How much damage can tyre tread do? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 23:14   #1 (permalink)
Respect the Bulge

How much damage can tyre tread do?

Yesterday

My dearly beloved was driving off the Mulgrave freeway. The car in front of her suddenly swerved leaving her no time to see that a retread, possibly from a truck, judging by the length, was on the road. She ran over it precisely on the tyre it ripped the front spoiler off the car almost completely. 6 week old SR Falcon. (Lucky though it wasn't the GT-P)

She is a bit shaken up but I found out today that the Insurance company about $1,900 plus we have to pay the $450 excess as we could not nominate someone else as being at fault.

Steven
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 01:51   #2 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Re: How much damage can tyre tread do?

That sucks. I'd report the incident to the police and request the video footage of that stretch of freeway. The driver/owner of the truck is at fault and should be made to pay their excess, not you.

If your not confident of getting the tapes then get a lawyer and have them chase it up... just make sure if the matter goes to court you claim legal expenses as well.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:36   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
That sucks. I'd report the incident to the police and request the video footage of that stretch of freeway. The driver/owner of the truck is at fault and should be made to pay their excess, not you.

If your not confident of getting the tapes then get a lawyer and have them chase it up... just make sure if the matter goes to court you claim legal expenses as well.
You'd never get a copy of the RTA tapes ever. It comes down to privacy laws, stupid stupid laws. Seeing as retreads are only legal on the drive wheels of the prime mover or the tri, the driver may not have noticed one recap come off. If the tyre blew its a different story you'd feel it, but where a bit of rubber comes off a truck that weigh's 50,ooo+kg's the driver mightn't notice it if it doesn't rip any brake lines off.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:47   #4 (permalink)
Whats traction?

Well, thats why I'd want a lawyer. They may be able review only the offending incident (as it qualifies in my books as negligent driving).

You could argue that, without the tapes, you can never klnow if it was just the recap or the wole tyre. If it was the whole tyre i think you have a case.
Old 11-16-2004, 02:54   #5 (permalink)
Ford Enthusiast

free/highways are bloody warzones when it comes to debris from other cars and whatnot. mum was driving home from work in the ba fairmont (<<- avatar) when the car in front hit some crate thing which flicked off into the concrete divider and then rebounded back into the path of the car. there was a guy beside and behind her so she couldnt exactly slam on the brakes or swerve it, and as a result there is a scrape on the body kit and some chunks of paint (lightning strike) out of the bonnet. another time dad was driving on the same stretch of highway and came up behind a dump truck, and as it hit a bump in the highway, bits of gravel came out and hit the bonnet causing more damage. im not sure how/if that incident was followed up. having the whole front spoiler taken out is a hell of a lot worse though, there are truck tyre treads all over the highway here but most of them are off to the side
Old 11-16-2004, 03:16   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, thats why I'd want a lawyer. They may be able review only the offending incident (as it qualifies in my books as negligent driving).

You could argue that, without the tapes, you can never klnow if it was just the recap or the wole tyre. If it was the whole tyre i think you have a case.
It's nearly impossible to lose a whole tyre, i meant if the tyre blew causing the cap to come off. Why you bother spending thousands and thousands of dollars to go to court for the sake of $45o espically seeing as you could possibly never prove which truck it cam off. We had a driver the other day who had just got his truck i mean bull bar fixed after hiting a car, the driver of the car cut in front of the truck and got hit hard. It took the truck driver 2oo meters before he realized the smoke and it wasnt the bloke next to him honking but it was the car under the front. Wrote the little beema off and the driver never noticed. A tuck that heavy esp a B double wont notice a cap come off if it doesnt rip air lines off causing brakes to lock.

"Its not the 300rwkw, its the instant V8 torque that kills things"
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:06   #7 (permalink)
Respect the Bulge

Quote:

It was on the off ramp, so no vision even potentially available.

As to seeking legal damages we both run our own businesses and the benefit of doing that would pale into insignificance next to the money that would be forgone. Ie it;s just not worth the hastle.

Steven
Old 11-16-2004, 13:51   #8 (permalink)
Two Letters, GT!

Yeah, debri is a real problem on freeways.

I was driving down the hume in my old work truck when suddenly a large bang. I ran over something, dunno what. It blew the right rear tyre and put a hole in my petrol tank.

74' Sandstone Biege XBGT, 351, FMX, Sunroof, Air Con, Power Steering.
Black EX-R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 15:25   #9 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

Well, you could argue that you shouldn't be following so close to the car in front that you can't see and evade the danger anyhow (like the car in front did).

It's a pointless exercise blaming the trucks because from experience you never feel the tread get thrown, and even if you did what are you gonna do? Pull the 65 tonnes over onto a soft verge and walk back 700 metres or more to pull the tread off a busy road with kamikaze car drivers SMSing their friends. Then if you survive get back and find the truck's sunk into the soft verge and you now need a tow?

Come to think of it, why not join the govt and media and blame truckies for everything. It seems to be a national pastime even though we all rely on having our food in our supermarkets, and our courier parcel in Melbourne first thing overnight from Sydney.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 15:51   #10 (permalink)

Getting hit by a retread is much worse on a motorbike, especially when it gets flicked airborne by the truck in front, I nearly lost my left arm due to this.

Cars dont matter so much all I've had is some big scratches on the bonnet and lost an aerial but they can be fixed and replaced, you'll never find who left the shit on the road unless it comes off the vehicle in front so it aint worth worrying about. This shit happens all the time.
EFECTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub