Horsepower wars S.M.H - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2002, 18:16   #1 (permalink)

Horsepower wars S.M.H

Power struggle for supercar crown
By Joshua Dowling, Motoring Editor
September 6 2002

The "supercar" rivalry of the 1970s reignited yesterday with Ford announcing the resurrection of its GT Falcon, 35 years after the legend was born.

The new GT Falcon, to be revealed at next month's Sydney Motor Show and on sale early next year priced about $70,000, is expected to have as much power as the 300kW GTS built by Holden Special Vehicles, the most powerful locally produced car.

But it is expected to overtake the Holden flagship in engine torque, the key to performance.

Some months ago Ford Australia president Geoff Polites said: "There won't be a power war, because we'll be so far above [Holden] it won't matter."

But yesterday both Ford and Holden tried to downplay the performance of the cars for fear of a safety backlash.

advertisement

advertisement

"We have been at a significant disadvantage in the past, but that won't happen any more," Mr Polites said. "We're not in a kilowatt war, we're in a car war."

He said the revival of the GT Falcon would not spark a supercar scare (which put an end to cars such as the Bathurst-winning Falcon GT in the '70s amid public safety fears) because "there are now plenty of other cars out there with that sort of performance".

"The cars might be more powerful [than the original GTs] but they are also heavier and have much more safety equipment," Mr Polites said.

The managing director of Holden Special Vehicles, John Crennan, said the new Commodore, due out next month, would not exceed 300kW. Mr Crennan also said "we're not in a power war, we're in a marketing war".

The tension between Holden and Ford is at a peak given both brands are on the eve of releasing the new Commodore and Falcon, Australia's two biggest-selling cars. Figures released yesterday by industry statistician VFACTS show Holden has beaten Ford for a record 60 consecutive months.

The car industry also powered on to record sales. The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries announced 69,647 new vehicles sold last month, 5.5 per cent more than the 65,998 sold in August last year.
ls1vx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2002, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Was this in the Drive section or in the general part of the paper?

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 20:31   #3 (permalink)

I`m sure on the main page, on the Right you`ll see a picture of an old GT. click
ls1vx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 21:03   #4 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Oh, on the internet. I was thinking you were talking about the tree killing version.....

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 21:12   #5 (permalink)
Tickford EL XR6

I've been thinking about the super scare issue lately, at least you can get discs on the rear as standard now and airbags :) reckon those 4WDs are the bigger menace now. Anyone here the arguments on JJJ this morning? Sorry, off the topic i know.

Interesting what Crenno says tho about a "marketing war", and I remeber Happy Jack saying a while ago that he wouldn't enter a kW battle with HSV.
Times and attitude change when you have the right hardware, hey.
Tickford6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 21:50   #6 (permalink)
We Love Greb Murpy

The supercars were banned for eccessive fuel useage; safety, or lack of; and inexperienced drivers using them, and causing havoc.
Tell me if all of those points don't comply with these huge lumps of wasteful turd.
ford.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 21:09   #7 (permalink)
[V8]Ford Power

All cars are so much better in terms of fuel economy it isnt even funny. Sequential EFI, fly by wire throttle control, unleaded, etc..... dont use half the fuel they used to.

Airbags, big brakes, ABS, traction control, huge advances in wheel, tyre and suspension design, crumple zones, soft dash and interior reworks, head rests on all seats, seat belt pretensioners, rear seat lap/sash belt integration.

These cars all cost $50 000 grand plus... plus, plus in some cases. Can all the people on here under 30 years old put their hand up who can afford to buy one of these cars. Lets face it... most the havoc is caused by younger people (me included) who can't afford these cars (in regard to crazy driving and havoc as opposed to just plain bad driving).

With all this in mind ford.boy I quite honestly don't know what you are talking about and don't think you do either.
Old 09-06-2002, 21:36   #8 (permalink)

It isn't the car that is going to kill people.
It is the driver. People kill themselves and other
in standard excells and mid 80's ford lasers.

If someone is a poor driver,
it doesn't matter what kind of car they are in,
Consequences of poor driving will happen.

Not all young drivers aim to meet telephone
poles sideways.

2 go in, 1 come out.
simno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub