How much fuel does running A/C use? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2003, 22:58   #1 (permalink)

How much fuel does running A/C use?

I know a few people who will win their windows down on stinking hot days instead of running the A/C to save money. On of them drives an AU. In our VS Grange, the trip computer is able to display other information that doesnt usually show up unless you hold the "Set" button in while you start the engine. This then displays km/h digitally (which, for some reason is 4km/h faster than the analog speedo) and also consumption in Liters per hour (which would be a more true way of measuring how much fuel was groing through the engine at one instance. Idling, it will show about 2.2-2.5L/h I decided to do the experiment of seeing how much more using the A/C used. At the time it was displaying 2.5L/h without the A/C and 2.6L/h with it on (thats 100ml per hour more, or 8.5c) Hardly worth boiling over?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2003, 23:16   #2 (permalink)
Another Ford Driver

Re: How much fuel does running A/C use?

I'm not really so worried about the fuel consumption as the loss of power and the noticeable change this causes in the behaviour of the auto gearbox. My dad's AU forte is a lot more reluctant to kick down when the air conditioning is on, this has caused a couple of problems before so I generally dont use the air conditioning at all. The boss's VY SS doesn't change behaviour with the air con on or off, but then again the auto in that is a pain in the ass anyway.
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 23:25   #3 (permalink)
goooone

The amount of fuel difference is so little it's not worth worrying about if you've spent so much money to get air why waste it by not using it. As for power I notice it on big hills in my Laser but in larger cars it doesn't make a huge difference & it's not like your racing so who cars about the at most several kw it uses
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 23:42   #4 (permalink)
cArSiK

good thread.
I dont worry about the fuel , loss of power ect Im more worried about the fact that it increases my engine temp way too much

james
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 23:57   #5 (permalink)
Newbie #10458632

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
This then displays km/h digitally (which, for some reason is 4km/h faster than the analog speedo)
I know that Ford use a 3 km/h difference (e.g. every new Ford car is actually traveling 3km/h slower than it's claiming it is). I can't remember the reason, but there is one - I read about it once before.
twr7cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 00:35   #6 (permalink)

if i had AC i'd be using like i do water(qld heat sux) but yeah the consuption is little,so not worth worrying about.

i love the old style of all windows down thats free and doesnt cost ya*winks*
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:09   #7 (permalink)
BSR

Not sure of exact figures but it is more economical driving with aircon on than it is to drive at 60kph or greater and have both front windows down........

12/03 FPV GT 725
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:33   #8 (permalink)
gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8
Not sure of exact figures but it is more economical driving with aircon on than it is to drive at 60kph or greater and have both front windows down........

Does that take into account ya granda ma and possie in the car?
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 01:50   #9 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

Well I'm one of those non air con users.
I notice the few killerwat's not their and I want them back.
Also just because your car's air con doesn't make much differance doesn't account for every other car.
I notice much more fuel usage in the EB with the air con on so I turn it off and wind down the window.

BTW winding the windows down is only going to effect your drag co at about 90kph.
Admittantly the figure may be lower if both windows are down due to the cross flow effect.

Another reason I leave it off is because I prefer to get used to the weather around me rather than constantly change from hot to cold. Makes me sweat a lot more and it lowers your ability to cope.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:50   #10 (permalink)
Rail Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
good thread.
Im more worried about the fact that it increases my engine temp way too much

james

Get a cooler thermostat during Summer.

Clean the crud out from between the condensor and the radiator.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub