HSV GTS - Supercharged in UK - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2002, 20:16   #1 (permalink)
Australian TE50 AU1 Member

HSV GTS - Supercharged in UK

In the latest edition of the pommy car magazine, EVO, there is an article on the HSV GTS-R. It is a GTS that has been supercharged by HSV’s servicing arm, Linden Special Vehicles (LSV). Apparently the GTS is seen as an alternative to the M5, with comments like...” the GTS-R matches the German icon for sheer performance and it’s chassis balance can teach the Munich uber-saloon a thing or two” and.....” The massive brakes (343mm cross-drilled front, 315mm rear) are tireless and bite with conviction right at the top of the pedal travel whilst the steering is accurate, weighty and surprisingly direct.” It was a relative bargain but a pricing restructuring now see the GTS-R only 2000 pounds cheaper than the M5. The poms seem to be rapped in the thing, regarding it as a powerful large sedan with great handling. All this begs the question, How would they react to the TS50? (or Laminge’s old beast for that matter), with even massiver 355mm brakes. It seems there is a market in Europe for these cars, and with the Ford and Tickford name behind them you would think they would fall head over heels for our mighty car.

As for times it is estimated that the GTR-R will do 0-100kph in 4.5 secs, very very quick.
It pumps out 502hp (6050rpm) and 457 lb ft (you do the conversions)

What’s the general consensus, Should Ford be pushing to sell the T series in the UK and the rest of Europe?
TeeHee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2002, 20:30   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I looked at the HSV UK site ages ago and I thought the GTS was the 250 kW version (at the time) and the 300 kW was the GTS-R. Guess it must have changed.

But I can assure you that HSV is regarded as an old fashioned, crude kind of car that just happens to be lost of fun. Its primary market is apparently people who have expensive cars like Aston Martin and want something cheaper to drive around in every day.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 23:52   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

In uk..
The 255Kw is the GTS
The 300Kw is the GTS-R
The Supercharged is based of the GTS (clubsport here) and they wack on a supercharger after the first 5000 km..

From what I have gathered many EVO readers are expecting the tickford Falcons to surface in the uk soon, as its a natural compeitor to the HSV's which are highly desireable (waiting list is now quite long, and for the utes is really hard to get onto)..

Ford/tickford could be assured of a niche market. I think the whole "its not a merc or a BMW, but they are as fast and are more fun" thing works in the UK.. After all Australian made cars have previously been pretty big successes in the UK..
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 07:21   #4 (permalink)
Australian Ford Member

interesting, does tickford Australia have a website in the UK???I know they will sell XR8s under another name soon, same price as 525 BMW.
ayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 20:36   #5 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I found the HSV site (and everything else I wrote) through a Drive article many months back. I just had a quick look and couldn't find any Tickford UK site.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 04:30   #6 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

Theres an SV300 thats just come out of a workshop here (york I think) that has had a blower strapped on. It should be, ummm, very interesting to drive to say the least!
Old 04-15-2002, 14:34   #7 (permalink)
1 bad 302

Quote:
Originally posted by Road Warrior
Theres an SV300 thats just come out of a workshop here (york I think) that has had a blower strapped on. It should be, ummm, very interesting to drive to say the least!
I think it's called "Mark's Garage".
York is a bit too far unless one likes to travel. About 50 K's from Midland.???
dragonV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:34   #8 (permalink)
Veteran revhead

Yeah about that I would say, about 45 minutes.

Marks garage has done a couple of blown LS1's now, for City customers. I guess we will have to wait and see..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub