How my taxi driver hit a stobie poll :( - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2003, 01:07   #1 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

roll How my taxi driver hit a stobie poll :(

In an AU taxi with a mate on new year's eve driving in Adelaide on the Golden Way. Speed limit there is 70km/h, but our taxi was doing about 80 - 90km/h. We came around a blind corner only to see a stobie poll lying across the road in front of us. The taxi driver locked everything up (wetish road) and hit the stobie poll. He actually did very well not to let the car veer into the barrier or into the gutter. We slid about a little and stopped. We both jumped out of the car and tried to flag down the people before they drove into it. An excel drove into the poll before we could move it and damaged the front of the car.

We managed to get the poll of the road, and by that time a magna had pulled up. He told us he saw a Commodore drive off after losing control and hitting the stobie poll. He had apparrantly lost control turning the corner and gone up onto the grass, taking out the stobie poll and the drove off leaving the thing in the middle of the road blocking both lanes. Now to me that is just ridiculous. To be so spineless and to drive off leaving a great big dirty poll in the middle of a blind corner is just inexcusable. The persons license should be burnt and never given back.

The taxi actually came out of it pretty well - the rear tyre was deflated because the rim had buckled but either than panel damage it was ok. He then drove us home and that was the end of that. Interesting experience. The cops were called but we waited for 20mins and they didnt show up!
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2003, 01:18   #2 (permalink)
Wildlife Photographer

That's just bloody rediculous !

I was driving down South Road Hill last night and there were cops everywhere, they blocked off 2 lanes because someone lost control, swerved onto the side and rolled his car.
Damn, what a way to spend new years eve.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
Blue Blooded Ford Man

Hey thats right near my place. Was it on the corner of the golden way were ya turn off Macentire (i think) People always lose it up onto that strip of grass.
Old 01-01-2003, 20:37   #4 (permalink)

stobie poll? what????? :)
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:48   #5 (permalink)
Chromed Member

2 questions:

wtf is a stobie poll

and...

did he leave the meter running whilst wrapped around the pole

and...

did he still charge you??

oops thats 3 !?!?
botch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 01:52   #6 (permalink)
goooone

3rd person here who has no idea what a stobie pole is
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 02:43   #7 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Kinda reminds me of a classic cab ride I had the (dis)pleasure in taking.

The cab driver mounted a newly constructed roundabout, well it had been there for about 3 months, but the cabbie hadn't crossed paths with it previously.... Anyway, he quipped an unforgetable, and rather funny remark:

"Sh!t, who put that there!?"

PS: I thought I was the only one. Stobie pole?
FFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:39   #8 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

Stobie Pole = The generic name for all posts in South Australia, These include power lines, street lighting and traffic lights. In the strict sense a Stobie Pole is a Power Pole that is made from metal and is concrete reinforced, they last for ever, don't get destroyed by termites (was the main problem with pine power poles) and obviously, they do ALOT of damage if a car hits them being steel and concrete reinforced poles.

In this case on the Golden Way, it would of hit a street light pole more than likely, because those transmission line posts are huge and would of caused a major black out if a car managed to hit that and get away
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 03:46   #9 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

Yes it was a street light. Sorry about the slang. We here call all poles Stobie polls for some reason!

The PRICK left his car idiling and the meter on for about 10mins! Probably about $5 - 10 worth. We basically changed the tyre for him as he had no idea! But he was good enough to just say $20 covered the trip. (would have been about $30 after all that) The car wasnt wrapt around the pole as the pole was on the road. Pretty interesting experience tho!

My mates dad was supposed to drive us in his VY SS - lucky he didnt - he would have damaged his new car :(
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 06:56   #10 (permalink)

why call it a stobie poll when you can just call it a poll??? :)
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub