasmaSync, or JVC DILA projector, if you want a cheap but good projector check out the Panasonic PTAE500 with 3 LCD chips and native 16:9 for about $4000 (no flyscreen effect, and good colors too)

It would be difficult to squeeze all that to $10,000 including display, if you up the budget to $15,000 which may be very difficult, you could get yourself an unbelievable system there (including display) - that would allow you to spend the most on speakers too, which is what should be done)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub