Hume Highway drivers!! (shaking my head!) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

The Pub For General Discussion

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2002, 05:13   #1 (permalink)
100% Speeding (when safe)

Hume Highway drivers!! (shaking my head!)

2 trips on the hume...

On the Friday 29/11, i drove up to Sydney, cruising at 125 130 all the way really. Just taking it easy........

As always theres not too many cars on it, and just as many trucks. At one time about 300km from Sydney, i passed a huge curtain sider b-double semi doing bout 100 or so, I doing 130km or a bit more, and just after passing him going down hill rolling at about 150. I looked in my mirror after doing 150 or so for a couple of km, and the truck wasnt too far behind, i thought he'd be a bit further back seeing i was soing 150 odd, then i slowd back to 130 on the flat, the truck dropped back, then the road went down further, i kett on 130, and to my suprise had the big b-double roaring up towards me!! he screamed past, i couldnt help myself but to see how fast he was going and he was doin, by my speedo 160 km/h!!!!!!

Im like "what the!?"then on the flat he went back down to 100 or so and i passed him again.

Just a bit further up a VX sedan with a couple of businessmen passed me at 160 (i checked,lol), they stopped further up for a break then passed me again later at 160,lol. 160 is a nice speed for a well maintained car on this great road i think. I just cant get myself any more 3 pointer fines,lol :-) but its way too fast for a b-double!!

So further toward Sydney, round Liverpool, it was raining real real hard, the traffic was thick thick thick!! You just couldnt see where you were going at all, but still everyones doing 130, especially courier vans !! (I HATE vans!!) im trying to keep a good distance for braking, and do luckily!! as as i thought, we all cant keep driving this close together without a stack. Then everyone his the brakes!! cars swerved out of their lanes, up ahead a VX stationwagon had spun off thru some median strip bushes crumpleing every panel i could see, another car was in a ditch another was covered in grass from some paddock excursion! I knew it was going to happen!!

I got to Sydney safely :-)!!

Yesterday morning i went to Mt Buffalo waterskiing, up the Hume again, sitting on 125 130, as thats a nice speed, and hopefully the cops wont get me for doing such a reasonably slow speed. No cars at all. A sunday morning.
We were discussing in the car about speed etc and how its not dangerouns as long as its done safely.
Quite close to Glenrowan a new dark Green Mitsubishi Dual Cab Triton 4x4 ute had swerved across the deserted freeway, tipped over and slid roof 1st into a big tree crushing the cabin totally. The dead driver was pulled out by the emergency crew in attendance. I dont know who else was in there or what, but i cant stand to see this type of crash where there is just no excuse!!!! Obviously fell asleep at the wheel, while driving a usless dangerous top heavy "hilux" like car! it tipped over as easy as a sleeping cow!

Im safe driving at 160 in the right conditions, i can totally be truthful in saying that, as long as im "AWAKE" and alert to the conditions, same as im safe driving driving at 80 on the same road. But driving while asleep, well! What do you expect!!

Please take breaks!!

I do lots of drving, im off to Adelaide this Thursday, and i speed all the time in a safe manner, and at times where my risk of being caught is at the lowest. But when i feel at all sleepy, i pull over straight away and nap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2002, 05:19   #2 (permalink)

Oh yeah, the Triton Ute crashed at most proably the speed limit of 110, I didnt die, the businessmen didnt die, and unbelievably the truck driver didnt die!!

And, ill bet the highwas patrol Police (you idiots!!!!!!) will blame speed on the 4x4 accident!!!!!

At that time it was a lovely day, perfect for highway crusing. not like the rainy day when the VX commodore wagon crashed.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:29   #3 (permalink)

Oh, and If the Police caught me doing 130 or whatever, would they have saved my life or anyone elses? nope!
What about the VX businessmen, who were sensible enough to pull over for a break, would they have saved their life by taking their license away for doing 160? no!!

The truck, well, i think thats too fast, lol, he needs a fine i think :-) lol

But the Triton doing, most probably the speed limit, he wouldnt have even been pulled over but he still died.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:44   #4 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

have to agree 100% there mate, i have noticed the same thing, but usually up here its the rusted out busted arse shitters screaming their poor little 1.4s out on underinflated cross-plies doing the speed limit on the highway, when people in AU XR8s and SS commodores get pulled over for 120 in a 110 in good conditions...DAMMIT WHY DONT COPPERS AND THE GOVERNMENT WAKE UP AND SMELL THE GODDAMN ROSES!!!!

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 20:18   #5 (permalink)

Because theyre braindead public servants only good for collecting revenue.
New cameras on Western Ring Road (melb)
"Saftey cameras"theyre called, how are they keeping the roads safe from speeders when u cant see them (there on the other side of the exit signs on top of the overhead gantries)
just goes to show how stupid and lame the police and governments think we are

"revenue Cameras"
Old 12-10-2002, 18:17   #6 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

I'm surprised about the B-Double as these vehicles have speed limiters fitted as mandatory as well as recording systems. However, the speed limiter does not stop the down hill speeding.

In my opinion the speed limits for trucks should be increased on the high spec freeways to allow drivers to legally do the SYD-MEL trip in two stints. That makes my proposed speed limit in the range of 110-120km/h. It just makes more sense to give drivers more rest time versus more time at the wheel.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 20:56   #7 (permalink)
Aus ls1 *********

Quote:
Originally posted by nitroman
Because police are braindead public servants only good for collecting revenue.
And who is the first person you call when your house is burgled or your car gets stolen???? Interesting. Think that over.
HRT 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 21:03   #8 (permalink)

There was a recent report on one the so called current affairs programs in Melbourne explaining how most of the trucks on our highways are not limited and how easy it is to remove the speed limiter. I thought the 100kmh limit was in place to was to try and stop the recap tyres that most trucks run from overheating and shredding up. Either way I think any increase in speed limits for trucks is a bad idea given they dont normally go the speed limit anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Pete
I'm surprised about the B-Double as these vehicles have speed limiters fitted as mandatory as well as recording systems. However, the speed limiter does not stop the down hill speeding.

In my opinion the speed limits for trucks should be increased on the high spec freeways to allow drivers to legally do the SYD-MEL trip in two stints. That makes my proposed speed limit in the range of 110-120km/h. It just makes more sense to give drivers more rest time versus more time at the wheel.
Old 12-10-2002, 21:16   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HRT 8
And who is the first person you call when your house is burgled or your car gets stolen???? Interesting. Think that over.
Yeah we call them but half the time what goos does that ever do you.. We call them because we HAVE TO, for insurance reasons and the fact that they might be able to help.
puts99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 21:19   #10 (permalink)
EA Falcon.com Member

I think that while trucks should have limiters. They should be increased to around 120/130km/h also. I can imagine nothing more frustrating and potentially dangerous than a truck stuck behind a little old lady doing 85km/h on one of the many interstate roads where there is only 2 lanes (one each way) and having to overtake her at a limited 100km/h. This would be almost impossible during holiday seasons and eventually I think the truckie would be tempted to take risks with oncoming traffic just to get past.

3.9 CFI Falcon. King Springs, Monroe GT Shockers. Formula 1 Tinted windows. Pioneer 3350 Head Unit, 12" JL Audio Sub. 6"-9" Pioneer 3 Ways, 4" Clarion 2 Ways, 500watt Schneider Amp, 222watt Sony Xplode Amp. Really shitty 14" Jelly Beans
Clutterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > The Pub