HOTDBZ - Stung by the TSA bug
Well, the day has come, actually, it has already passed. Yes, yesterday I sent my beast back to TSA (aka Gas Research at Frankston Dandenong) for the next big step to quench my thirst for greater performance.
For those who don't know what I am talking about, here's the story (those who do, please bear with it for the moment). I had my AU XR6 turbocharged and intercooled by TSA last November. Before that project, it was running 112rwkw with HM headers, 2.5" sports exhaust with high flow cat, powerchip, mild cam, cold air intake, BMC CDA, the lot with a stock engine. I brought it into TSA and the owner, Scott, did wonders to the car with a custom-made turbo manifold, a modest-sized T03 blower, front mounted intercooler, and a new piggyback chip. That project brought the car up to 170rwkw and running only 7psi boost. Waitaminute, did I say my XR6 is an auto? Yes, stock engine, and stock adaptive shift auto transmission. 9 months on and no problems at all. Very happy customer.
But then, as the days go by, I outgrew the amount of power the stage 2 TSA kit could provide. Not saying that the setup as bad or anything, its just me. I'm very "adaptive"...hence I went back to TSA for more. Planning for this project started in Feb this year. Yes, that means I started my search for more power just after only 4 months from the first project. This time, I knew I had to look at mucking around with the internals, meaning the block, pistons, and transmission. A bigger turbo would be nice, a new manifold, removal of the battery from the bay area so that the air filter feeds straight into the blower instead of having it routed over the rocker cover. Bigger piping was also on the agenda, not forgetting I'll also be needing a new computer. So the hunt for parts began....
Un-Naturally Aspirated AU XR6
Track Progress of Mods: Click Me!
Last edited by HOTDBZ; 09-22-03 at 10:29 PM.