How much could i get outta a 3.9 MPFI? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 03:28   #1 (permalink)

How much could i get outta a 3.9 MPFI?

I have a EA Falcon, 5 speed, slighty modded.

Full Exhaust System, modded lifters, and a few other bits and pieces. The motor puts out 165 Kw @ the fly, but how much could these engines put out if heavily modded?

I feel 165kw is a little conservative. Who has more? and what did you do? Who has the most? What is the most these motors can put out?
MrBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 14:51   #2 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Um how do you know it has 165@ the flywheel? did you take the motor out just to dyno it?
Also what are the other bits and pieces you have already?
Depends how far you want to go and how much money you want to spend. If you have a good 8g in the bank then I would rebuild and turbo it for some good power. (Done properly 8g could see around 220rwkw)
If not than I'd tend to follow this flow for more power.
Extractors>wild cam>better induction (think EF manifold)>head off for some porting/bigger valves/shaved (only a little bit tho)
At this point a Unichip would be advisable to take advantage of the said mods.
then Bottom end work (if cash provideds it should be done at the same time as the head)
For the bottom end I'd stay with you current block (the ED onwards motors have better counterweights but if you have the crank balanced and blueprinted you get smoothness with out the extra weight in the crank. Keep in mind though that increasing the weight of the crank does increase touque at the sacrifice of revability.
The standard conrods are pretty tough so get them shotpeaned (this increases surface area of the material and makes it stronger and keeps it cooler under hard work)
New pistons should be done as well but don't look to increase compression to much as I've heard that the Falcon motors tend to loose power at anything above 10.5:1 unless you plan to run race fuel.
O ring the block and head if you want but it depends on how far you want to go.
With that type of build up you may need new injectors and a higher volume fuel pump but you should see over 165rwkw if you did all that (didn't say it would be cheap though!)

The most these motors can do is simply limited by the cash in your pocket. There is a guy called 6boost on performance forums that has 650hp at the wheels from his turbo EA motor. I have heard of as much as 450kw at the wheels but these are all forced induction motors.
I'd say that with a bit of work and some high quality engineering you could get about 180rwkw before the law of dimished returns sets in.
Just remeber that you 150,000km+ gear box and diff are not going to handle any huge increase in power for long.
Old 01-19-2003, 14:54   #3 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

oh and of course there are a lot of finer points I missed there such as better oil pumps, bearings blah blah blah.
Don't skip the cash on anything cause the last thing you want it you 150rwkw beasty to die because you slapped your old oil pump back in.
Old 01-19-2003, 18:56   #4 (permalink)
Black BA

Since your in Adelaide, go see the boys at Chris Milton Engineering. They race EA's for a living and trust me, they know how to make 'em go!.
I have an EA S-pack 5 speed with the following mods returning a conservative 180kw at the flywheel with a heap more torque. That's an estimate from dyno runs with other engines built to the same spec, not my actual engine. With port job, revised cam (actually very mild), set of good pacemaker headers, inlet manifold lifted from a 4.0l ED port matched to head (ED manifold is straight swap except diameter of inlet runners is larger giving more torque), good exhaust and air filter. K&N pod works well.
All reasonably cheap mods and sounds like you've done some of it already. The above will scare the crap out of SS owners at the lights too.
But as always the fatter the wallet the faster she go's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub