how long will it last? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2002, 05:02   #1 (permalink)

how long will it last?

I am wondering if anybody from the car industry reads these forums, as I have a question, hypothetical of course.

I am currently in possession of a ZK Fairlane, 1982 model, V8. It is now 20 years old, and has travelled 450,000kms, although it is a bit like "Grandpas' axe" it really hasn't had a lot of problems, mechanicaly or bodywise. Rust spots here and there removed, a new trans 8 years ago, a new engine 200,000kms ago (cos I wanted one)

The question I wish to ask is, with all the electronic gadgetry, and things like the VCT system in the new Barra, and the turbo on the six and similar stuff, will the "modern" car last 20 years or more? It seems to me that all these technological advances mean that there are more things to go wrong. And mor expensive to fix?

I realise that asking a question like this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but maybe someone can come up with a comment?
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2002, 05:12   #2 (permalink)

Very good question!!! Everything is electronic or computerised now. What has me woried is the 'Fly By Wire' accelerator. what if that malfunctions while you got your boot into it? I know they endless testing, but there aint nothing like real world testing!!!
Old 10-11-2002, 05:17   #3 (permalink)

All my EF-EL Taxis have done more kms than your car has from much harder driving so their is no reason why a BA won't do a million plus km. But you have raised a good point but when manufacturers discontinue parts you are either forced to cannibalise parts from the wreckers or search for aftermarket stuff. My EA is a good example of that soon the parts have been stopped being manufactured though it can use EA-EL parts where necesary as they are generally the same for most fittings. Though when Ford run out of parts you have to go aftermarket or visit your wrecker.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 03:53   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

I remember an old guy saying those exact words when I bought an X.D new.He had an X.A..
To think of it though what wears out even on an old car? Usually body and engine/transmision. Mechanical stuff that wears out. Even in those older cars the electronics though few are still working, or can be replaced easy..So I guess the new ones will be much the same, only better.I hope!!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 04:12   #5 (permalink)

It is interesting though, that no-one from the auto (Ford) manufacturing industry has replied. I know that ,as AU_guy said, they can test to destruction, but nothing equates to the real world.

I am considering buying a"Barra", but it will be my last car purchase (I am disclosing my age here) and MUST last 20 years or more.Cannot someone from the industry talk to me?

The "fly by wire " accelerator has been used on heavy vehicles (Freightliners) for a while now, and is quite acceptable. It works on the rheostat principle, the same as your dashboard lights, but thye accellerator pedal is weighted. (Most diesels are driven with the pedal flat to the floor anway)

C'mon someone from the Ford camp, how about a comment?
creature3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub