How strong are new cars? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2002, 09:28   #1 (permalink)

How strong are new cars?

Hey my mate was involved in an accident not long ago, broke one of his ankels and fractured the other. He was in a VN calais, passenger seat and his mate was driving. His mate swerved to miss a dog and hit a power poll. Damaged the front left of car and the front left wheel actually went through the firewall and jarred in his legs, which cause the injuries. I was wondering if they were in a new AU falcon with dual airbags, do you reckon his injuries would of been avoided? Cause i was discussing this to him and we both didnt really know. Also would you believe they would of faired better in a current model barina?

thanks
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2002, 15:15   #2 (permalink)

you just can't say with these things. it depends what speed he was traveling at, how and where did his car impact with the pole, how structurally sound the car was (no previous dings, not a bodgy chop job) and so on.
Old 03-10-2002, 16:00   #3 (permalink)
Evil Holden Overlord

Generally, airbags will not affect ankle injuries ... it all depends on the circumstances ...
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 16:18   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Can't do a whole lot about wheels intruding into passenger cells although it's not supposed to happen. It's the real value in the European frontal offset crash tests rather than the head on into the barrier we're so fond of here. Apart from the fact that they don't simulate most fatal accidents very well it creates the situation where vehicles are built to pass that test.
I'd still rather be in a late model vehicle with the improved vehicle dynamics and passive / active safety features if it comes to the big crunch but no amount of safety equipment is going to beat the laws of physics. At least not at a price we could afford.
The other factor worth mentioning is the increase in risk taking that has become apparent as cars have become safer - it only increases out feeling of invincibility (sadly).
Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 03:11   #5 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

Commodores have a rather shite plastic firewall which is held in with some bolts and lots of glue. I dare say it wouldnt do much for the car's structural integrity.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:03   #6 (permalink)
Mr. Embargo

Here is some information specific to the offset frontal impact safety features of the Falcon.

The AU3 front structure incorporates a sub-frame breakaway feature and a new side rail with refined collapse mode. These features will work to provide controlled crush management, optimising protection of the cabin's safety cell. (see image below)

In addition to this, the AU3 incorporates a Laminated Impact Protection Panel (LIPP) in the driver's footwell, under the carpet. The LIPP is almost 30mm thick and consists of two layers of steel covered and filled with energy-absorbing foam.

The LIPP carries the driver's heels rearward with any intruding floor panels and, as a result, helps to avoid over-rotation of the ankle joint and entrapment of the feet. In addition, the steel acts like armour and the foam reduces heel shock. Crash tests indicate that it's very effective in reducing an injury measure called "tibia index". The end result is better lower leg protection for Falcon drivers.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:52   #7 (permalink)
Dual Exhaust Warrior™

Quote:
Originally posted by adviliax mortus
you just can't say with these things. it depends what speed he was traveling at, how and where did his car impact with the pole, how structurally sound the car was (no previous dings, not a bodgy chop job) and so on.
I agree u never know, there are SO many circumstances that effect the final out come. When i got t-boned in the XW, the police said that i was lucky i wasnt driving a Hyundai Exsmell or a Suzuki Shit., o/wise it wouldve been BYE BYE CHARLIE for me.

I also saw a (then) brand new AU1 XR8 in the same yard as mine that got t-boned aswell. They said it was low speed but the driver was in critical condition in hospital. The car looked like a boomerang!! and his seat was were the console shouldve been. The seat was also about half its original width... I was goin 2 take a picture of it but it was parked right up along side a 7 ft brick fence. Ill tell ya.. it makes you wonder.. VERY VERY SCARY!
Old 03-11-2002, 06:36   #8 (permalink)
Ex Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XWJG34

I agree u never know, there are SO many circumstances that effect the final out come. When i got t-boned in the XW, the police said that i was lucky i wasnt driving a Hyundai Exsmell or a Suzuki Shit., o/wise it wouldve been BYE BYE CHARLIE for me.

I also saw a (then) brand new AU1 XR8 in the same yard as mine that got t-boned aswell. They said it was low speed but the driver was in critical condition in hospital. The car looked like a boomerang!! and his seat was were the console shouldve been. The seat was also about half its original width... I was goin 2 take a picture of it but it was parked right up along side a 7 ft brick fence. Ill tell ya.. it makes you wonder.. VERY VERY SCARY!
the XR8 wasnt moving very fast, but the truck that slammed into him was going pretty quick !
Old 03-11-2002, 09:00   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by adviliax mortus
they were in left hand lane, poles on left of them, swerved left, front left corner of car hit hole. Damage was substantial, considering the front wheel went through the firewall, bonnent was stuffed, and front quarter panel.
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 12:28   #10 (permalink)
FM
The SparkleHunter™

Thanks for that RPO.. Very interesting stuff. It's amazing just what goes into new vehicles these days..
FordForums Polo Shirts & Caps are now on sale.. Get both for $50.00 + postage. Click here for details!
FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub